PDA

View Full Version : Any Firefly Fans around here?

Jonnyozero3
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
If you know what I'm talking about, I don't need to say another word. :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/

jojo
05-02-2005, 07:01 PM
yeah i use to like that show when it aired on fox years ago. looks good.

Jonnyozero3
05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
you should pick up the dvd box set from amazon or someplace. it has three episodes that never aired on fox, and all the episodes are in the correct order unlike when fox aired the show. there's also some good extras. :)

jojo
05-03-2005, 05:57 AM
thanks johnny, the movie looks good and i need to get refresh on the charators again. oh yeah i read you have the 435 h/k. im thinking about that reciever. any gripps yet and what are the cool features

Samurai Jack
05-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I cannot wait for "Serenity." I have hooked so many people on "Firefly" by lending them my DVD box set or showing them episodes at my place. The last guy I lent it to has had it for months and won't give it back!

How awesome is it that those DVDs are actually in 16:9? They look and sound awesome on my front projection home theater system. I enjoy them more than most movies I've seen recently. And they're often better produced and acted. The DVD commentary and features are really good, too.

I'm a total junkie. Fox was off their rocker to cancel this show (not to mention their other great gaffs like Futurama and Family Guy)...easily some of the most entertaining and engaging stuff ever aired. I'll be at the movie on opening day with my personal horde of converts!

If you haven't seen the show or don't own the DVDs (which have episodes you'd never have otherwise seen...and certainly not in their proper order thanks to Fox)...go pick this set up NOW. It's the most fun I've had "at the movies" (aka my basement) in recent memory. If you don't find yourself with the theme song playing in your head from time to time, you can call me a liar. :)

tw1zt3d
05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
i watched the show when it came on, i bought the dvds...i'm just glad that all the people are reprising their roles...one the things i hope to see is a little more back log of shepard...he has waaay to many tricks up his sleave to just be some preacher...and the trailer i've seen....river kicks much butt...

Samurai Jack
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't even know if I'd want to see it if it weren't the same cast. The great ensemble cast is what makes the show great.

Yes, I'm expecting to see something extreme in relation to River. Should be awesome. I expect the movie plot will largely revolve around her and the people after her.

I hope the theme song gets worked into there. It almost won't seem right if after the credits somebody doesn't go "Grrrr! Arrrg!"

Cliff_L
08-19-2005, 08:40 AM
I just recently watched the entire season on DVD and man, I must agree, it's definitely the best TV show I've seen in a GOOD long time. Wow. Even my wife got totally hooked on it. The characters are totally engaging & interesting and the dialogue is fabulous. :)

Serenity trailer #2 (http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/serenity/trailer_2/)

Here's a great (long, but worthwhile to read) interview with Joss Whedon:
Interview with Joss (http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm)

And a quote from MovieHole (http://www.moviehole.net/news/6104.html):

Gina Torres has officially dotted her I's and crossed her T's to reprise her role as Zoe in a "Serenity" sequel - if the studio calls for it. "Not everyone will be coming back, some of their stars are rising far too high, but Whedon's locking most of the cast down for sequel one and two", says a studio insider. According to our friend with his glass against the door, "Whedon's got his story mapped out already for the next one - it's a tale that'll continue for three films".

This is definitely a series worth every penny. I heard the new BSG is just as good & can't wait for the US DVD release of S1 Sept. 20th.

Jonnyozero3
08-19-2005, 11:40 AM
It's amazing that some of the crap on TV survives, while quality, intelligent and witty writing like Joss's gets lost and canceled. I'm very very excited for the movie, and by the interest the DVD is generating I am hopeful that the movie may do well, and that is not just for fans of the show.

Two sequals? I think I just messed myself.... :)

Check out their sales rank on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/dvd/130/ref=pd_ts_tb_f/103-9300128-5630221

I've seen it as high as #4. That's a HUGE accomplishment - to stick on the Amazon top sellers list for ALL types of DVDs? They are up there with some very popular material. I think things are going very well indeed.

Battlestar Galactica is a fantastic show as well. The mini-series was a little slow, and I feel the characters took a couple episodes to start to really find themselves, but I've watched season 1 in HD and what's aired of season 2 on Sci-Fi Fridays (which is showing Firefly as well, BTW) and I am impressed. I'm hesitant to say that it's as good as Firefly in the writing dept, but they definately have the dark immersive plot down pat. I love watching it, and it's definately my other favorite along with FF.

It's a good time to be a Sci-Fi fan :)

JohnnyCasaba
09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Received Disc 1 from Netflix the other day and finished up the 3rd episode a short while ago, fun stuff, will have to get the other 3 discs. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

Jonnyozero3
09-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Great show isn't it? I still love it.

LESS THAN ONE WEEK UNTIL THE MOVIE IS OUT! :D

I am estatic! Firefly party at my place!

Also, the DVD set is only $29.99 on Amazon at the moment - decent price.

Cliff_L
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
4 days & 3 eps left for me...:) My wife & I are rewatching the entire series to coincide with the release of Serenity. Of course, it's been difficult having gotten both BSG S1 & Lost last week (both of which are excellent shows!)

If you liked the Ballad of Jayne, you'll like this one as well:

The Ballad of Joss (http://mp3-postcards.com/listen/?888)

tjennings
09-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Ok, so what is Firefly all about? I saw a guy had the DVD ahead of me in line at Media Play over the weekend... I must have missed this series. And movie too??

Jonnyozero3
09-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Hmmm, it is hard to pin down exactly what it is, because I feel it is a great convergence of scripting, acting, and directing that makes a really special show. The humor and writing overall is top-notch, with a storyline that really draws you in. Keep in mind there are very few TV shows I would say this about (I can count them on one hand probably).

Anyhow, more specifically it is a science fiction show that aired on Fox in 2002 (I think) but was cancelled after only 11 episodes. But, when it came out on DVD it outsold Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and is currently #11 on amazon's DVD sales rank - I've seen it much higher, but it's holding strong against some AMAZINGLY popular competition (Lost, 24, Star Wars, Desp Housewives, etc). Anyhow, there are 14 episodes on the DVD set and they are all really fun to watch. If you have $30 to spare and like anything that delves into science fiction, but isn't hard core sci-fi, and instead had tons of great characters and character development with a moving plot - I would highly recommend you pick it up.

I know I'm pushing this pretty hard, but I have few TV shows that I really enjoy watching this much.

The movie got the go-ahead because the DVDs sold so well, AFAIK. The movie, titled "Serenity" will be out this weekend. If you can hold out and find time to get and watch the DVDs first I woudl do so - you will be very happy you did. If not, I'm sure the movie will still be a blast and you'll probably end up getting the DVDs to learn the backstory (whatever isn't covered in the movie).

Long story short - I'll be there Fri to watch the premier :)

Here's the DVD set...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AQS0F/qid=1127803068/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9300128-5630221?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

Let us know if you pick it up and what you think....

tjennings
09-27-2005, 03:58 AM
I remember seeing the previews for Serenity because it has "Steve The Pirate" from Dodgeball in it! :)

It already has great reviews on imdb.com - an 8.4 which is quite high.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

I think my wife works this weekend at some point, maybe I'll catch it this weekend too!

Cliff_L
09-27-2005, 12:33 PM
The guy who plays Steve the Pirate (Alan Tudyk) plays Wash on Firefly - the pilot of the 'Serenity'. The ship is named 'Serenity' but is a Firefly-class ship (that's where the name of the TV show comes from).

The show is about the crew & passengers of 'Serenity'. The captain (Mal) & 2nd in command (Zoe) fought for the losing side in a rebellion in the past. The winning side (the Alliance) ends up taking over like a big government type entity. In order to escape from the influence of the Alliance, Mal & Zoe pick up Serenity, take on a crew & hightail it to the far reaches of Alliance-controlled space (sort of like the frontier).

Out there, with little money & resources, they resort to taking on questionable type jobs (i.e. smuggling) to get by. At the start of the TV show, they end up picking up several passengers (with mysterious & unique backgrounds) that you slowly learn about throughout the show.

The show is about the interaction between the crew & passengers, and the little escapades/jobs. Basically think of it as kind of a western set in outer space.

The main crew is Mal (Captain), Zoe (2nd in command), Wash (pilot), Jayne (muscle/bodyguard/mercenary), Kaylee (mechanic), Inara (a Companion).

The passengers: Simon (doctor, brother to River), River (girl w/psychological problems) & Shepherd Book (preacher).

Like others have said, it's the characterization & interaction between the characters, along with the writing that makes the show as good as it is.

The show was canned by Fox only after 11 episodes because of pretty horrible ratings, but the blame was on Fox. They showed the episodes out of order (in fact, they didn't even show the pilot until the show was cancelled & then showed it as the very last episode), the show was slotted on Friday nights (usually not a good slot to begin with), and the show was often pre-empted by baseball games, along with the fact that they didn't advertise/publicize the show very heavily. It wasn't until the series made it onto DVD that it generated a huge cult-like following. The DVD also contains 3 eps that never aired originally.

Jonnyozero3
09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
What Cliff said :D

tjennings
10-01-2005, 07:15 PM
So how did you like it? A friend asked me to go to another movie tonight so I didn't get to watch Serenity while my wife was at work. Maybe tomorrow or early next week.

Jonnyozero3
10-01-2005, 07:33 PM
It was GREAT. I highly encourage you to go see it. I saw it with both some rabid fans of the show, some people who thought the show was "neat", and some others who had absolutely no idea what was going on. Everyone thought the movie was excellent.

I had VERY high expectations so I actually was worried it wasn't going to be as good as I hoped. But, it really turned out to be as good as I could have hoped. I don't ever gush about TV shows or movies like this, but this one really is very good.

Go see it, I think you'll be happy you did.

It's doing pretty well for reviews, better than I expected:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/

jojo
10-01-2005, 10:24 PM
i took my wife to the movie she liked it. but she only saw a couple of episodes. she really didnt get the tv show but liked the movie. i liked the movie alot probably up there for great movie of 2005 so far

tjennings
10-06-2005, 08:36 PM
It is up to an 8.6 now on IMDB.COM - that's a very high rating!

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/

If it rains Friday night so I can't go to a h.s. football game, I'm going to see Serenity!

Quinn
10-30-2005, 05:36 AM
My wife and I went last night. Niether of us had seen any Firefly but both loved the movie.

Jonnyozero3
10-30-2005, 08:11 AM
That's great :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish it had done better at the box office. Oh well. Hopefully it'll sell well enough on DVD that we can get something out of it (movie, miniseries, I dunno), but we'll see.

bikeman
10-30-2005, 08:35 AM
I rented (Netflix) a DVD of the TV show. I'll be getting the next DVD soon. I'm surprised this didn't make it on TV but I guess Fox just wasn't behind it. I should have all the TV DVD's done by the time the movie hits Netflix.

David

JohnnyCasaba
12-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Well just watched the movie, I loved it. Big thanks again for the recommendation!

tjennings
01-07-2006, 05:59 AM
I just watched SERENITY last night at a buddy's house... enjoyable movie! I had never seen FIREFLY. It didn't blow me away where I'll be buying the movie but I'm glad I saw it... if I hadn't read the reviews here I doubt I would have checked it out. Thanks!

Jonnyozero3
01-07-2006, 06:49 AM
"I always try to bring the word to those that need it told..."

Or something like that... :p

shane55
01-07-2006, 02:48 PM
We watched the movie last week (liked it a lot!), and this past week Tivo'd all the episodes as we never saw them. Saw three last night. Very good... for TV. The movie is much better than the individual episodes we've seen so far, but I'm going to reserve judgement on the series untill we are through with them all.

Doesn't compare to Battlestar Gallactica, but what does?? Yesterday's episode rocked!:D

Cheers

shane

Jonnyozero3
01-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Ahh, you are in for a treat, the first three episodes just get it started. I think they get better (in general) as they go on.

And yes, BG is FANTASTIC. Definately one of the best shows on Television. I think that Battlestar Galactica, 24, and Firefly are the three best TV shows I've ever seen (only on season 2 of 24 btw). Buffy is a close second behind them.

Oh, and about yesterday's BG episode...HOLY CR&@^(*&@^$#! :D

shane55
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh, and about yesterday's BG episode...HOLY CR&@^(*&@^$#! :D

Um... yahhhh!
Did you see that teaser 'Inside BG' special? Nice to see them outside their characters. Didn't know Apollo was a 'ferner'. He does a damn good middle-American.

Anyhow... Firefly (back to the thread).
Yeah, I'll give it some more view-time tonight. I'm sure it'll get better... :D :D

shane

bikeman
01-08-2006, 04:19 AM
Watched the first half hour of the movie Friday night. It was too violent for my wife so had to change to something else. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it today while the wife's out of the house. Definitely need to have some background from the TV series to fully appreciate the film.

David

shane55
01-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Definitely need to have some background from the TV series to fully appreciate the film.

The word 'fully' is important. I hadn't seen any of the series and really liked the movie. I don't think it's necessary to have seen any of the series to enjoy or appreciate the movie.

Fully, indeed. With a little background on the characters and their prior interactions, one can get a bit more out of the movie... though not much.

shane

tamuct
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I finished watching the TV series a few weeks ago, and I must say that Fox did terrible things to what should have been a great show. Joss Whedon did such a great job with character development that with each episode I wanted to know more about these characters and find out what happened to them next.

I need to grab the DVD and check out Serenity. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

shane55
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
If you liked the series, you'll love the movie. Really.

The best show of the series was the one where there is an explosion on board that cripples the ship. Malcom then has flashbacks of how he bought the ship and got the crew. Great show... great background on all the characters.

Essential viewing.

Cheers

shane

curtis
01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
OK....because of all you, I watched "Serenity" tonight....and very much enjoyed it! Thanks!

davef
01-16-2006, 11:43 PM
And because of all of you.... I too have started watching the series (Firefly). I am thoroughly addicted and already on disc 4 (which came tonight from Netflix)

Can't wait for Serenity (next week)..

Why won't HBO pick up the series and continue it? What a waste if it just disolves into oblivion.

Jonnyozero3
01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Has the theme song gotten stuck in your head yet? :D

BradJudy
01-17-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm also a fan after watching the show on DVD (didn't watch it when it was broadcast) and enjoyed the movie. It would be great to see the show come back or at least do another movie or two.

When I was in San Diego for business last year, I stopped by the Comic Con convention and, by random chance, Joss Whedon came by the Serenity booth while I was standing there, so I got him to sign a copy of the Serenity comic for me. I didn't get a chance to talk to him though, since he seemed to be rushing from one place to the next.

tamuct
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Has the theme song gotten stuck in your head yet? :D
Yes, I love the theme song. If you watch the bonus materials on the DVD set they talk about how Joss Whedon came up with the song and even plunked it out on the guitar as a demo. Although Joss needs more vocal training, the theme song is catchy and goes great with the series.

I just watched the Serenity movie the other day. I certainly recommend that you watch the series first. The plot make more sense when you already know the characters' past. I especially love the down and dirty style of cinematography. They talk about it the DVD bonus material. It gives the show a more believable feel.

<spoiler alert! don't read if you haven't seen the movie!>
I was really disappointed that they killed off Book and Wash. I had heard that Whedon was not planning on making a second movie, but without Wash and Book I don't see how he could successfully continue the series. Other than killing off 2 main characters I was very pleased with the movie.
<end spoiler alert>

shane55
01-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Reply to spoiler....

I agree. Not a necessary move. Integral characters.:confused:

shane

davef
01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Watched "Serenity" over the weekend.. LOVED it.. I am hooked and I want more but from what I read on various forums, it isn't going to happen. Such a shame...

*** spoiler.. do not read below

Pissed they killed off Wash. He was my favorite character and the best actor out of the bunch. It wasn't a necessary move... :mad:

Jonnyozero3
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
All hope is not lost :D

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

A sci-fi miniseries or even a true return to TV would make me very happy!

Jonnyozero3
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Watched "Serenity" over the weekend.. LOVED it.. I am hooked and I want more but from what I read on various forums, it isn't going to happen. Such a shame...

*** spoiler.. do not read below
.:mad:

**SPOILER TALK***

Regarding his death - I had heard rumors that he had gotten too expensive for Joss to keep hiring. I don't know if i believe it, but he did play Sonny in I Robot, the Pirate in Dodgeball, and one of the animals on Ice Age (I think). Who knows? If you've watched any other of Joss' stuff (Buffy or Angel), you'll know that he enjoys offing characters.

Jonnyozero3
01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Reply to spoiler....

I agree. Not a necessary move. Integral characters.:confused:

shane

********More Spoils******

I don't really mind that he killed book, I'm just mad I didn't get to find out his backstory. I think he was an operative, but that's just me. Hopefully we'll find out someday.

shane55
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
*****Spoiler talk*******

Yeah... we never do find out what the 'big secret' was. Maybe there really wasn't one, and they were just leading us on? Mystery for mystery sake? :confused:

shane

davef
02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
All hope is not lost :D

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

A sci-fi miniseries or even a true return to TV would make me very happy!

That gives me some hope. Maybe Joss can figure out a way to resurrect Wash? Just won't be the same w/o him.

How 'bout Steve Buscemi as the new pilot? Probably way too much money, but he would fit.

davef
02-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Just noticed that Comast On-Demand is offering all the Firefly episodes. 3 episodes at $2.99.

Jonnyozero3
02-01-2006, 12:16 PM
That gives me some hope. Maybe Joss can figure out a way to resurrect Wash? Just won't be the same w/o him.

How 'bout Steve Buscemi as the new pilot? Probably way too much money, but he would fit.

One of my pilot friends was so distraught over Wash's death that it made him not like the movie, haha.

Maybe Joss will do a flashback season? lol

About Book - seeing how Joss writes, I bet he had something good cooked up but couldn't find the room or time to tell it.

shane55
02-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Well if he did have something special about Book... I'd certainly give him a fair chance to tell his story. :D
Either another movie or series. Doesn't matter to me. I just would like more of this...

shane

Jonnyozero3
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I just read that Steven Brust, author of Jhereg (the Vlad Taltos series of books), which is excellent reading, wrote a Firefly book as he is a Firefly fan. I'm excited!

curtis
02-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Will you guys quit distracting DaveF so he can get back to his R&D work. Between this thread/Firefly and making babies.....sheesh! :D

Jonnyozero3
02-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Gorram forums. Just go watch Firefly (again if necessary) :D

bikeman
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
http://millimeter.com/mag/video_tight_ship/

Just came accross this. I haven't even had a chance to read it yet.

David

Jonnyozero3
02-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Interesting read! Thanks :)

mattepntr
02-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Something I never realized before...

Joss Whedon wrote the script for "Alien Resurrection".

Jonnyozero3
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I think he did some screenplay doctoring for them, and actually wrote three different versions. He said in an interview that they changed everything he did. I'll try to find the article. I bet the movie would have been a lot better had they followed his ideas.

mattepntr
02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Strange. He's the only credited screenwriter on the movie.

He also wrote for the early episodes of "Roseanne".

Jonnyozero3
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Hmm...I'll have to find that interview so I can be more specific :) I remember the point was that movie was not faithful to what he wrote or something. Hmmm again.

TO GOOGLE!

Jonnyozero3
02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Strange. He's the only credited screenwriter on the movie.

He also wrote for the early episodes of "Roseanne".

part III :)

http://www.infocusmag.com/05augustseptember/whedonuncut.htm

Looks like we're both kinda right....

shane55
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the link.

Rosanne?? Oh my. Impressed the wife... for sure.;)

shane

mattepntr
02-09-2006, 04:57 AM
"Roseanne" ended badly (to put it mildly) but the early
seasons are just amazing. Great writing, great cast.

shane55
02-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I conceed your point. I agree that it was good... at first.
As with many other TV shows, they are pulled long after they 'jump the shark'.

shane

Jonnyozero3
02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I conceed your point. I agree that it was good... at first.
As with many other TV shows, they are pulled long after they 'jump the shark'.

shane

That's only the second time I've heard that phrase mentioned...well done :p

tamuct
02-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I think he did some screenplay doctoring for them, and actually wrote three different versions. He said in an interview that they changed everything he did. I'll try to find the article. I bet the movie would have been a lot better had they followed his ideas.
I think I remember seeing something along these lines in the bonus material for Alien Resurrection (Alien Quadrilogy set)

I believe that the Alien series went to crap after Aliens. Alien3 and AR were sub-par in my book.

shane55
02-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I believe that the Alien series went to crap after Aliens. Alien3 and AR were sub-par in my book.

Completely accurate statements. :D

shane

Derek
02-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the movies was just ok. I love firefly, and have my dvr record it so I can re-watch an episode at any time.

I don't know what it was about serenity that turned me off. It really bothered me that they killed off two of the main characters. Also, I couldn't quite follow why the assasin and mal turned out to be best buds at the end. I thought the ending was kinda weak.

Maybe I was just expecting too much, especially after watching all of the trailers. Of course if they do any more, I will still gladly watch it. :)