PDA

View Full Version : THX certified

jojo
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
To those who own the Ascends for a long while and even james and DAvid could comment on this question.
First off Im saving all I can to buy these speakers. TO me they are excatly what Im looking for, so to me they are perfect.
Im wondering if these speakers would pass the rigiours THX test. Plus i like to hear thoughs on if members think THX certification is all its suppose to be for home theather.

jimsiff
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
THX certification is a sticky subject. There have been scores of threads on AVS that debate the usefulness of THX. I believe that THX certification can be a useful benchmark, but I don't believe that cerfication is a prerequesite for superior audio performance in a HT environment.

I own a THX Select certified receiver, but frankly I don't care one way or the other. Nothing else that I have is certified and I'm very happy with the system performance.

As to whether or not Ascend speakers could pass THX certification, I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they could pass at least Select, but I wouldn't bet on Ascend bothering with the process. On the flip side, considering who Dave used to design speakers for, I'm sure he has some insights into the THX process and what it takes to make THX certified speakers.

I do know that it takes time, money and extra effort to gain THX certification, and it may or may not make a significant impact on Ascend's bottom line. I believe you're required to sign an NDA when submitting components for review, so I doubt we as enthusiasts will ever get a meaningful look at the certification process or detailed results.

jojo
04-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks jimmsiff. my wife and I audtion them and we both love their sound very much. like i said, to me perfection. i can't wait to buy them. besides they play pretty load, from what i heard while i was at kpt krunch's place.

chas
04-28-2005, 05:48 AM
considering who Dave used to design speakers for

For which company did he design speakers??

Eddie Horton
04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I think it was M&K.