PDA

View Full Version : Is this an upgrade

LampCord
05-03-2005, 02:19 PM
I know this seems like a silly question on this forum but I'm looking to upgrade my current setup and I'd like to know how people here think Ascends will compare with what I currently have.

Current setup (driven by Yamaha RX-V 757 receiver):

Speakers (all 10 years old)
Fronts: JBL TLX-181 floorstanding speakers. (About $600 pair if you can find them)
Center: JBL Center speaker
Surround: JBL Control Series.
Sub: Some massive black box, can't remember who made it, pretty good though.

I'm thinking about trying out Ascend 340's accross the front (LCR). I'll probably eventually replace the Surrounds as well, not sure about the sub.

My hesitation is about going from floorstanding to bookshelf speakers. It seems like a step down psychologically. But I'm not very impressed with my JBL fronts. The mids are muddled and there is noticable buzzing and distortion in the mids when volume is above moderate.

So the point of all this blather is:
1) Can these bookshelf speakers really put out better sound than my admitedly mediocre JBL floorstanding models?
2) Since these speakers are in the same price range, would this be a lateral move or an upgrade?
3) Does my receiver seem like a good match for these speakers? Its about 100 watts per channel. It has a pre-out for the sub which is self powered of course.
4) How stable are the stands? I need to set the fronts up on stands, they look very stable, would they be safe with a 3 and 5 year old boy running around the house? I'm a little concerned they would be top heavy and fall over easily.
5) How would these compare with comperably priced Axioms?

FYI, I use my system about 80/20 HT vs Music. I watch mostly drama and sports and my current speakers have issues with muddled dialogue. I listen to rock and light classical for music. I'm not a big boomy bass guy, more interested in clarity and soundstage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lee Bailey
05-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I've never listened to the JBLs you have, so I cannot comment on their sound verses the 340's. I would recommend that if you get the 340s, then get their matching stands as well. They'll still look like towers, but probably taller than your current speakers.

I replaced my 5 year old Polk speakers with the 340s and 170s in the rear. I have no regrets.

Quinn
05-03-2005, 03:08 PM
What you find lacking on your present speakers are strong points for Ascend. I'll second the 340s for your use. That $600 for the JBL's included a distributor and a retailer getting a cut. You can fill the 340 stands with 50lbs of sand each and they won't be going anywhere. As for the Axioms the M22 go fishy on the highest of highs(violins) and the M60 lacks the clarity and separation of the 340s but does have more low end.

jimsiff
05-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I have three kids, 1, 5, and 7. My 340 stands are filled with about 60 lb of sand. They aren't going anywhere unless I move them. With no sand, I found the 340 stands to "float" on the carpet and were a bit tippy. Since adding the sand, the spikes dig in and provide a sturdy base.

Lou-the-dog
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
LampCord,

I've got the 340's, 170's and also a competing internet companies' $1500 bookshelf speaker here in my home. All three of these speakers have qualities I like but I believe that the one I'd take home at the end of the day (figuratively speaking "cause they are already at my home) would be the 340's. Go-figure...the 340's aprox 1/3 the price. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let the price fool you...DaveF puts out a hell of a product and definitely are worthy of a listen next to your JBL's.

Randy

LampCord
05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I'm leaning pretty hard towards ordering these and seeing how they sound.

I can set them up right next to my JBL's and put them on B speaker for a direct comparison.

ClutchBrake
05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I can set them up right next to my JBL's and put them on B speaker for a direct comparison.

Careful doing that. Not all receivers handle A and B the same.

Also remember that placing the speakers right next to each other can affect the sound.

bikeman
05-04-2005, 10:38 AM

Also remember that placing the speakers right next to each other can affect the sound.

I second Clutch's concerns. One speaker will almost always have an unfair advantage in these situations. The ideal location for one speaker could be quite different than the other or even quite different from the norm. Thanks to Lee B., I found a better location for my 340's. It never would have occured to me to separate my 340's that much but it worked.
Now Lee's posting more "stuff." This man causes me almost as much work as my wife. :D At least I enjoy doing Lee's stuff.
I also find the "B" speaker outlets on all my receivers (4) to be inferior to the "A" speaker outlets. My receiver's are mid-fi. Kenwood, Onkyo, JVC and Yamaha.

David

LampCord
05-04-2005, 10:57 AM

OK, that makes it a lot tougher.

Anyone have good suggestions for comparing speakers other than the obvious, 'put in music you like and see what sounds better'?

I'm thinking of suggestions for a good demo CD or setup CD that would help identify 'problem areas' more quickly and effectively than just random listening.

curtis
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I have found it easiest to compare single speakers side by side with a mono source, using an A/B switch. Makes it very easy to hear differences.

For two channel, purchasing an inexpensive A/B switch from Radio Shack would do the trick.

Also remember to level match.

metalaaron
05-04-2005, 05:25 PM
here are some answers from my experience
1 - absolutely positively YES bookshelves are completely capable of performing just as good or better than floorstanders. i think lee bailey posted some speaker setup links that help you integrate speakers into your room. there is also a very good discussion about a BFD that helps you fine tune your sub. one user on avsforum just sold his paradigm studio 100 v.3s for the studio 20 v.3 model. i preferred ascend's cbm-170 over another company's $1499 floorstanding speaker. i know another gentleman who sold his paradigm signature S8's for the S4's. all three of us used bookshelves because we preferred them over the floorstanders.
2 - you receive a cost savings with ascend's net direct business model
3 - your receiver is a good match for the efficient speakers
4 - stable. i have mine filled with sand. we had a small graduation celebration at my place and no one knocked my 340s over. :)
5 - the m60 is an excellent pair of speakers, though i preferred the 340 as a center over their vp150 and consequently wanted a matching L/C/R setup.

i don't know of a cd that would bring out any trouble areas in axiom or ascend speakers. just differences really. use a wide range of music. i prefer to listen to various materials that might include distortion guitar (van halen, metallica), piano (beethoven, chopin), heavy vocals (u2), live acoustic settings (neil young, dave matthews), etc. no particular order, but those give you a pretty wide range of music as well as an idea of the reproduction of that music. don't avoid using what you like best. couple what you like best and what sounds best to you, then you'll pick the best speaker for you. i always used my favorite cds, and i felt confident that i made the best decision for myself.

LampCord
05-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Just got done listening to Paradigm Monitor 9's and a Paradigm 5.1 setup with the Monitor 5's, CC-370, ADP-370.

I was very impressed with the speakers. And with the dealer. At first...

After digging around the AVS forum I saw someone had posted that they paid $1014 for the 5.1 setup I was listening to (without the Sub). This was for the new version 4's.

The dealer had quoted me $1024 for V3 demo's of Just the 9's and a CC-370. Add in the ADP-370's and we'd be talking > $1700. And that's for used V3's!

I was pissed. So I went to Paradigm's website to find another dealer in my area to see if I could get a better deal. Turns out that is the only dealer in my area!

This is why I hate the whole fricken Authorized Dealer game. No way for me to price compare. No way to know if I'm getting ripped off.

I was already planning to order 340's front and center to demo in my house but now even if it turns out I like the Paradigm's a little better I will be hard pressed to buy them from that dealership. I hate feeling like I'm getting ripped off!

BTW, will 170's make good surround speakers to round out this setup? I'm not getting them right away but will defintely want better surrounds if I end up keeping my 340's.

I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with my sub. We'll see how it sounds with the others.

jimsiff
05-04-2005, 11:39 PM
The 170 makes a fine surround speaker. So does the 200, and for that matter the 340 if you want matching speakers all around. :D Dave uses the 200 for his surrounds, btw.

LampCord
05-05-2005, 01:42 PM
OK, guys, wish me luck, I just pulled the trigger!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ordered 340 fronts and center with stands. The stands are out of stock so I'll have to wait another week for those. Not sure how to mount them in the meantime but I'm sure I'll think of something.

If I keep them (which I'm 98% sure I will) I'll eventually get 170's for surrounds. Possibly a sub at some point but only if I feel that my current one isn't doing the job.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all their input and advice. I'll update when they arrive...

Lou-the-dog
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
My crystal ball says you are going to be VERY happy with the Ascends! Congrats and definitely keep us posted.

Randy

bikeman
05-05-2005, 05:13 PM
OK, guys, wish me luck, I just pulled the trigger!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ordered 340 fronts and center with stands. The stands are out of stock so I'll have to wait another week for those. Not sure how to mount them in the meantime but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Congrats. I had to wait for a few weeks for my stands to get through the Port of LA. It was worth the wait.

David

LampCord
05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Congrats. I had to wait for a few weeks for my stands to get through the Port of LA. It was worth the wait.

David

I'm already playing around with mounting ideas for the week between the speakers arriving and the stands. Complicating the matter is not endangering the children and not enraging the wife with a functional but ugly setup (dining room chairs anyone?).

Most likely, they will end up sitting on the floor possibly tilted up at a slight angle until the stands get here.

LampCord
05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
My crystal ball says you are going to be VERY happy with the Ascends! Congrats and definitely keep us posted.

Randy

Your crystal ball was right!!!

They arrived last night (actually just the fronts, the center is on vacation in NC for some reason but will arrive on the 17th).

To make a long story short, these speakers are even better than I expected. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and order the 170's for surrounds to complete the set.

Its amazing how much better these sound than my JBL TLX181's. What's even more amazing is they are actually $50 CHEAPER per pair. What a difference mailorder vs. authorized dealer makes!

Thanks for everyone on this board for helping me get over the dread of buying speakers I had never heard. I have a huge stack of CD's I want to listen to and see how it REALLY sounds!

So much music, so little time....

BTW as a side note, these things integrated perfectly with my Velodyne 1210 Sub so that saves me $400-$600 on a new sub!

Lou-the-dog
05-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Cool!! My crystal ball has NEVER been wrong when it comes to the Ascends. I think I will now go and reward it with a nice bath in Windex. :D

Randy

shane55
05-14-2005, 12:06 AM
To make a long story short, these speakers are even better than I expected. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and order the 170's for surrounds to complete the set.

So much music, so little time....

BTW as a side note, these things integrated perfectly with my Velodyne 1210 Sub so that saves me $400-$600 on a new sub!

Well... a big congrats to you!
I had a funny feeling you'd really like these. How could you not? :D

As for 'so much music'... yes, today I began digging into the collection to hear things that I hadn't in a while. And guess what? I actually heard things that I may never have before. ;)

With speakers that have this kind of clarity, your music will sound new. As will your movies.

cheers!

shane