Thread: Any interesting/humorous experiences w/audiophiles wanna-bes? Pls share!

Default Any interesting/humorous experiences w/audiophiles wanna-bes? Pls share!

I just had to share an experience I had this weekend with a guy who was trying (unsuccessfully) to impress me with his audio "knowledge."

The setting: I was hanging around at a friend's garage sale where I was trying to sell a pair of cheapie KLH 3-way speakers (retailed for $40/pr at Best Buy). After not having much interest all morning, this twenty-something guy pulls up in a beater truck and instantly makes a beeline to my speakers. "Wow!!! Only $20???? You gotta be kidding me!!! These are awesome!!!"

He then goes and tells me how he's looking for some speakers and a receiver for his bedroom. "Well, this would be perfect for that!" I told him. "Yeah," he continues, "my main setup is already awesome - I have a 1500-watt receiver!" he boasted.

In my head I just laughed...a 1500w receiver?? Do those even exist?

As if his credibility could fall any further, he then continued, "yeah, it powers a bunch of Kla-patch speakers which are awesome!". Well, I had to give it to him there. At least he quoted some real (decent) speakers, even though he butchered the pronounciation.

To top it off, he bought a Jensen amp for the car for $10 that I had marked $5!! I wasn't about to argue that!

thats funny are you sure that was'nt neapoleon dynomate.

Hey! Keep track of that guy. We all have some audio junk to unload that no one else will buy. In fact I think I have an old 5000 watt amp that I could let go downright reasonable!

Randy
    Last edited by Lou-the-dog; 05-10-2005 at 04:28 AM.

oh i love dealing with the car audiophiles...the ones who don't know that rms and peak are 2 different numbers...that because my amp says zapco it must be a flea market brand cause you can't buy it at CC or BB but yet his lightning audio amp is the dogs bollocks cause the bolt lights up or somethin to that effect...oh yeah i'm only using my amp to push 1 single 10" sub (in a box that's been tuned to 35Hz ) not a pair of 12s...granted i realize i'm 28, and still into the SPL playing game, but i'm gradually moving into the SQ.

i still can't get over the people who pull up to you in trucks in the middle of the parking lot who try to sell you speakers that the garauntee are better than anything you already own