PDA

View Full Version : My HK AVR 630 just died

sensibull
04-01-2005, 04:15 AM
I bought an HK 630 from Dave & co. when I got my 340 mains and center (in the fall of last year) and unfortunately(!!), it looks to be dead at this point. Yesterday, during routine operation (my kids were watching a movie via HTPC, audio connected to the 630 via optical) the unit just kicked off. My first thought was overheating (though I wasn't driving it hard at all, it was a little warmer out than it had been and the unit is kept behind plexiglass in an entertainment center with an open rear), so I let it cool down a bit, turned it back on and it seemed to operate fine... until today. Once again, the unit shut off during routine operation. But this time, after killing the main power switch, letting it sit for a bit and then turning it back on, it immediately cut off and went back into standby. So this time I checked for shorts with the speaker wires (none), tested the plug in another outlet, reset the processor, and finally took it off the rack and removed absolutely every wire attached to it. Nothing helped. The receiver simply won't retain power for more than a split second before reverting to standby. Just to be clear -- there have been no electrical storms or outages, it has always been plugged into a decent surge protector, and I have never driven it hard at all (never turned it above -25, actually).

The truly weird and downright frustrating thing about all this is that the exact same thing happened to an refurbed HK 3475 (stereo) receiver that my mother and I purchased for my father for Christmas after finally convincing him to jump into quality components. I ended up having to drive nearly an hour each way to a repair shop and wait 5 weeks for the repair to get that one back to my father. Needless to say, our experience, coupled with some other horror stories (and at least one exact duplicate of my current situation posted of AVS) that I've read about on the web, does not speak well for for HK's quality control. I have definitely enjoyed the sound of the 630 when combined with the Ascends, but I am truly bummed out by the outcome of my first foray into "quality" hi-fi.

The one bright spot in all of this is that when I hooked up my 10-yr.-old low end Denon (AVR900) to the Ascends, they still sounded great!! Certainly not as rich or clean as with the HK, but not bad, not bad. Now that's a sign of a quality speaker...

bikeman
04-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I know a defective speaker wire can cause the receiver to protect itself by shutting down. I'd also try a different DVD player if one is available. It may be the receiver but there's sometimes other causes.
It's a bummer no matter the cause.

David

sensibull
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply David. There are currently no speaker wires or cables attached to the unit at all and it is still shutting down immediately.

sensibull
04-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, the saga continues...

I just got my HK 630 back from the shop, must sooner than anticipated. They said the problem was just a couple of bad solder joints. When I first hooked it back up (25 connections later), it went back into standby again and my heart sank. I rechecked my connections and actually found one speaker not properly attached. Fixed that, and it powered on beautifully. My heart leapt!

Until... I discovered I wasn't getting any sound out of my surround channels. Rechecked my connections a second, third, and fourth time. Ran the test tones a couple dozen times each, reset the processor, reversed the front and rear speakers (to make sure it wasn't wiring or the speakers themselves), and still no joy from the surround channels. So I threw my old Denon back in and all five channels working fine.

I'll take the HK back to the shop, but this time I'm not holding my breath...

Nicholas Mosher
04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
I give electronics one shot, no repairs. If something happens I demand a new one. If the second one busts I return it and bad-mouth the entire company to everyone I know.

I have very little tolerance for shabby build quality at these prices. :mad:

Quinn
04-07-2005, 10:26 AM
It is still under warranty isn't it?

sensibull
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes. And I just got finished writing a scathing email demanding an upgrade, or at least a replacement. I also asked them to pay return shipping (this thing weighs a ton). That's only fair, right?

Eddie Horton
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
If it's under warranty, I wouldn't think you'd be responsible for shipping.

sensibull
04-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I thought the typical deal was you pay to send it back and they pay for the replacement...

Just got my automated reply... my web rep it out of the office until Sunday. Man, this just keeps getting better and better...

ClutchBrake
04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Unfortunate incidents like this really emphasize why I like supporting businesses like Ascend and SVS. Customer service is second to none.

While I've never had a problem with either of the Denon receivers I've owned I shudder at the thought of my 3803 having problems. I'm sure it would be a nightmare to get it repaired. I'd probably end up just buying a new one.

Perhaps should my Denon ever die (please God no!) I could find a company like Ascend or SVS offering a replacement. I hope I'll need to upgrade long before the 3803 offers any problems. Can't see why that won't be the case.

Heck, since dealing with SVS and Ascend I've begun looking for smaller companies for all my purchases. I recently bought a King bedding set from a small company based out of St. Louis. Couldn't have been happier with the service or product.

Nicholas Mosher
04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I've definetly been won over by the incredible customer service of places like Ascend. They even have an easy to find phone number!

A couple years ago it took almost an hour to find the direct 800 number to Amazon.com. I ended up calling toll-free directory assistance and speaking with a representative to hunt it down. Unbelieveable.

Last time I had a problem with electronics was with my cell phone service. I tried calling twice with no help. I lit my phone on fire, took a picture of it, and sent a picture of it by mail to sprint. Somehow that got their attention and they called back. I cancled my service and threw the plastic globule in a grinder at work. Haven't had a cell phone since, and don't plan to.

sensibull
04-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Whaddya ya know, sometimes persistence has its rewards and big bad companies don't let you down...

Here's the latest email from the backup online HK rep:

"I am very sorry to hear of the repeat trouble with your receiver and I would be more than happy to assist in replacing your receiver for a new AVR 635. Could you please forward me your contact phone number so I can begin processing your return authorization? I will also send you a prepaid UPS shipping label so there will be no charge for shipping you unit to us for exchange."

So at least I get an upgrade for my troubles, and one with a EzSet/EQ function no less. Now I'm wondering if I need the BFD...

jimsiff
04-07-2005, 02:43 PM
That's great. Good to hear HK is working with you on this one.

I don't know about the 635, but many receivers don't EQ the sub output. Even if they did, most receivers only have 1, maybe 2 EQ bands in the sub frequency range.

Nicholas Mosher
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
:) Nice!

bikeman
04-07-2005, 03:39 PM
"Now I'm wondering if I need the BFD..."

The receiver's EQ function is different from what the BFD does. It would be my guess that the BFD would make the receiver's EQ work even better. No low freq peaks to compensate for.

David

tamuct
04-07-2005, 07:01 PM
I've had my HK 635 for about a month now and have had very little problems with it. I got mine from a company on eBay at a significant discount. I had to fight with them on shipping delays, but the receiver finally arrived and is in working order. I'm using it with some old (1970's) Pioneer speakers trying to save up for a nice 5 piece set of Ascends.

The only problems I've had with mine have been when I've watched a couple movies from my HTPC. It's connected via the SPDIF input. Every now and then the computer barfs and it causes the HK635 to stop responding. Only recourse I've had is to power off the unit and power it on again. Don't you love it when computers don't get along??

gr1m
04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
just got an e-mail from ac4l marantz 7400 for $649.99 NEW shipped if that's an option

sensibull
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't know about the 635, but many receivers don't EQ the sub output. Even if they did, most receivers only have 1, maybe 2 EQ bands in the sub frequency range.

The receiver's EQ function is different from what the BFD does. It would be my guess that the BFD would make the receiver's EQ work even better. No low freq peaks to compensate for.

I somehow missed your response on this David. You raise some very interesting possibilities re: integrating the BFD and the 635, and have me hoping I didn't just waste $$ on a BFD. I just slogged through about half of a 29-page thread re: the capabilities of the H/K 635 on AVS, and while I was extremely disappointed to learn that the 635 does not offer bass management or EQ on its 8 hi-rez analog inputs (a feature included on the 630), I was surprised to hear that its low frequency digital EQ was the best on the market in this price range. I still need to do some research regarding how many bands it offers, etc. but the input of at least one poster suggested the BFD would be superfluous.

"My SVS had a huge hump in my room at about +20 dB around 40-50 Hz. Now its +or- 4 dB from 120Hz to 20Hz. Amazing."

So, I guess I'm a little confused as to how I go about testing the BFD's usefulness in my situation. Would I configure the BFD before applying any of the 635's EZset/EQ tests? And furthermore, based on all accounts the EQ implementation of the 635 is top-notch, and comes with an accurate mic. Can I assume I could use that instead of a Radio Shack SPL (which I have yet to purchase)?

bikeman
04-12-2005, 03:53 PM
"Would I configure the BFD before applying any of the 635's EZset/EQ tests?"

Yes. That's the only way that makes sense to me. I'd be interested in hearing an alternate view.
You're in a very good situation. You can do this with the BFD and then without. If it turns out the BFD isn't needed, it's an easy resell. For sure let us know the results if you go this route.

David