Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does a 340c fit into a Salamander Synergy cabinet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    Unless you're stuck putting your center channel on a shelf below the TV, you should seriously consider the mounting option Lee linked to. It looks clean and offers the best sound quality for RPTVs.
    I'm not 'stuck' putting it there, just thought it'd look stealthier. Mistake you think to place it inside? Now I'm curious about Lee's suggestion. If it makes any difference, I have 50" plasma that'll be wall-mounted. I'd like a credenza to block the kiddies from the TV, rather than an AV cabinet off to the side. Tips?

Default Lower end cabinets

IKEA furniture is closer to the price range I've been looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by lmm
    IKEA furniture is closer to the price range I've been looking at.
    On AVS, many people have been satisified with the Ikea Oppli because it's low enough that the centerline of the screen is at or very near eye level for many DLP and LCD RPTVs.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    I'm not 'stuck' putting it there, just thought it'd look stealthier. Mistake you think to place it inside? Now I'm curious about Lee's suggestion. If it makes any difference, I have 50" plasma that'll be wall-mounted. I'd like a credenza to block the kiddies from the TV, rather than an AV cabinet off to the side. Tips?
    I mentioned "stuck" because my wife vetoed the wall mount idea.

It does look slick having it below the screen, but IMO a well executed above screen mount looks very nice as well.

There are a few reasons I'd prefer an above screen mount vs. a below screen mount in most cases. We have a harder time localizing sounds from above us than below us. The front soundstage many times is more seamless with an above screen mount. With below screen mounts, the speaker is closer to the floor, and the sound is more affected by reflective surfaces such as the floor and furniture. This can be minimized by angling the speaker up towards the listening position. Also, Dave F.recommends an above screen mount.

I'm using a below screen mount as a compromise, and in reality it isn't a horrible compromise. It's just not an ideal placement, so I'm not getting the most out of the speaker. An above screen mount is still a compromise, but I believe the best one available for RPTVs. Front projection HTs can use an acoustically transparent screen and have the L/C/R speakers at exactly the same height, which is the best scenario.

Being a sound and music nut, I find that it's best to push the equipment and room setup envelope as far as the WAF will allow. Do as much as your wallet and wife will tolerate. If you can do an above screen mount, it would sound better, and you wouldn't need to look for a TV stand that can properly accomodate the 340C below the screen. I looked long and hard and couldn't find anything except high dollar units such as Diamond Case or custom work.
    -Jim

Lightbulb

The problem with mounting any speaker within another enclosure creates a problem with the acoustics. If it is not designed to be used in that manner, it will not sound the way you want. You could try plugging the rear port, and slide it forwards as far as possible while using it. You'll also need to tilt it up to aim it at the listener's head. You need a temporary top mount to demonstrate to the wife the difference in the sound. If you're gonna spend the money on it, you need to set it up correctly. Over time, you get used to the view, and the speakers just blend into the scene. Not to mention, mounting it on top will help keep the kids out of your speaker. Once they realize the grill comes off, bad things can happen. (Mine ripped the dust caps off my old Infinity woofers, and pushed in the midrange driver dust caps.)

With a wall mounted plasma, you'd probably want a speaker wall mount for the center that keeps about a 3 inch clearance to the rear wall. The mount davef suggests is more for RPTVs, since it sticks out quite a ways.

Whoa! This is my 100th post!
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I reeeeeeeealy like this cabinet.
    http://www.studiotech.com/jsp/produc....jsp?prodID=63

Notice, however that the I.D. width is 20.9" (ugh)
    I wonder if I could skweeeeze it in?

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Don't know if it works but Sanus uses some kind of convection-like design for ventilation. They're quite pricey too.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Don't know if it works but Sanus uses some kind of convection-like design for ventilation. They're quite pricey too.
    Well here's a Sanus that seems to have a wide enough center shelf:
    https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_st...=1033503_17163

Trouble is... this one is a bit low for what I plan on getting.

Yeah... $1k is about what I expect to pay. Of course I'd like to pay less.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

okay...after trying to understand the 2 pages of above or below, in or out...extra resonating acoustics and reflective surfaces aside...i was always told that the tweeters of your mains and center should be as inline as possible and "up"...is that kind of a myth, or one of those "cause we decided it sounded better that way" kind of deals? or am i opening up a whole new can of worms?

Default tweeters in a line

The theory is that higher frequencies are more "localizable" (seem to come from a particular direction) than lower frequencies.

I don't know if this is the official theory, but I figure it like this: sound travels at ~1K feet/second, so a 80Hz wave is about 14 feet, while a 20KHz wave is about a half an inch. Subwoofers set up room resonances, while tweeters set up responances in your ear -- move your ears in relation to the speakers a little, and you'll hear the tweeters differently.

If you want to maintain the illusion that a sound that moves from left to center to right is coming from a source that is moving smoothly, then you don't want the center tweeter to be a lot lower or higher. The woofers don't matter as much as far as placement, and the subwoofer hardly at all.