PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Ascends

cestlavie
03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
And wow. The context is I'm pairing them up, as of right now with a...VSX-56txi (unequalized, too lazy since I'm not planning this to be a permanent setup), a phillips cheapie Divx DVD player, Rca interconnects, monster XP cable (the guy gave them to me for free, I can't complain with the price), paired with ascends on ascend stands (2).

The highs and mids are comparable to the CDT's in my car, but better, that's saying a lot considering that CDTs are 300 something for just a midrange and a tweeter, if ascends fit in cars, I would get them over the CDT's in a heartbeat.

But anyways, enough with the car audio bs. Midrange and highs are definitely not lacking, or overpowering in any way. Midbass, is pretty good, probably not as strong as I would like, but that might be because the way they are EQed or the music I tested them with, but depending on how far away you are from the speakers it can get pretty loud and well defined. As promised, the speakers do need a sub to complement the low end, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who did a shred of homework.

But VERY impressed, due to the lousy nature of the auxillary components (phillips DIVX player, RCA connection), which probably played a pretty big role in how the music came out.

Just got a question though...on the ascend stands...there is a threaded hole in the back. Anyone have any clue what's that for?

Kpt_Krunch
03-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Just got a question though...on the ascend stands...there is a threaded hole in the back. Anyone have any clue what's that for?

Hello cestlavie - congrats on your purchase!

I'm assuming here you got the 340's with the matching stands. The stands also come with a thick cardboard plate. You attach this plate to the back of the stand and the speaker using the holes provided in each. It is not intended to keep the speaker on the stand if you tip them over, but it will hold the speaker on the stand if you bump it. I hope that's what your asking about.

davef
03-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi Cestlavie,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the speakers!

Kpt's got it right.. the single threaded insert on the back of the 340 mains is used to attach the 1/8" thick MDF bracket (hey Kpt, cardboard?? :rolleyes: ) from the stand to the speaker, thus securing the speaker to the stand. This hardware is included with the pedestal stands.

Hope this helps!

cestlavie
03-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the help, yeah I got it sorted out, it's actually on the pictures on the main website, but thanks for taking the trouble to take your own picture.

Hahaha cardboard :p , I do hope that was a typo, cause as much as I admire the strength of cardboard, it's hardly worth the time.

C'est

Kpt_Krunch
03-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Cestlavie,

(hey Kpt, cardboard?? :rolleyes: )

Sorry Dave - actually, for some reason I wanted to say 'particle' board but I knew that wasn't it, but when I typed it out 'card' got in there instead (sometimes the fingers type on their own :))