Page 69 of 271 FirstFirst ... 6465666768697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Wow. 68 pages. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read all of that to decipher the current status of things. I just want to order some towers.

Just moved my 340SE 5.1 system upstairs and want to create a new 5.1 system downstairs.

I want (2) of the new towers for the front and (1) center of some kind (probably a Sierra?). Then I'll be able to use my existing Sierras as surround speakers in the new 5.1 system.

SO.... What's available? What options? What finishes? What are the prices? And how do I order?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainwrek View Post
    Wow. 68 pages. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read all of that to decipher the current status of things. I just want to order some towers.

Just moved my 340SE 5.1 system upstairs and want to create a new 5.1 system downstairs.

I want (2) of the new towers for the front and (1) center of some kind (probably a Sierra?). Then I'll be able to use my existing Sierras as surround speakers in the new 5.1 system.

SO.... What's available? What options? What finishes? What are the prices? And how do I order?
    Just call ascend.

yes, ascend acoustics' phone support is great. let us know what you end up with! sounds like a killer system- what are you powering this all with?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainwrek View Post

Please give us a call or send an email to sales. We are happy to assist you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Sierra Tower Center (STC)

Hi Guys,

I am very pleased to deliver some more news regarding the STC... The crossover and design are complete and performance is simply amazing. In my experience, once or twice in a career we come across a combination of components and cabinet design that simply nails it... The STC is the epitome of this description, easily surpassing what I thought would be capable for a center channel.

The first measurement you see is an on-axis anechoic frequency response measurement at 1 meter. There is a very small dip in the response at 1 kHz which is a reflection off of the automated turntable. I chose to include this minor first reflection in the response in order to achieve a higher resolution measurement.

Note the incredible linearity of the response in the critical midrange!

The next measurement is what really impressed me. This is the in-room off-axis horizontal response (reflections, floor bounce and all). I offset each measurement on the display so that you can see how the midrange response maintains itself the further we get off-axis. The measurements are 0 degs, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45 degrees off-axis. Guys, this is an incredible off-axis response. In fact, at even 45 degrees off-axis the STC is +/- 3dB from its on-axis response up to 10 kHz! What this means is that this speaker has a horizontal listening window of +/- 45 degrees. At 6 feet from the speaker, the listening window is 12 feet wide. At 10 feet back, the listening window is 21 feet wide. This speaker is going to sound coherent and detailed no matter where you are in your room.

And the final measurement is just for fun. It is comparing the on-axis response to the 60 degree off-axis horizontal response at 1 meter. Note that frequency response, especially the critical midrange, still remains linear all the way up to -3dB at 7 kHz. I have included a picture of the speaker position in relation to the microphone -- just to show how absurd the off-axis angle is but how well the speaker still measures

From here forward it is just a matter of laying out the crossover, finalizing pricing and cabinet production. I hope to confirm pricing within 1 week…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Sierra Tower Center (STC)

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am very pleased to deliver some more news regarding the STC... The crossover and design are complete and performance is simply amazing. In my experience, once or twice in a career we come across a combination of components and cabinet design that simply nails it... The STC is the epitome of this description, easily surpassing what I thought would be capable for a center channel.
    Exciting, Dave! As you know, I'm 'all in'.

very impressive!
    -curtis

I don't understand measurements as well as most guys here but comparing the mesurement of STC to ST (first page of this thread) it seems like ST begin to roll off at around 15k vs STC goes beyond 20k. Is that by nature of horizontal center channels or ST mesurements on first page of this thread were taken in different environment? Again I don't understand measurements too well but just trying to learn.

Thanks.
    Last edited by avsnoob10; 10-18-2011 at 06:24 PM.

I believe the stm (st and stc is confusing me so i'm throwing in an m for mains) measurements were preliminary and these stc measurements are much more concrete
    dave it's funny i almost asked for measurements yesterday but decided to be quiet and patient. looks like a fantastic speaker!

edit: I should also say I don't think these measurements encapsulate 150hz and on down, which is sometimes taken separately with a different microphone-- which might be what the green highlighted marking is on the first graph
    Last edited by scape; 10-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am very pleased to deliver some more news regarding the STC...
    Dave, Based on these measurements, what would you suggest for the x-over with a sub (Seaton SubMersive)? (I will be using Sierra-1 NRT's for the L/R speakers, and currently have them x-overed at 60 Hz.)