PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 50/50 movie/music setup ?

BGHD
04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm about 80/20, but after factoring in the wife it'll have to be 50/50. So, I'm trying to figure out the best setup that'll accomodate both. For music, I'd like it to be good for 2-channel & multichannel SACD. For movies, looking for 7.1. Overall, room is about 2200 cub ft. So far, I'm sticking with 170 fronts, 340 center & Hsu VTF2 sub. Rather than going with 6 x 170s, would it work to have 4 x 170s (2 front + 2 side surrounds) + 2 x 200s (rear wall)? For 5.1 sources & multichannel music, can I assume the rears would be used minimally or turned off? Should I point the 2 side surrounds directly at each other (as per Davids setup guide) or down towards listener (planning to mount about 3+ feet above listener)? Please help. I've already punched a few too many extra holes (dang, crappy stud-finder!) in my drywall.

Lee Bailey
04-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I can not see anything wrong with your approach to the speakers, even though I would probably go with 170s for the rear surrounds as well.

Normally, you would want to aim the 2 side speakers at each other. If your wall mounts allow, try them out aimed at the listener as well, use what you prefer.

As far as using a stud finder, just push a needle into the drywall first to make sure there is a stud there, you'll know it quickly, and without making a big hole. Once you find the stud, push the needle through to the left and right of the first hole until you find the sides of the stud.

Mag_Neato
04-14-2005, 09:49 AM
If you have unusually thick walls(i.e. plaster -deeper than 3/4") you may need one of the better stud finders.......they will say "Deep scan", which gives you twice the scanning depth of standard ones.

some will even allow you to scan for piping/electrical runs. Expect to pay more for these units.

I think 200's would work fine for the surrounds. I use a similar sized, sealed speaker for my surrounds. My mains are 170's, and my center is an older B&W piece.

Eddie Horton
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM
I think the 4 170's, the 340c, and 2 200's would make a great setup. I have my surrounds about 110 degrees from the front center of the room, turned ever so slightly toward the listening position. This gives me the best compromise between movies and multi-channel music.

BGHD
04-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. David may be happy to know I may keep everything I ordered. I originally thought to go w/ a 5.1 setup and was A/B-ing b/w 170 & 200s surrounds, but now may keep em all for 7.1. Not sure about the WAF factor though, with all the wall-mounted speakers.