PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendation for a reciever to power a new ascend setup?

Zyzzyva100
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM
So I am looking to make the leap into the world of home theater/surround sound music, and after endlessly searching the internet have decided on Ascend. I plan to get 2 pairs of 170's and either a 170 or C340 for a center. I am just trying to figure out what to power them with.

I am on a bit of a budget, as I am a college student, and thereby automatically poor. (As a classically trained cellist, however, my ears won't allow me to go too cheap on speakers). I just found out I got a research fellowship this summer in addition to my normal pay, so I plan to use this for the my home theater setup. I have been looking at the pioneer vsx 1014 and 1015 as well as the panasonic xr-70. These are a bit on the high side, so I am looking for other options in this range, or preferably lower that will do the speakers justice.

My only real worry is that I want to get the max power out of these speakers (without distortion of course). The room these will be going in is 16 x 20, with an adjoining kitchen that is about 8 feet deep (same width, they are just seperated by a bar). My real problem I see is that this is a loft with 14 foot ceilings (they are wooden, all 2x6's), and two walls are painted brick (the walls on either side of the corner where the tv sits).

Anyway, after that aside, anyone have some more reciever reccomendations?

Quinn
05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Keep an eye for used on audiogon.com and watch HTF hardware section (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10). I just looked at HTF's classifieds and saw a Marantz 4300 and a Denon 1803 listed in the past day both asking $150 either should be a good deal if still availible.

Have you considered using your budget for good 2-channel now and doing the HT later?

Zyzzyva100
05-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Yea, I had thought about just starting with 2.1, and I suppose I still could, but I am dying for some surround sound, primarily to be able to play the dvd-audio mixes from nine inch nails. Granted I have wanted to do this for awhile, but that put me over the top. I already plan to buy in chunks, now I'm just trying to decide what to get and when.

bikeman
05-04-2005, 05:43 AM
I have been looking at the pioneer vsx 1014 and 1015 as well as the panasonic xr-70. These are a bit on the high side, so I am looking for other options in this range, or preferably lower that will do the speakers justice.
My only real worry is that I want to get the max power out of these speakers (without distortion of course). The room these will be going in is 16 x 20, with an adjoining kitchen that is about 8 feet deep (same width, they are just seperated by a bar). My real problem I see is that this is a loft with 14 foot ceilings (they are wooden, all 2x6's), and two walls are painted brick (the walls on either side of the corner where the tv sits).
Anyway, after that aside, anyone have some more reciever reccomendations?

Panasonic is coming out with the XR-55 for $249.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4032232

The only drawback I see to the Panasonic's is the reported built in sub crossover @ 100hz. That's not a big deal for a lotta people and with the 170, it might be acceptable. I have 340's and want the crossover down to at least 80hz.
I also think this is an excellent option in this category.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4026167

Unlike the Panasonic, this is has a digital hybrid amp. For two channel listening this has gotten excellent reviews. It's brand new and I haven't seen where the crossover is.

For a conventional analog receiver like the Pioneer, I'd look at the Onkyo's at JandR or the refurb's at Ecost.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/search/search.asp?id=91778000&search=Surround%20Sound%20Home%20Audio%20Receivers

Let us know how it turns out.

David

Zyzzyva100
05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
I have found a Denon 2803 for $300 shipped, and this certainly seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have any experience with this amp, I know most people will reccomend Denon regardless, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something huge here.

s2pdname
05-05-2005, 06:59 AM
I have had the Denon 3803 for about a year and really enjoy it. It did take some time, tweaking, and manual reading to understand most of the functions. After today (scheduled delivery of 170's & 340C) I would be happy to tell you how it integrates with the Ascends.

Zyzzyva100
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
I have had the Denon 3803 for about a year and really enjoy it. It did take some time, tweaking, and manual reading to understand most of the functions. After today (scheduled delivery of 170's & 340C) I would be happy to tell you how it integrates with the Ascends.

Thanks. I would love to know how it works with the 170's and 340, as I probably plan to go that route.

Just looking at it, it looks somewhat complicated, but I'm sure I can figure it out. If not, my degree in engineering is somewhat wasted.