Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: small subwoofers

This might seem like a stupid question, but...

Couldn't you just use a good quality RCA Y-adapter, to sum the stereo pre-outs from the receiver into a single rca line-input for the sub???

Newmember: Is it that simple? And I won't lose sound quality by doing so? Then, my options just expanded again. Can someone else provide input on this? Thanks.

Actually I thought about it a bit more after making that post, and my only concern is that doing so would short the output signal lines of the pre-outs. With a line-out signal I don't know if this is really an issue, as it is with high-outs.

I too would like to hear from a more experienced member about this...

Newbuyer: I'd like to hear more on this too. I'm just surprised I haven't been told of this possible 'simple method'. I'v'e seen a few user manuals for subs, but they didn't describe using a 'y' connector leading into a sub input. Anyhow, if I stay with the B-stock Rocket, as mentioned above, I think I'll be in good shape. But I'll check in from time to time to see if anyone else responds. Thanks.

Just figured it out. The Rocket ULW-10 manual (downloaded pdf file) shows that you can use a splitter for L/R low level outputs on the amp and connect with the single sub input. But then why do many subwoofers spend the time/money to install L/R low level inputs on the sub and also have a single sub input? Seems redundant unless it is more optimal to forego the splitter. Oh well, this thread seems like it died a few days ago anyhow.

dodgerblue,

I think the reason many subwoofer manufacturers put line-level L/R inputs as well as a single sub input, is because those subs usually also have line-level L/R outputs as well. The outputs will only deliver the remaining signal after the low-pass filter of the subwoofer's crossover has done its thing.

Just a thought...

Carver Knight Shadow sub is pretty small

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ubw&1120922882

Newbuyer: You obviously have more knowledge about audio matters than I do. Thanks for your input; I learned something new again.

Metalaaron: I will look into the Carver sub. Thanks. So far though, the Rockets seem tough to beat for quality (both sound and looks) and price.

Well, I did purchase a small sub about a month ago - the Rocket ULW-10 B-stock for 329.00. In summary, I think that for the price, build quality (furniture-grade), automatic equalization (SOS), and sound I couldn't go wrong. At first I wasn't impressed because I expected immediate and significant improvement. But then I realized that for most music, the Ascend 170s do a fine job. As I continued to audition the sub, I began to hear the lows I was missing. In some music it was a subtle change, in others stunning. Cannon shots on 1812 sounded like explosions rather than cymbal crashes. Kick drums were felt in the gut. Can I live without a sub? Yes. But know that I know what can be missing, I keep the sub on all the time. As for sound quality, I'm not qualified to judge, since I haven't heard other subs. The latest Audioholics review suggests that boom and resonance are noticeable, but that the SOS equalization cancelled them out substantially. All I know is that what I hear is clean and convincing and I love it.

Thanks to all who contributed input to my process.

Dodgerblue,

I'm curious, how big is your listening room?

Someone also recommended the UFW-10 to me a long time ago, my only hesitation was that I have a huge 6000 cubic foot listening space (vaulted ceiling LR that wraps around into breakfast, kitchen, hallway & stairwell) and was worried about how such a small sealed sub like that would function compared to one of the behemoth SVS or Hsu ported models.

Like you I am also more of a music listener than HT person.