Page 36 of 271 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

The ribbon will have a very defined sweet spot if it is anything like the Martin Logans I listened to a few years ago. If you are in the sweet spot it was magic. When I stood up the highs disappeared. I guess that's great if you don't want ceiling/floor reflections. It was odd to me.

Anyway, I can't wait for the first owner reports!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hi Guys,

As expected, many questions and emails regarding the ribbon tweeter option. I will try to get to all of them so please be patient with me

I should mention this tweeter is being made for us by RAAL and is based on their OEM only 70-20XR model with an Amorphous core transformer. It is, in my opinion, a considerable step up from the Raal 70-10D, having twice the ribbon area. It is an extremely robust and dynamic ribbon tweeter.

As of today, the cost for the ribbon option is an additional $350 per each speaker ($700/pair). I should stress that costs are rising dramatically and if the dollar continues to fall against the Euro, the cost for this option will continue to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    out of curiosity, wouldn't the xo have to be tweaked coming from the other tweeter?
    edit: i mean to say, it'd be a replacement tweeter, but with different characterstics, so wouldnt that have to be taken into account on the xo?
    Yes, the crossover must be modified to accommodate the ribbon tweeter

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I have to imagine the XO will differ from Ribbon to Dome versions. Ribbons usually require a higher XO point, they are not as robust as a dome tweeter. again, I could be wrong though.
    One of the reasons we made a few changes to the crossover prior to production (besides improving performance) was to create a topology that will easily accommodate the necessary changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    You are right. However, the dedicated mid driver allows higher xo point for the tower. But Dave had to change the xo for this option. I'm sure Dave will chime in on this.
    Typical ribbon tweeters are a bit difficult to properly integrate with a mid but I must say that I was quite surprised at the ease of which this RT integrated with our dedicated mid.

The Tower ribbon option will be available as a factory upgrade for new and existing tower owners and also as a customer upgrade. However, I must stess that the existing internal cutout for the tweeter will need to be re-shaped. We will provide a template for this but it will require the use of power tools. The external cutout will not be affected as we are having our own custom faceplates tooled thus saving the cabinet finish

The ribbon tweeter option is available to anyone who has already placed a pre-order with us. It will delay shipping but I should know in about 1 week at how long the delay will be.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

i was reading up on raal, if anyone is interested: http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/r...rbia/raal.html
    the bronze omni looks nuts lol

As promised, here is a pic of the STC (Sierra Tower Center) next to a CMT-340C cabinet. This is the "official" first protoype cabinet. We still have to come up with a grille design while somehow trying to avoid increasing the cabinet height...

No doubt this is a large "boxy" center speaker but it is a perfect performance match with the Sierra Tower. Incredible dynamics and vocal clarity!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    As promised, here is a pic of the STC (Sierra Tower Center) next to a CMT-340C cabinet. This is the "official" first protoype cabinet. We still have to come up with a grille design while somehow trying to avoid increasing the cabinet height...

No doubt this is a large "boxy" center speaker but it is a perfect performance match with the Sierra Tower. Incredible dynamics and vocal clarity!
    Boy, I would dearly love to replace my Sierra-Center with one of these, but I'm having a VERY hard time seeing how I could fit it in.

Now that's a center!!! (snif...) I think I need a hug...

Brian in Bakersfield....

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

Charge my card now please!

I can definitely see the tough design challenge with the grill.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    Boy, I would dearly love to replace my Sierra-Center with one of these, but I'm having a VERY hard time seeing how I could fit it in.
    Believe me, I know... I am not able to fit it into the theater in my own home

I am considering offering an optional "custom" version which would be a WMTW orientation with a vertical height of only 7.5".

WMTW

instead of

--T--
    WMW

However, the length of the speaker would be increased and horizontal dispersion would not be quite as wide or symmetrical. This version would be more expensive because we would build less cabinets.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I think it looks awesome (and it fits in my theater)!

Quote Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post
    Dave,

Any chance of getting an early sample of that center? I would love to be first on list - ready or not..Ah just send me the box unfinished with the xo and drivers. But really will there be the option for first run units to get put in the hands of a few with the understanding further refinment will be forthcoming?
    Once we finalize everything, this might be possible... I don't expect further refinement though once the center is finalized. Performance is designed to perfectly match the towers
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com