PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for a Marantz SR-5000

jspenn
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
I purchased a five CBM-170, one VTF-2 system and was running it with a Marantz SR-5000. About six months after the purchase, the Marantz fried and I had it repaired. About six months after that, it fried again. So instead of fixing it again, I'm in the market for a new receiver.

I think I had problems with the SR-5000 since the CBM-170's have 4-ohm impedance and the high current flow was more than the receiver could handle. So, what are some midrange ($400-$600) receivers that are specifically designed to power low-impedance speakers? I'm considering the H/K 525 (if i can find a deal) and the Outlaw 1050 (what is this about a 1070?). I've heard NAD is good, but I think they're out of my price range. Any other recommendations? Has anyone else had a problem with the low impedance?

curtis
04-26-2005, 01:41 PM
The average impedance of the CBM-170 is 8 ohms.......any AVR in your price range should not have a problem with them.

I am partial to HK and NAD, but many people have had great success with Pioneer, Onkyo, and Outlaw. The Outlaw 1070 is the replacement for the 1050, but I do not know when it is due for release.

I loved my HK 525.

Lee Bailey
04-26-2005, 01:42 PM
The CBM-170's are actually rated for an average impedance of 8ohms. Though by the spec charts they certainly look like they dip into the 4 ohm range a lot.

Mag_Neato
04-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I run 170 mains with an Outlaw 1050 and love it. No problems since getting the 170's 3 years ago(+/-)!

The 1070. I suspect, will be here shortly. Look for it after the NY CES show.

Expect it to cost around $800+.......just a guess.......as the 1050 was $599 new, and then went down to $499 when I bought mine.

jspenn
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
The CBM-170's are actually rated for an average impedance of 8ohms. Though by the spec charts they certainly look like they dip into the 4 ohm range a lot.

Oh, I was mistaken. If not the impedance, what could have been causing the SR-5000 so many problems? What should I look for in a new receiver that might keep this from happening again?

Lee Bailey
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Try to get a receiver that can handle down to 4 ohm loads. Even some of the lower end Sony's can do that, though there is a switch on the back that needs to be thrown. Heck, even my Denon 3803, which was a $1100.00 receiver when it was new, is not made to handle 4 ohm loads, and there are plenty of warnings in the manual about it. Though I have not had any problem running my 340's and 170's on it.

What exactly did the repair shop say they had to replace?

It is possible that you need better air circulation around your receiver. Where is it installed currently?

jspenn
04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
What exactly did the repair shop say they had to replace?

It is possible that you need better air circulation around your receiver. Where is it installed currently?

If I recall correctly, they had to replace a few transistors. The receiver was installed on a counter with nothing on top of it, so it was getting adequate circulation.

Maybe I was just running the Marantz too hard? If so, are there any affordable receivers out there that would support my desired power output (comparable to what the Marantz could handle, but hopefully a little more) and work well with the 170's? I think the SR-5000 was rated at 70Wx5 continuous.

bikeman
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
If I recall correctly, they had to replace a few transistors. The receiver was installed on a counter with nothing on top of it, so it was getting adequate circulation.

Maybe I was just running the Marantz too hard? If so, are there any affordable receivers out there that would support my desired power output (comparable to what the Marantz could handle, but hopefully a little more) and work well with the 170's? I think the SR-5000 was rated at 70Wx5 continuous.

People run the 170's with 8ohm rated receivers all the time. Also, 70W per channel is plenty of power. Something else is at work here. How loud is the music at your listening position and how far away from the speakers is it?

David

jspenn
04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
How loud is the music at your listening position and how far away from the speakers is it?

David

I never listened to music too loud, but for movies I did. The room is about 15 by 15 so I'm about 10 feet from the speakers. At that distance, the volume was considerable. I don't know decibles, maybe 105 or 110. Enough that you had to yell to be heard during action scenes. :)

curtis
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
I would check your speaker wire for good clean connections and no frayed ends, at the speaker and receiver.

Quinn
04-29-2005, 07:21 PM
The -000 from Marantz has a rep as having issues. I have a 7200 it sounds great but independent(Stereophile I think) testing shows the 7200 with all 5 channels going at 27watts per channel not the 100 it is rated at by Marantz. That said I've never needed more power. I'd look to Denon or the Pioneer 1014.

jspenn
05-05-2005, 08:38 PM
So I'm still no the market for a new receiver and I stumbled across an awesome deal on an Onkyo TXNR801. (It's going for $600 at http://www.onecall.com/PID_20578.htm, click on checkout to see the price). Does anybody have any comments about this receiver? How will it sound with the 170's? Is Onkyo a good choice as a solution to the problems I outline above?

bikeman
05-06-2005, 05:27 AM
So I'm still no the market for a new receiver and I stumbled across an awesome deal on an Onkyo TXNR801. (It's going for $600 at http://www.onecall.com/PID_20578.htm, click on checkout to see the price). Does anybody have any comments about this receiver? How will it sound with the 170's? Is Onkyo a good choice as a solution to the problems I outline above?

For receiver questions, I ususally go to the AVS Forum. Onkyo's are talked about regularly over there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=90

I have an Onkyo two channel receiver that I'm very pleased with but it lacks most of the bells and whistles on the 801.

David