Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: quick visit to Ascend

Default quick visit to Ascend

Hi All,

Myself and another forum member are making a quick visit to Ascend tomorrow (Thursday, March 1st). We plan on being there around 11am.

We are hoping to hear the Horizon and Towers with RAALs.

The shop is also now setup for full 5.1 sound...so that should be nice too. So bring some good Blu-ray stuff if you can.

Hope some of you can make it.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    -curtis

Default Re: quick visit to Ascend

Hmm. Tempting. I wonder if I can get away from work for a little while. I would love to hear the new center.

Curtis et. al., enjoy yourselves.

Rest assured that I will be there in spirit. Last night, though, I really wanted to book a plane ticket...

That said, with great power comes great responsibility. You now have a privilege, nay, a duty to provide a thorough and detailed play-by-play of the GTG. Depending on Ascend's policy for flash photography during demonstrations, some pics would be even better.

Now I am going to try and convince myself that this visit would have been a complete waste of my time, and that the Towers/Horizon will sound like absolute trash...

...because it's the only way I can get through this day without exploding from envy towards those who will be visiting Ascend.

Seriously, enjoy yourselves.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    Hmm. Tempting. I wonder if I can get away from work for a little while. I would love to hear the new center.
    I guess it was not to be. I hope you guys had a great time. Maybe I'll get to do this sometime.

David...we had a good time listening to Towers with the RAAL, the STC, and STC's in stereo.

Mitch and I had to leave before the room was setup with Towers w/ RAALs and an STC w/RAAL. The surrounds were CBM-170SEs. A few others were there from the AVS forum that were able to stay and listen to that setup.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    David...we had a good time listening to Towers with the RAAL, the STC, and STC's in stereo.

Mitch and I had to leave before the room was setup with Towers w/ RAALs and an STC w/RAAL. The surrounds were CBM-170SEs. A few others were there from the AVS forum that were able to stay and listen to that setup.
    Wow... Now I'm even more disappointed, although I couldn't have stayed too long anyway. What were your impressions?

Pictures from today's visit:

Dave got a new TV!

Sierra Tower with RAAL tweeter in matte black

Sierra Tower Center "Horizon" in expresso

RAAL 70-20XR tweeter (faceplate and body modified for Ascend for mounting purposes)

backside of the RAAL

the actual ribbon in the RAAL...it's VERY light.

backside of the NRT tweeter

the RAAL and NrT side by side. The RAAL weighs about 4 lbs. The NrT probably weighs 1/4 pound...if that.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    Wow... Now I'm even more disappointed, although I couldn't have stayed too long anyway. What were your impressions?
    Very simply, the RAAL takes the detail of the speaker to another level...and is smoother than the NrT. I think I am hooked on the RAALs.

The NrT version is a bit brighter. Listened to it in stereo in STC's. Still sound great, but not like the RAAL. I could certainly live with it, and love it...but after hearing the RAAL, I would willing to leave it if I had the extra cash.

The STC "Horizon", as Dave has mentioned, is very dynamic. With some dynamic music, in stereo, there was some "chest thumping" felt. I think this setup would be excellent for HT use, music was great as well. I was only able to hear the NrT version before we left. There were three others that were able to stay and hear a 5.1 setup with Towers w/RAALs, STC with RAAL, with CBM-170SE's as surrounds. They are not Ascend owners, so they don't frequent this forum much.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-01-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Pictures from today's visit:

*lots of explicit and revealing photos went here*
    Wow, I bet today's demonstration sounded fantastic. I also see that Dave installed some upgrades! I noticed:

- new Samsung TV (what is that, like a 48"?)
    - new sleek-looking AV rack
    - rearranged components on the AV rack

That STC/Horizon looks amazing. Not 100% sure on the finish either. The first photo makes it look like cherry, but in the third photo it looks more like espresso.

Love the close-ups of the NrT and autographed RAAL tweeter.

THANK YOU FOR THE PICS!
    -Jacob

Oh, have you any idea what the little yellow box is in photo #1 and #3?

To me, it looks like the ONE.2 from Virtue Audio, although I could be wrong.
    -Jacob