PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a purchase

Ray_C
03-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I've been hanging out on these forums for about a month and would like to purchase probably a 7.1 system. However, I am currently living in a pretty small apartment with no plans to move until I get transferred out to a different city by my company. I'd like to get a 340 center, 6 pairs of 170s and a vtf2mk2.

I just recently picked up a Kenwood VR-8070-S, not so much because I needed it, more because I found it for a pretty good deal. LOL And now I need speakers to hook up to it.

The room I'd put it in is about 12' x 12' so I was thinking about maybe getting 1 pair of 170s and the sub which would make a decent 2.1 system and adding the other 5 speakers when I get a bigger place. I would really like to get the 7.1 now but I really don't have the room and I just know some of the speakers are going to end up sitting in their boxes.

Still haven't hooked up the receiver, work's been keeping me pretty busy but mainly I don't want to rearrange the living room and move this 250 lb tv. :eek:

Thanks in advance for any comments suggestions.
Ray

Nicholas Mosher
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
First off, I think you meant 6 speakers not pairs! :p

For a 12'x12' room, 7.1 would definetly be overkill. I can definetly recommend the CBM-170s. Best value in all my HT purchases thus far.

Those HTM-200s might be a desirable option for surrounds in that size room. I haven't heard them, but I haven't heard a single bad thing about them either.

Good luck!

Ray_C
03-28-2005, 05:48 PM
lol.
yes 6 speakers, 3 pairs. :D

It's been a loooooong week. Probably put in about 130 hours of work this past week. Can't wait for days off starting wednesday :)

I've read your raving reviews of your 170 setup, may have subconsciously had an effect on what I desire my setup to be. I'm not only buying for my current place, if things continue to progress as they are I should be transferred out of here by the end of the year and I may be in a bigger place in my next location and I always try to look forward in my investments.

Nicholas Mosher
03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
In that case I would go with five CBM-170s, or four CBM-170s and the CMT-340c if your TV is a tube or rear-projection.

Then if you ever need to go 7.1, simply order another pair of 170s. To be honest, I'm actually thinking of ordering one more pair of 170s to store away in case I ever commit to a mortgage and have the space for 7.1 audio. That way I won't have to call up Dave F. and plead for that extra pair when he moves onto the CBM-180 "Super-Awesome-Specs" and I'm stuck without. Then again, I'll probably want a 7.1 setup of the new "Super-Awesome-Specs" given the performance of my 170s... :D :p

Hope you get 'em!

bikeman
03-28-2005, 08:39 PM
"I just recently picked up a Kenwood VR-8070-S, not so much because I needed it, more because I found it for a pretty good deal."

Good choice. I have the same power plant with a few less bells and whistles.

"I was thinking about maybe getting 1 pair of 170s and the sub which would make a decent 2.1 system and adding the other 5 speakers when I get a bigger place. "

You're on a roll. Go with it.

David

Ray_C
03-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the input bikeman and nick.

Maybe I'll give the people at Ascend a call in the next few days and go from there.

I just realized I just picked up yet another very expensive hobby. lol
I'm also spent a good part of the day looking at a supercharger kit for my car for $5k, a digital SLR camera for a little over $1k and about $800 in upgrades to my computer. LOL I guess it all goes downhill from here. :D

Nicholas Mosher
03-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh jeese, I think I opened up a can of worms...
I just got some PMs and eMails asking "What are the new specs on the CBM-180 Super-Awesome-Spec, and how much will they cost?". :D :p

To all that are curious, find out for me too! (iow, it was a joke...).

Quinn
03-29-2005, 08:40 AM
That way I won't have to call up Dave F. and plead for that extra pair when he moves onto the CBM-180 "Super-Awesome-Specs" and I'm stuck without. Then again, I'll probably want a 7.1 setup of the new "Super-Awesome-Specs" given the performance of my 170s... :D :p

Hope you get 'em!

When the 340s came out Dave had a trade-in program. I'm sure he'll do something similar whenever he debuts whatever is next. I'm as eager as everyone else to see/hear his next product whatever it is. IIRC- Dave did not release any info on the 340CC until it was production ready. So don't expect months of tantalizing teases from him.

bikeman
03-29-2005, 01:32 PM
"So don't expect months of tantalizing teases from him."

As much as I would love to hear about the upcoming speakers (if that's what's upcoming), I see Dave's point in not letting the cat outta the bag in advance. You can generate some buzz with an advance announcement but let one thing delay or have something that wasn't caught in beta testing occur and now you'll spend way too much time putting out fires and making excuses. Who needs it?

David

Nicholas Mosher
03-29-2005, 01:44 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/agree.gif
I just thought it was funny how fast I got a PM and 3 eMails regarding the new CBM-180 I was joking about above. There must be some serious interest in a new monitor from Dave.

curtis
03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Oh jeese, I think I opened up a can of worms...
I just got some PMs and eMails asking "What are the new specs on the CBM-180 Super-Awesome-Spec, and how much will they cost?". :D :p

To all that are curious, find out for me too! (iow, it was a joke...).

hahahaha....I thought that might happen. DaveF is so tight lipped about anything in his bag, any thought of you on having an inside track would cause a stir. It is argueable that Ascend is the leader in cost vs. performance, and others are gunning for them.

Dave has posted before about how long it took for him to get the speakers "just right". If and when something is coming down the pipe, I think we can assure ourselves that it will be of the same Ascend tradition. The great thing is, with what we have now.....we know we can't get better sound without paying a lot more money.