Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subs... any inherent benefit to front vs. down - firing?

Quote Originally Posted by shane55
    Thanks. No kids one dog (not allowed in room), one wife (not preferentially listed) shane
    Shane,

Sooo I'm trying to figure out if it is the dog or the wife that is not allowed in the room?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    Shane,

Sooo I'm trying to figure out if it is the dog or the wife that is not allowed in the room?

Randy
    That is correct.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Ok... so here's how it worked out.

Front firing sub is now directly next to the entertainment cabinet, facing directly towards the sitting area (couch), and about 3.5' from the nearest corner. I couldn't do the technique of putting the sub on the couch and crawling around... that was just unfeasable. So after moving it numerous times (man that thing is heavy!), it's basically where it started.

My room is filled with dead spots. It's crazy, but there were some positions where the sub was barely audible from the couch, but just 2' forward it nearly knocked me back with sound.

The thing that really worked for me was the variable phase dial. 0 and 180 were bad. 90 was ok. 120 was just right. Whew! Glad I could dial it in.

It sounds pretty good now. At a later date, once some furniture gets out of the room, I'll probably have to do this again, and with a bit more perserverance.

Thanks to everyone for the input. It would appear that there is no absolute, clear difference between the two designs. It seems to be a matter of positioning and preference... all else being equal.

cheers

shane
    Last edited by shane55; 05-10-2005 at 11:05 PM.
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's