Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Choosing my 6.1 System!!

Default Need Help Choosing my 6.1 System!!

These are the packages that I am thinking of. Please let me know if anyone has heard both of these systems and which one you would go with.

CBM-170s Front/Left
    CMT-340 Center
    HTM-200s Back surround and Center
    HTF-2 Sub
    -Total: $1298

CBM-170s ALL AROUND
    HTF-2 Sub
    -Total $1278

As you can see, these two packages are very similar in price. I'm not sure which would be better though. Going with the CMT-340 Center for a strong front with a weaker back, or go with the CBM-170s for all around uniformity and quality.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Battlefrog

Personally, I think I would lean towards the first system.

It should be better for HT since the center channel is so important and the two systems should be a push for music since you have the same fronts / sub either way.

Quote Originally Posted by LampCord
    Personally, I think I would lean towards the first system.

It should be better for HT since the center channel is so important and the two systems should be a push for music since you have the same fronts / sub either way.
    I'm with Lamp on this one.

David

Quote Originally Posted by battlefrog
    Going with the CMT-340 Center for a strong front with a weaker back, or go with the CBM-170s for all around uniformity and quality.Battlefrog

I think you have pretty much outlined the differences already. I also was considering both of these configurations. Because of room/placement considerations for the surrounds, I decided on system #1. We also use the surround system for movies more often than music (about 70/30), so having perfect uniformity for the surround speakers was not quite as important as someone who may spend most of their time listening to music in a surround setting. Nicholas Mosher did a great review of the system you have outlined as #2 (sans sub).

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with either choice.

Rich
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

i agree with these guys. you can always upgrade later on. so if you want a pair of 340 for the fronts you can move the 170 to the rear and the one pair of 200s could be music speakers in another setup

Unless you are going to indulge heavily into multi-channel music I would have to concur...system 1. 90% or more of the sound presented will be thru your front end so spend your dollars there. I have not heard the 200's but understand they are a very able speaker and PLENTY for surround duty.

Randy

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I WILL go with package #1. We just sold our house and my wife said she'd get me the system for fathers day :-) I'm not quiet happy as a clam...but I'm getting close :-)

I'm sure that you will be happy (probably to the point of clam-ness) with your decision. Remember, you have to try to rip yourself away from listening to your system once in a while to provide reviews and updates for us.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Agree w/ 1 too. When I spoke w/ David F regarding a mixed HT/music setup, he recommended the 340C over the 170 as a center almost w/o hesitation. Plus, the 200s are plenty good as surrounds (some even say too good). Don't wait til Fathers Day...get them NOW!

Hey all! Thanks for the advice! I went with option 1. I just ordered night before last. I can't wait until they come in. Now, for the next step. This is my first HT system. I'm looking for a good guide on how to set the system up. My family room is a medium sized rectangular room. Also, can someone please suggest the right set of speaker cables for my new system? I can't believe that just "any old cables" will do the trick. One last thing. I've heard that I should buy some type of 1" thick rubber matting to put under the sub so that it creates the best sound. Any input on that? Thanks again everyone, and David, ship those speakers!!!!

Battlefrog

Fredericksburg, VA

P.S. I'll provide some reviews after I get the system set up and I can be pulled away from them.