PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor 5 V. Ascend 170

MikeQ
04-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Ok,

I get the fact that I am posting on an ASCEND board.

I am not a Hi Fi person but have done lost of internet research and found that the Paradigm and Ascend brands seem to have the best VALUE in the market and the sound of them are pretty neutral. So, I figure, with out hearing them I can make a pretty good choice...really does not seem I can go wrong with either.

I am posting hear to get your "biased" opinions about the comparisons. I will go to the local Paradigm shop later to get thiers.

Thanks for your input in to this choice for me...

OH, I have not yet purchased a new reciever...I currently am running a 10 year old Pioneer ProLogic system that is ready to move to my Fish Camp...

Eddie Horton
04-01-2005, 07:19 AM
I've not compared the 170's directly to the Monitor 5's, but I have directly compared the last model of the Montior 9's, Mini Monitors, and CC370 with a Velodyne sub (don't remember model, sorry) to my Ascend 340 mains and center, 170 surrounds, and HSU VTF-3MkII. The Monitor 9's got loud, but I preferred the sound of my Ascends, especially the mids and highs. When you factor in the cost, it was really no contest. Keep in mind that you'll more than likely get the exact opposite response from a place that sells Paradigm, but I doubt they have ever heard Ascend speakers. We may be biased toward what we own, but at least we as consumers and enthusiasts have taken the time to do A/B comparisons. If you could get your hands on some of the Paradigms, order a pair of Ascends and see what you think. The Ascends need a sub to fill in the lows, but so do the Monitor 5's. I think the Ascends image better, are more detailed in the mids and highs, and my 340's are more dynamic, but that's just my 2 cents.

curtis
04-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Mike welcome to the board.

Add my two cents to Eddie's two cents...he wrote it better than I was trying to.....but it is still early in the morning for me.

cestlavie
04-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Having only heard the 340s, and paradigms at a shop (forgot the exact model) that were around the same price range here are my personal impressions, though impressions will obviously vary. The 340s are more detailed in terms of voice and midrange to high clarity. Voices come through and haunt you with how realistic they sound, one of the songs I really enjoyed through the speakers was a little know song, Uncle Sam - I don't ever want to see you again.

The paradigms, are not as clear in the midrange to high side, not that it's particularlly awful distortion, but rather the bass over powered the mids to highs. Some people like it that way. The CMT-340s have bass, but definitely would benefit from the addition of a subwoofer, while the paradigms are more bassy, but I'm sure if you like bass that much, you'd get a subwoofer anyways.

In conclusion, in equal price ranges, I would say the ascend fits my musical preference more, I think both are great speakers, in fact I would have no problem recommending paradigm to my friends who love more bass centered music. My own taste in music is flat response curves, so every nuance of the music is not over powered by most parts, with bass coming generally from the inaudible range (got a brahma in my car), so that everything really comes through nicely, and you can still feel a good amount of bass.

Just my 2,
congrats, you now have 6 cents

C'est

BradJudy
04-01-2005, 07:43 AM
I replaced my Paradigm MiniMkIIIs with CBM-170s a couple of years ago. I thought they were very close in sound quality, but I also think the MiniMkIIIs were nicer than their replacements (the MiniMonitors). I didn't care for Paradigms as much after they made the move from the MkIIIs to the Monitors.

I also preferred the KEF Q series to the Paradigm monitor series (a local dealer sold both lines when I was shopping a couple of years ago, so I could compare them).

Overall, I naturally lean toward the Ascends. A big part for me was also the company I was getting them from. The service from Ascend has been much better than the service from the local dealer.

bikeman
04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I haven't heard the 170's so I can't speak about their comparison to Paradigms. I did audition paradigm's and I felt for roughly twice the price the Paradigm's could compete with my 340's. The Paradigm dealer would have cut me a good deal (I'd been a customer for over 30 years) so it would have cost me a bit less but it still was not a contest. It would be well worth your time and expense to audition the Ascend's. Even if you wind up choosing another brand, you will be miles ahead having heard these speakers.
Welcome to the Forum.

David

bri1270
04-02-2005, 05:00 AM
I'm actually thinking of replacing my Monitor 3 (rears) with the HTM200's to match my 340m's and my 340c. I'm just so tired of buying, selling and setting up and readjusting everything right now. So far in the last 3 months I have upgraded just about everything except my DVD player (denon DV2800) and my rear speakers. However, because of my room setup and size, I think the 200's will make for much better surrounds than the Monitor 3's, and because they're of the acoustic suspension design, they will definitely give me better mounting flexibility. We'll see...

Eddie Horton
04-02-2005, 06:35 AM
If you do this, be sure to let us know what you think.

bikeman
04-02-2005, 06:57 AM
If you do this, be sure to let us know what you think.

Definitely. I'm eventually going to replace my Altec Lansing 75's with the 200's for surrounds. Always want to hear from the folks who've already done it.

David