PDA

View Full Version : Bullitt

jeh
04-05-2005, 10:47 PM
anyone have it on dvd...how does the car chase sound thru ascends?

Mag_Neato
04-06-2005, 05:00 AM
I took it out from the library a while ago......great movie and great car chase!

The sound quality is the best you can expect from the era.......so-so.

I watched the chase scene over and over, after all, I had a '68 Charger R/T when I was 16!

bikeman
04-06-2005, 07:23 AM
I took it out from the library a while ago......great movie and great car chase!
I watched the chase scene over and over, after all, I had a '68 Charger R/T when I was 16!

For those too young to remember, Bullitt was the movie that started the exploding car chase scene. After Bullitt, most contemporary action movies included car chases. Not my kind of movie but I'll always remember the stirr that the car chase scene created. Steve McQueen drove the car. He was usually his own stuntman.

David

Mag_Neato
04-06-2005, 07:39 AM
There's some interesting facts about that chase.

McQueen let his ego interfere, and insisted on driving the Mustang himself for all the stunts(or most of them), and flubbed a few, causing many retakes.

Also, the small block Mustang was no match for the 440-Magnum powered Charger, and they had to lay off the throttle to keep the chase close!

jeh
04-07-2005, 03:56 AM
speaking of muscle cars, what does the "o" in gto stand for? i knew this once but forgot.

GaryB
04-07-2005, 10:02 AM
"Omoligato", I believe...

I haven't seen Bullitt for ages. The car chase is definitely one of the movie's highlights, and I seem to remember a fabulous trombone-based "ultra-masculine" jazz track in the background during the chase.

The movie has many other attractions, though, and makes many of today's suspense/action movies seem flabby and ill-conceived by comparison.