Page 74 of 271 FirstFirst ... 6970717273747576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

i bet those speakers are really good..
    "Think and Act wisely" nyc oak

Default Re: Latest Update

Ok Guys...

Just got back from spending a few hours at our cabinet builder's facility... The STC is complete and other than a very minor grille change, the design is 100% completed. Cabinet and crossover - ie., the major design elements since the STC uses the same drivers as the STM (sierra tower mains,) are done

The speaker looks, sounds and measures fantastic and it easily exceeds my expectations, which for those of you who know me - is quite rare

We have had a few difficulties with our bamboo supplier (they don't have enough of the specific bamboo we use) so this has thrown us back a few weeks -- but, we believe we found another source and if all goes well tomorrow, production on the cabinets (both the STC and the next production run of Towers) begins on Friday

Final dimensions are:

11" high x 23" wide x 12.5" deep (13" deep with grille)

Now that the STC is complete, I can finally setup the lab to complete the full suite of measurements for the Tower and ribbon version of the Tower. Expect these to be published within 48 hours...

Attached are some grainy iPhone pics of the completed and approved final sample of the STC.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

@davef

Absolutely stunning center speaker!

I would dearly love to have a full 5.1 Sierra set up but that STC is massive 11"h would cause me some angst. At the moment, I am enjoying my 1s and being given SO approval to trade up to the ST at my leisure we'll see what unfolds down the road.

Looking good... can wait for the test results.

Regards, Bill....
    Last edited by billy p; 11-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Oh yeah! Can't wait till I get my STC! Movies are going to be great this holiday season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I would dearly love to have a full 5.1 Sierra set up but that STC is massive 11"h would cause me some angst.
    If I remember right from a few hundred pages back (lol), the reason Dave had reservations about it being shorter than the prior prototype, were due to noticeable changes in acoustics. He did opt for a more visually pleasing and less imposing front very similar to a 340 se, primarily by increasing depth and reducing width, which looks to have still kept drivers in the same places. Went to measure mine a few minutes ago, its about 3.5" taller, 2" deeper, and 2" wider. That is very impressive for a tower as such, considering. Don't know what else changed internally, but overall it looks to be for mainly keeping the cabinet volume/driver features similar to if not identical. A win-win all around in comparison to before, imo.

I realized I'm defending the tower, lol. Oh well, I'm sure it's great
    Last edited by choirbass; 11-02-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Ok Guys...

Just got back from spending a few hours at our cabinet builder's facility... The STC is complete and other than a very minor grille change, the design is 100% completed. Cabinet and crossover - ie., the major design elements since the STC uses the same drivers as the STM (sierra tower mains,) are done

The speaker looks, sounds and measures fantastic and it easily exceeds my expectations, which for those of you who know me - is quite rare

We have had a few difficulties with our bamboo supplier (they don't have enough of the specific bamboo we use) so this has thrown us back a few weeks -- but, we believe we found another source and if all goes well tomorrow, production on the cabinets (both the STC and the next production run of Towers) begins on Friday

Final dimensions are:

Now that the STC is complete, I can finally setup the lab to complete the full suite of measurements for the Tower and ribbon version of the Tower. Expect these to be published within 48 hours...

Attached are some grainy iPhone pics of the completed and approved final sample of the STC.

Enjoy!
    Dave,

The final build looks fantastic. Honestly, it looks like a beast - I look forward to hearing it sound like one too
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 11-02-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    Jon O.

Final dimensions are:

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the pics of the STC, Dave. It looks great, and with those dimensions, it should fit fine in my home theater.

Enjoy!
    that's one hell of a speaker! it just gave my 340 a napoleon complex

Default Re: STC (Sierra Tower Center)

Quote Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post
    Ok Dave's got me salivating to replace my current 340 set up once the STC is released. I currently have the 340's powered by an Onkyo 707. If I got the new Towers up front, would it be better to keep the 707 and get an amp like the Emo XPA-3? Or just upgrade the 707 to an 809 and skip the Emo?

I do about 90/10 movies/music. Thanks!
    Bump.