PDA

View Full Version : Receiver question

curtis
08-13-2003, 02:48 PM
I have not heard them side by side. It is my perception that the Denon is not as warm as the HK. But this is up to debate, some say that receivers, and more so amps, do not sound different. I think I have heard differences

I used to have a Marantz SR4300, and when I switched to the HK 525, there was a noticeable difference in my 170's at the time. More clearity and detail. Of course there is also a difference of almost three times the retail price as well.

No up conversion on the 525.

I am looking to get a multichannel amp, and use my 525 as a pre/pro, then eventually get a dedicated pre/pro.

-curtis

Paul_Fisher
08-13-2003, 11:41 PM
I have an H/K 120 and I love it. I can only imagine what my 170's would sound like with the power of the 525.

smokey
08-14-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Paul_Fisher

I have an H/K 120 and I love it. I can only imagine what my 170's would sound like with the power of the 525.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Paul, you might want to check out this deal if you are seriously interested in the 525. Pretty good price.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_19089.htm

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

curtis
08-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Smokey, that is a smokin' deal on a 525....the 325 deal is nice too.

The only issue I would have is that these are refurbs, which is itself I have no issue with, but if there is a problem, Onecall makes you deal with HK directly. So if you get a lemon, you can't return it and have to deal with a service center.

For $511, I think it is worth it, and $386 for the 325Z.

-curtis

smokey
08-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Curtis,

For sure, that is relevant, but I've gotten 2 refurb H/K components on Ebay (auctions from Harman factory direct) and have had absolutely no problems (knock wood!) with them. Still, it is a way to get some quality items at pretty reasonable prices.

-Smokey

Thanks, the Management.

curtis
08-14-2003, 09:09 AM
agreed....check out harmanaudio.com for good prices on HK refurb gear.

-curtis

Ganesh
08-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Why was asking about 525 is this. Everyone that has listened to the 340's say that it's got pretty good base. In fact, Dave (of Ascend) suggested to try the speakers out with the matching stands so they won't be too boomy! But from what I've listened to them their base doesn't seem to be significant. And I don't mean base in the subwoofer vicinity, I mean even lower-mid base. So I was wondering if the HK's crossover freq control for each channel makes a difference here as opposed to the Denon's 'small/large' settings on the fronts.

curtis
08-15-2003, 12:57 AM
What are you comparing the bass too? Maybe you are relating boomy to be good bass? Boomy to me means resonating bass...not tight bass.

Make sure you have good clearance behind the speaker. I have about 16 inches to the back wall. And make sure the front speaker is at least flush with the front of the bookshelf to make sure the bookshelf does not cause any reflections. Mine actually actually about a half inch extended from the front of the bookshelf.

If you want boominess....set the speaker to large and move the speaker closer to the back wall an inch at a time.....I think you will hear begin to hear boominess.

-curtis

Ganesh
08-15-2003, 01:37 AM
I have my speakers on the matching stands (about 22 inch high) and they are about 16 inches off the back wall. I'm comparing the bass to the Axioms. The base on the 340's sound pretty much the same as the M22's. In fact the 340's sound more clear and open and in comparison the M22's sound less clear and "muffled" but because of this 'muffled'ness the M22's at times sound bit more bassy. The M22's are also on small stands and are set further apart from each other compared to the 340's.
In other words, to my taste, none of these speakers have bass good enough to say a subwoofer is not needed even for music. I mean they are not even close to that. (I understand for HT the subwoofer is an absolute must, I'm talking about only music.)

Thanks,
Ganesh.

curtis
08-15-2003, 01:47 AM
Very interesting.

I found the bass on the M22's comparable to the 170's. In fact the 170's sounded like they had more because of the "fullness" of the sound.

The 340's definitely play deeper than the 170's.

What kind of the material are you listening to? Maybe you need to find deeper stuff?

-curtis

curtis
08-15-2003, 02:29 AM
by the way...I thought the mids on the M22 were pretty clean.

-curtis

Ganesh
08-15-2003, 03:43 AM
I listen to a lot of 80's music. I also listen to some soft rock, some Jewel, Alanis Morissette (I don't what know what they are classified as), and a little bit more of classical (mostly Mozart). But no matter what I listen to, whether it's deeper stuff or not, I always feel that quite a bit is missing without the subwoofer with the front bookshelf speakers that I've listened to so far. Except maybe the one time I thought the bass was pretty good without the subs is the Boston Acoustics VR-M60's. But I've to go back and listen to them again to confirm that, but they are anyway beyond the price range that I'm looking for.

BTW, the M22's to me sound like good music but coming from behind some kind of an 'acoustic veil/screen' and the Ascends sound to me like that this 'screen' is removed.

EngenZerO
08-15-2003, 03:43 AM
btw, have any of you ever experiment with Yamaha. I am very intrested in their new reciever line up coming out this fall, and I would like to know how well they make the Ascends sound. 10x

Oz

[he_who_dares_wins] - sas

curtis
08-15-2003, 04:13 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ganesh

BTW, the M22's to me sound like good music but coming from behind some kind of an 'acoustic veil/screen' and the Ascends sound to me like that this 'screen' is removed.

Interesting. I didn't hear it that way. If anything, I think the M22 sounded a little thin.

When I heard the Rocket RS150, that is when I thought something was covering the speaker.

-curtis

curtis
08-15-2003, 04:15 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by EngenZerO

btw, have any of you ever experiment with Yamaha. I am very intrested in their new reciever line up coming out this fall, and I would like to know how well they make the Ascends sound. 10x

:) Ozzie...go for it and report back!

-curtis

subfree
08-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Curtis,
I'm using a H/k AVR-225 which sounds excellent. Mainly listening to smooth Jazz Red Book CD,SACD and DVD-Audio.Plus DVD-Video. In your opinion, what benefit would I receive upgrading to H/K-525,beside the various crossover options. Wattage Output is similar. H/k sub crossover is set at 100 when speakers are set to small.

CBM-170 mains
CMT-340 center
HTM-200 surrounds
DVD-Denon DVD2900
Receiver-H/k-AVR225

curtis
08-22-2003, 05:29 PM
How are you liking that Denon 2900?

I don't think it will sound much different at all...especially in two channel. The nicest features of the 525 are the bass management capabilities of the 6/8 channel analog inputs, and the triple crossover.

The triple crossover allows be to cross at different points for the mains, center, and surrounds...which I have set at 60hz, 60hz, and 80hz. For your setup I would cross at 80hz, 60hz, and 100hz.

-curtis

ronrosa
08-23-2003, 01:40 AM
The 525 also adds pre-outs which allow you to use a separate amp if you want.

subfree
08-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Liking the denon-DVD2900 very much. Listening to Sacd/DVD-Audio was an awakening to how one should really enjoy music.Regular CD playback has improved much over the panny CP-72/and H/K DVD50 multidisc player I upgraded from. Picture has improved greatly over both cp72/dvd50, much more clarity,detail and 3d quality and smoothness.Did not experience any of the base management problems noted by some,probably due the H/K225 having the capability of sub gain in the 6 channel imput. Had to increase sub channel +9 to get the type of bass that blended well with DD,DTS,SACD,DVD-Audio and CD. Going back and forth between receiver/DVD2900 DD & DTS,CD format processing,the 2900 has the edge in crispness of sound and openess.However some movies and CDs sound better using the HKs sound processing. I guess I'll remain with HK-225 for now. Thanx for the feedback Guys.

MarkZ2k
10-09-2003, 07:17 PM
For fans on the HK 325 or 525, check out www.costco.com
They have them both, plus their usual forever return policy. The 325 is $449. They aren't HK authorized, so instead of the warranty, costco will give you a refund if you have a problem. (Or just change your mind.)