Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dts CDs

Could someone maybe post a FAQ clarifying the differences btw DVD-Audio vs. SACD vs DTS/DD5.1 CDs? I realize you need a DVD-Audio or SACD player to play those discs, but the ones coming out saying DTS/DD5.1 (DVD compatible) - does that mean I could play them in any DVD player? Is it essentially a DVD w/only an audio track? And maybe list the pros/cons of each type of media?

Ben,
    My experience with DTS 5.1 vs SACD/DVD-A is that the hi-rez stuff does sound better with more clarity and cleaner. The DTS stuff does sound great, but if I had a choice betweent he two I would choose a hi-rez format. I actually have the Police Greatest hits on SACD....it is great.

Cliff,
    Here is a good read on the hi-rez formats:
    http://www.hometheatermag.com/hirezaudio/

-curtis

I have the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over DVD concert recorded in DTS. It is wonderful.

Yes, HFO is one of my favorites also. It's a must-have for it's dts soundtrack. (In fact I always use the dts track when I have the choice, but thats another can of worms!). Anyway I should have been more clear with my original question, I was really asking about the dts cds (audio-no video) vs. DVD-A. BTW, "In the City" is my favorite cut off of HFO.

I wish SACD/DVD-A would just die. Though i havent heard true SACD/DVD-A yet, if you ask me DTS sounds wonderful and it uses a digital connection (unlike DVD-A/SACD). Does anyone know how just regular DTS 5.1, or Neo 6 compares to SACD/DVD-A? If the latter is significantly better than DTS, i'll go a SACD/DVD-A player right now cause DTS rocks.

From my experience SACD/DVD-A is better, but not significantly so.

Hi All!

This is my first post but I have been "lurking" for many month now. As Curtis has said, SACD/DVD is cleaner and detailed. I myself have DVD Audio capability and prefer the Analog DVD-A over Digital DTS or Dolby Digital at every chance. It is really that much better. I also have Acend CMT-340 L/C/R and CBM-170 as back surrounds with a HSU VFT-3 subwoofer (much like Curtis' speaker setup). I just wanted to chime in and add my 2 cents worth. I have learned a great deal from Acsend Forum Members and am happy to be a part of the Family.

Greetings from Central Florida!

Welcome Bill!

What are some of your favorite DVD-As? (hopefully rock!) What player do you run? I'm a little ways north of you (central AL) nice to see someone else on the forum from the southeast.

Hi Bill,

Welcome! I noticed that you are from central fla. I am currently building a house in central florida and can't wait to move there from new england. Maybe we will be neighbors... []

I don't want to hijack this thread, so how does one play a dts cd? I'm guessing you use a dvd player. Does it play in all dvd players?

Derek

First....Welcome Bill! I'm with you, I do prefer the SACD/DVD-A stuff over the DTS or DD5.1 music discs.

Derek, you can play DTS DVD's just like a DVD that has a movie with a DTS soundtrack. If your DVD player can decode DTS(most do now) or receiver, you are good to go.

-curtis