PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on Ascends

scott1094
04-29-2005, 07:14 PM
1st post and I need help. I have been trying to assemble a home theater/audio system that would give me satisfaction without breaking the bank. I've been down the expensive road a long time ago and I know that isn't where I want to go this time. I know my hearing is lacking so maybe "bright" won't bother me but I do want accurate. I have a Yamaha 5760 that stays along with an SVS 20/39 PCi. My room is moderate in size (1500 cubic feet). What about 340's across the front adding 170's for the real later. For what it's worth my favorite speakers were Dahlquist DQ10's that were mirrored and bass wired. I don't expect Ascend 340 to equal them but will I be in the ball park?
Thanks for any and all help, I thought I had this foolishness out of my system years ago, my bad.
Scott

bikeman
04-30-2005, 06:46 AM
"Thanks for any and all help, I thought I had this foolishness out of my system years ago, my bad."

Same here. I gave up being an "audiophile" in the early 80's and when I got back into it in the last few years, I've got a different, lower budget perspective.
It's been too long since I've heard Dahlquist to make any kind of comparison but one thing you can count on. The 340's are accurate. The big variable, like with any speaker is if it's the right speaker for your ears.
I don't own 170's so I can't give an informed opinion. When I add new surrounds, it'll be 200's. I'm basing that decision on size and placement restraints, not on any sound preference considerations.
I encourage everyone to audition the 340's. I consider it the baseline against which all speakers from $1200. and under should be compared. For the modest cost of return shipping, it's a heck of an opportunity.
Let us know how your search goes. It's our favorite topic of discussion.

David

scott1094
04-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Bikeman, that's the kind of information I need. I am well aware that my ears will be the final deciding factor but, with the help of those of you already listining to Ascends I can get a feeling for what to expect. From what I have been able to read here I can tell that there won't be any surprises if I choose the 340's. My SVS experience absolutly sold me on internet based audio shopping and Ascend seems to have the same business model. Anyone else have some ideas. I hope to make this happen by summer..
Scott

scott1094
04-30-2005, 07:46 AM
P.S. I first heard about Ascend when I inquired about the full range system that SVS is working on and Ron recommended that I check Ascend out.
Scott