PDA

View Full Version : Ascend suggestions, please!

mv1612
04-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi,

After checking lots of stuff on the Internet, I decided to buy Ascends, for a stereo setup. As for my listening, it will be 70% classical (orchestra, piano, opera) and the rest for contemporary music (rock, pop…)
1. Given that I’ll mostly listen to classical, which one do you think would be more appropriate: the 170s or 340s, if price is not a factor?
2. Would my listening experience be acceptable without a subwoofer? (I’ll add it later only). When the time comes to buy the sub, would you recommend the Hsu’s or something else? I would look for a tight, precise and musical bass… I couldn’t care less about shaking walls… budget, <=400.
3. And finally, what kind of integrated amp “personality” would you recommend for my Ascends: my intuition goes towards Nad, Rotel or Harman Kardon…
I know these are basic questions; my problem is that this will be my first good system and because of some family and job related problems, I really don’t have the time to go listen, I’ll just base my decision on Internet reviews and the input from informed people like you.

Thanks, Virgil.

bikeman
04-09-2005, 08:44 PM
"1. Given that I’ll mostly listen to classical, which one do you think would be more appropriate: the 170s or 340s, if price is not a factor?"

340's. No question.

"2. Would my listening experience be acceptable without a subwoofer?"

More than acceptable. It would be music to your ears. ;)

"When the time comes to buy the sub, would you recommend the Hsu’s or something else?"

When I upgrade it will probably be a Hsu. There are other good brands to consider but if you can't auditon, play it safe and get a Hsu.

"3. And finally, what kind of integrated amp “personality” would you recommend for my Ascends: my intuition goes towards Nad, Rotel or Harman Kardon… "

Three excellent choices. You can't go wrong. I'd decide on price and features.

I'm always looking for the best value. You're heading in the right direction.

David

Eddie Horton
04-10-2005, 06:01 AM
David summed it up. I agree completely.

mv1612
04-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Thank you! I'm glad you're suggesting 340's, I wanted to go with them too. I'm just kind of puzzled because I only found reviews of 170s... I found something about the 340s in the context of a complete home theater system only, I don't understand why. Do you know some links for reviews of 340 speakers in a stereo system?
Virgil

Kpt_Krunch
04-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Virgil - nice to see another Canuck on here. I'd definitely go 340's for stereo listening. When I was researching the Ascends, I noticed too the lack of 'professional' reviews on the 340's. I don't know why that is - maybe David F. can let us know if any will be forthcoming anytime soon.

One thing I will say that swayed me over to Ascend, other than the fine folks here who are very forthcoming and honest in the type of sound they deliver (Neutral, accurate, disappear, etc.) is the # of different versions of speakers David F. has created for each line. Of course, that # is ONE. David got it right the first time, and there is no need to come out with a version 2, version 3, version 4, etc. (in fact, other on-line vendors changed their speakers to voice match the 170's - that should tell you something right there).

Also, with the price of our loonie right now, matched with the fact the speakers are made in the US (no duty) and that Ascend eats about half the shipping cost (which is not advertised) IMO the Ascend speakers, whether it be the 340's or 170s (haven't heard the 200's but I'm sure there in this boat too from what I have read) are truely one of the best values in H/T today, even for us Krazy Canucks ;)

I've also read a lot of great things about HSU, and have had email contact with Dr. Hsu. From what your looking for in a sub, HSU would be the way to go - and you can get them direct here in Canada now!

I currently use H/K to power my Ascends (H/K 520 AVR for the center (340) and my surrounds (170's) and an H/K PA2000 for the L/R 340's). I'm also using a Paradigm PW-2200 sub to fill in the bass, and for stereo only listening, IMO, it sounds excellent :D. I also listen to classical, contemporary music (in addition to your preferences, Jazz and Blues are big for me) and even some blue grass/country (though I only 'dabble' in that ;)). The Ascends can do everything well IMO, and sound great with H/K!

jojo
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
hello im a potential buyer, well once i get the money saved up. i want to thank kpt krunch for letting me into his wonderful home to audition the speakers.
First of we listen to some movies. first up was daredevil (dts). WOW these speakers are very clear and transparent. i truly heard small things i havent heard with my speakers... like slight echos, dog parking things like that. When things got loud in the scene when young matt was in the hospital these speakers deliver the goods. no squawky sounds no bloated bass simply amazing. next we hit up the matrix. once again sound was amazing. the hype is all true.
Music was next on the menu. we listen to sacd and dvda. i have to say they sound amazing. we listen to norah jones, these speakers made her voice sound like she was right in the room with you. then came the a/b comparsion. i brought over a pair of klipsch synergy 1.1. we listened to the ascends first then my speakers. my wife noticed the difference right away. she loves the ascend sound and she know wants me to get the 340's with the stands, they passed the waf test.
i have to say david and his freinds designed an awesome speaker at an awesome price. they are worth way more than what he is selling hem for.
i love these speakers they are perfect for what i want. i want good clear unbias sound that is accuarte and not overly bright and squawky.
by note... i played some music my friends and i made and the way thses speakers sound made me feel i was back with my friends jaming out agian.

mv1612
04-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I would love to audition the ascends too, but Edmonton is kind of far from montreal :mad: , so I'll just have to be patient until I'll have them in my own house. Looking forward to that :rolleyes:
Cheers!

Kpt_Krunch
04-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah, Mtl to Edm is a bit of a hike to be sure :). Not sure if there are any Ascend owners out there - you may well be the first one!