PDA

View Full Version : 340 Main vs. Center

MikeQ
04-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Anyone know what the difference is?

Is one just on its side or is there some other design change?

Lee Bailey
04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
The tweeter is turned 90 degrees, and the crossover provides compensation for being mounted on a TV.

leonp
05-01-2005, 12:22 AM
If my center channel speaker is not going on a TV, but on a stand under the screen (front projection), would I be better off going with a 340main on it's side, then a 340C? Does it really make a difference? Can I get a 340M with the tweeter turned and the standard (not center) crossover?

leonp

bikeman
05-01-2005, 05:41 AM
If my center channel speaker is not going on a TV, but on a stand under the screen (front projection), would I be better off going with a 340main on it's side, then a 340C? Does it really make a difference? Can I get a 340M with the tweeter turned and the standard (not center) crossover?
leonp

If the is going to be horizontal like most are, you need the 340C. If the speaker is going to be vertical like Nicholas M. has, you'll need the 340M. What it sits on dosen't mostly matter.

David

dbart
02-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I asked David F this question and was told to use a third 340MSE horizontally stand mounted in front of projection screen. They don't use the tweeter wave guide now.
Therefore, the previous advice is only for the 340 classic model which is now discontiued.

sharerware
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I asked David F this question and was told to use a third 340MSE horizontally stand mounted in front of projection screen. They don't use the tweeter wave guide now.
So, the 340MSE can either be mounted vertically or horizontally as a center? :confused:

Jonnyozero3
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I think either the 340L/R SE or Classic mains can be used as a center in a front projection setup - this is because the center in such a setup won't need the EXBAC compensation as there is no baffle to worry about (no entertainment center, or big tv...just a stand like a normal speaker).

Thought: I wonder if there is a difference in price

davef
07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
So, the 340MSE can either be mounted vertically or horizontally as a center? :confused:

it all depends on the installation --- send me an email with your specifics and I would be happy to advise...

In almost all cases, the CMT-340 SE center is recommended. If you have a projection screen and the center is going to placed ear-level on a stand ( about 24" off the ground) with about 2 feet of clearance (in all directions) from any large reflective surface - a 340 SE main (no EXBAC) would be recommended. This *can* be used either horizontally or vertically but there are factors to this as well that we should discuss (such as your distance from the speaker, the width of the room, and the vertical height of the speaker).

There is no difference in price between a 340 SE center and a single 340 SE main. $298 + shipping.

sharerware
07-11-2006, 10:38 PM
DaveF - Thank you for the detailed response. Unfortuanetely, I don't have a room setup yet, though it should be finished soon. I've decided on getting Ascends, but I'm waiting until the room is finished. In the meantime, I'm trying to iron out some of the details. I have a perf screen that the LCR speakers will reside behind.

When you say 2 feet in all directions, are you including the screen as a reflective surface? With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable? It sounds like the 340MSE has some strict guidelines to be used as a center compared to the 340CSE.

davef
07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi sharerware,

You are most welcome... I am happy to help :)

When you say 2 feet in all directions, are you including the screen as a reflective surface? With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable? It sounds like the 340MSE has some strict guidelines to be used as a center compared to the 340CSE.

No -- the screen in your case should not be considered a reflective surface.

>With a perf screen which center would be better and would it be noticeable?

Again, there are still more variables I need to know to make the best recommendation for you.. Please see my previous post
but there are factors to this as well that we should discuss (such as your distance from the speaker, the width of the room, and the vertical height of the speaker).

Please send me an email with that info and I would be happy to make the recommendation.