I just had to share an experience I had this weekend with a guy who was trying (unsuccessfully) to impress me with his audio "knowledge."

The setting: I was hanging around at a friend's garage sale where I was trying to sell a pair of cheapie KLH 3-way speakers (retailed for $40/pr at Best Buy). After not having much interest all morning, this twenty-something guy pulls up in a beater truck and instantly makes a beeline to my speakers. "Wow!!! Only $20???? You gotta be kidding me!!! These are awesome!!!"

He then goes and tells me how he's looking for some speakers and a receiver for his bedroom. "Well, this would be perfect for that!" I told him. "Yeah," he continues, "my main setup is already awesome - I have a 1500-watt receiver!" he boasted.

In my head I just laughed...a 1500w receiver?? Do those even exist?

As if his credibility could fall any further, he then continued, "yeah, it powers a bunch of Kla-patch speakers which are awesome!". Well, I had to give it to him there. At least he quoted some real (decent) speakers, even though he butchered the pronounciation.

To top it off, he bought a Jensen amp for the car for $10 that I had marked $5!! I wasn't about to argue that!