PDA

View Full Version : Putting 340M's and 340C In Wall

bri1270
05-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm currently doing some remodeling, and I was thinking, what if I put my 340 in the wall so that the fronts are flush with the face of the wall...

I know, you're all thinking no friggin way...but the catch is that the back end would be open at the port, in a pseudo infinite baffel configuration; they would have plenty of venting space.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm seriously considering it...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Quinn
05-05-2005, 07:27 AM
That is a good question for Dave.

Jonnyozero3
05-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Maybe you'd need three CMT-340C's to deal with the effect of having the wall flush with the front edge of the speaker. I wonder if you could get Dave to whip a couple of custom "CMT-340C L/R Mains" that have the tweeters rotated 90 degrees for your installation.

If that isn't possible, if you have the room I'd say go with a trio of standard 340 centers. Could be interesting....hmmm.....

bri1270
05-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Actually I talked with Dave today, and he said it would be a problem as long as there was enough room for the port, and since I plan on having the back end open, it should be fine.

bri1270
06-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, I did it. I built 3 boxes - 9"W x 23"H x 24"D and mounted them to the back of the wall. I put the tv in the wall also. The 340C is above the TV angled down towards the listening position and I mounted the 340M's about 25" off the ground (used the 340 stands as a reference for height). I have to say, they don't sound any different then they did before I put them in there. They still sound great. I cross over at 80Hz, so nothing special there. Just thought I'd post a little update.

I'll take some pics once the wall is repaired.

BradJudy
06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Glad it worked. I'm surprised it didn't sound at least somewhat different since A) the sound coming from the port is in a different room now B) a significantly different speaker position and C) a significantly different speaker baffle (the wall). But if it sounds good, who cares? :)

metalaaron
06-02-2005, 09:01 PM
very cool. i'd like to see that install.

bri1270
06-03-2005, 02:48 AM
I didn't end up going with the original "infinite baffle" design, I went with a sealed box, and since I'm crossing over at 80, there's not much coming from the ports anyway. I thought if anything, it would sound a little thumpy or would chuff a bit, but nothing of the sort, and I cranked 'em up. And I did read somewhere that if the tuning frequency (of the woofer) is above the crossover point, then I could actually plug the ports. I don't know what the freq. is of the Ascend woofer, and I didn't plug the ports.

I will definitely get some pics up when I'm done with the project. I still have to put my rack in the wall, and I have to install my IB sub. So far so good though.