Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My new 340's

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3
    I bought a QSC RMX 1450 yesterday. I took it home and the fan is LOOOUUUUDDDDD.

Well, I hope nothing ever goes wrong with this amp and I need warranty work because I sure as heck voided it last night. I cut the fan wires because I am tired of screwing with this. I have been trying to buy an amp for two months now.

I have super-quiet fans that I set to blow directly through the fan tunnel of the amp and I am getting good air flow so I'm not worried about overheating since my 340's are 8 Ohm speakers.
    Another option might be to open the box and install something like this http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_64.asp
    if it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by pappekak
    Another option might be to open the box and install something like this http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_64.asp
    if it fits.
    The fan in the amp is a 24 volt DC fan and computer fans are all 12 volt. The solution I have in place should be fine. It also has variable speed so if I am not getting enough cooling I can turn it up a little. These fans on their highest setting are much quieter than the fan in the amp. I bought them from a guy on Ebay that builds fan kits that plug into a normal AC outlet. I have it plugged into the back of my reciever so the fans kick on when the receiver comes on.
    Last edited by dae3dae3; 01-20-2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I bought a QSC RMX 1450 yesterday. I took it home and the fan is LOOOUUUUDDDDD.

Well, I hope nothing ever goes wrong with this amp and I need warranty work because I sure as heck voided it last night. I cut the fan wires because I am tired of screwing with this. I have been trying to buy an amp for two months now.

I have super-quiet fans that I set to blow directly through the fan tunnel of the amp and I am getting good air flow so I'm not worried about overheating since my 340's are 8 Ohm speakers.
    Sorry to hear the RMX amp fan is so loud! How do you like the sound of the amp?

Make sure (I'm sure you did make sure, just checking) that you set the new fan to blow through the amp from rear to front per the QSC design.

I am getting very good sound with the amp. My wife even said that she heard the difference.

I played music for an hour yesterday at volume levels higher than what I normally would play and the top of the amp was just barely warmer than what I would expect when putting my hand on a piece of cold metal so I am not worried about whether I have enough air going through the unit. If I ever get worried I have four more higher settings for the fan.
    Darren

Darren, what differences did you notice with the amp?

Things like drums sound punchier and also it seems that the highs are smoother. Actually, just about everything sounds smoother. It is not a dramatic difference but it is noticable. The biggest difference comes at higher volumes. With just the receiver the speakers start to sound edgy at about -10 to -5 on the volume and sound harsh by 0. With the amp they sound good right up until almost at 0 on the volume. I am hoping that the SE's will fill out that last bit with their higher power handling.

On another note. I got the Diana Krall DVD-Audio disk "Love Stories" yesterday and I was absolutely stunned by the sound coming out of my 340's. It sounded like Diana was in the room with me.

The last couple of additions I have made to the system have really moved it to a different level. The amp and an addition of a Velodyne SMS-1 have really kicked it up a notch. It sounds so good I am reluctant to upgrade to the SE's because I am wondering if I wouldn't get a bigger performance gain by upgrading the sub. I don't know how big the improvement would be with the SE's but I know for a fact that I am under-subbed for the cubic feet of my listening area when getting below 30 Hz. I think I am getting very close to where I am reaching the point of diminishing returns on upgrades. I think I would have to spend a ton of money to get a dramatic difference at this point.
    Darren

Darren:

I'm am a month away from buying a reciever. My choice was the pioneer 1015. are you happy with it? was there not enough power that you had to buy the amps.

thanks

aran.

It was more of a want than a need. I have a very large space to fill. If the 1015 isn't enough power for your room then none of the receivers anywhere near the same price will be enough either. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The only thing I don't like about the 1015 is the crossover choices jump from 80 Hz all the way down to 50 Hz. I wish there was something in-between.
    Darren

The only thing I don't like about the 1015 is the crossover choices jump from 80 Hz all the way down to 50 Hz. I wish there was something in-between.
    50 might just work with the 340 SE's. Definitely not with the originals.

David