PDA

View Full Version : Another sub EQ product...this from Hsu

BradJudy
03-14-2005, 07:39 PM
For those who don't read the Hsu forum, it looks like they will also be jumping into the sub EQ game. http://www.lyrtech.com/investors/details.php?pkiddocument=191&types=N

I'm not sure how far out an actual product is since that was a pretty vague press release from late Jan. It will be interesting to see what the product will be like.

Lee Bailey
03-15-2005, 06:47 AM
My question would be, how much additional delay will be added to the audio when using this system for Home Theater? It could make it look like lip-sync problems.

BradJudy
03-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Velo has been using this type of system for a while on its DigitalDrive line of subs. PEQs are very commonly used and as far as I have heard from users, introduce no noticable delays. Considering the much greater processing used in a typical receiver without delay, this isn't surprising.

Lee Bailey
03-15-2005, 09:48 AM
I was thinking more in line with a DSP correction system for all the audio, not just the sub. oops...

bri1270
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
How hard is the whole Sub eq-ing thing? I'd like to give it a shot, but my technical aptitude is about as high as a gnats a**. Is it one of those things that just seems tougher than it really is?

Quinn
03-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Some come with a microphone and do all the work for you. I didn't see enough details in that link to show how the Hsu EQ will work.

curtis
03-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Eddie Horton posts his experience here:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=7272#post7272

It seems to be more time consuming than difficult.

Lee Bailey
03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
It all depends on what the unit itself is capable of doing without having to purchase additional measuring equipment and/or software.

The SOS (Subwoofer Optimizer System), is an easy, though not inexpensive (around $269.00), automated parametric equalizer. It comes with its own calibrated microphone. The drawback is, it only handles the worst peak in your room. The Rocket UFW-10 subs have this unit built-in.

A lot of people prefer buying the Beringer Feedback Destroyer for around $100.00. Then of course you need to have a PC with measuring software,a CD of tones, and a good microphone. It can handle 12 parametric bands to EQ. This takes some hours to set up, with a big learning curve.

At a minimum, you would want to purchase at least a Radio Shack SPL meter, and either create your own test tone CD, or purchase one from a site like RivesAudio. You could then run through the tones, and graph out your response for your entire system. You could actually then just try moving your speakers around to see if it helps flatten out the reponse.

Of course, you should have some sort of SPL meter whether your're running a 2-channel rig or Home Theater, and use the receiver's internal test tones to be sure you have the right volume setting for all the channels.

Last but not least, most of the newer $600 and up A/V receivers are now offering a built-in parametric equalizer and microphone that will do this work for you. They'll even set the proper distance delays for each speaker as well.

bri1270
03-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX which does all of the speaker Eq-ing and distances like you mentioned. Unfortunately it only sets level and distance for the sub,m it doesn't EQ it. It's pretty well right on the money too, does a fine job in my opinion. I did go to the snapbug site, and I downloaded his test tones, just have to burn them onto a CD. All I need is the BFD I guess. Aren't there any that do it all for you like the receivers? Nevermind, even if there was I'm sure it would cost a fortune. I'll mess with placement and stuff first, and see where that leaves me. I never felt like I had bad bass, but now that I know it could be better throughout the room...you all know how this goes.

curtis
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Lee...that would be the Rocket ULW-10 sub....the UFW-10 doesn't have SOS.

It will be interesting where all this EQ business ends up......especially for the sub. I would like it to be in the pre-pro/receiver...and have the ability to EQ the sub seperately from the speakers. I think EQing the speakers is a mixed bag....the two times I have heard speakers EQ'd through the receiver, I didn't like the end result.

Lee Bailey
03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks, I knew it was a U*W-10 sub of some sort! I was surprised to see they integrated it in. I have one of the SOS standalone units. Got it when it first came out, introductory sale of $250.00 :eek: . I could hear the difference, but haven't sat down to measure it yet. I do have TrueRTA on my laptop. Guess I just need to kick everyone out of the house for awhile to do some testing! I just didn't have the room to put that BFD into. Plus, it wasn't really made for home use either.

Quinn
03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
When I took a bunch of different speaker to an audio gathering in Austin not using auto eq on the amp was requested by more than one speaker company. Look at how many threads you see asking, "why did auto set-up set my surrounds to large?" Most people that have auto set-up amp feature and try a sound meter and set-up disc report better results from the latter.

curtis
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Quinn, the lastest firmware on my P-965 has done a great job with setting my speaker levels...I was quite impressed.

After reading what Eddie Horton was able to do with his BFD, I am very tempted to give EQing the sub a try.

Quinn
03-16-2005, 09:25 AM
That is good to know. I think the technology is in its infancy and will become very good. I don't think of a BFD as the same as auto set-up. It takes some work on the users part to get the best results possible.

BradJudy
03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
There are big differences between using an auto-level set in a receiver or pre/pro and using an auto-EQ function. I think auto level setting is hit or miss depending on the company, but I am yet to hear someone say they liked what a recevier auto-EQ function did to the sound (althought I haven't been specifically reading receiver or pre/pro stuff lately).

curtis
03-16-2005, 10:01 AM
There are big differences between using an auto-level set in a receiver or pre/pro and using an auto-EQ function. I think auto level setting is hit or miss depending on the company, but I am yet to hear someone say they liked what a recevier auto-EQ function did to the sound (althought I haven't been specifically reading receiver or pre/pro stuff lately).
I know there are some that are very happy with AutoEQ. When HTF had their demo out here in Hollywood, the SVS demo room used Ascends. The last night of the show, they were hooked up to a Pioneer 49TX. The owner fo the Pioneer was quite proud of the MCACC feature, so we did a quick A/B. I wasn't ecstatic with the results, but he liked it....then again...it wasn't a night/day difference.

That is good to know. I think the technology is in its infancy and will become very good. I don't think of a BFD as the same as auto set-up. It takes some work on the users part to get the best results possible.
Yeah...BFD does take work, which is why I have been holding off. But everyone that I have talked to says that EQing the sub has great benefits, so for $100, I think I might go for it. I'll also spring for TrueRTA as well. If I do it, I also hope to learn some things along the way.