PDA

View Full Version : In ceiling speakers to match ascends?

Budman
10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
I am also looking for ceiling speakers to match a CBM-170/340 (L,R,C) setup. Any insight appreciated.

Brian

Derek
10-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone in this quest! Some of the ceiling speakers I've been looking at are nht's cs6.3's and home theater direct's al-r65's. Both of these speakers have 6.5" woofers. The really cool thing about the cs6.3 is they have 3 tweeters. A lot of people seem to recommend the cs6.3 at htf and avs. Definitive tech also has some nice in-ceiling speakers.

Since a lot of speakers in this size have basically the same cutout, I think what I'll probably do is just buy a bunch of different ones and use the one that match the best. However I won't be able to experiment with these speakers for at least a year.

Derek

Budman
11-14-2003, 05:18 PM
I'm still on the lookout for someone with knowledge of CBM-170's paired w/ ceiling mount speakers. Please help if you can.

curtis
11-15-2003, 12:29 AM
I am not familiar with any inwall speaker, but judging by the sound that ACI tries to achieve with their speakers, the inwalls that they offer may be something to look into.

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/BFlat/bflat.htm

-curtis

Derek
11-15-2003, 02:31 AM
I'm still looking for in-ceiling speakers. I saw the aci in-ceilings, and they look attractive, especially for the price. I am also looking at proficient audio's lcr series in-ceilings. Check them out:

http://www.proficientaudio.com/lcr_main.html

I think they are the same as speakercraft, but much cheaper.

Oh well. Still another 8+ months until the new house is done. I sure wish it was sooner, though. [:(]

Brian Bunge
11-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Derek,

Since you've still got time, assuming you haven't bought anything yet, I'd say give the ACI in-walls a shot. I'm using the 8" coax versions. I've had numerous mains since I'm always building something new and I think they work very well. My dad and my brother-in-law have had great results with them as well.

Brian Bunge
Rutledge Audio Design

Derek
12-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Good to know.

Thanks Brian!

Budman
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Ok guys,

I guess I'd like to re-hash this topic one last time because I will be purchasing some ceiling speakers in the next week or so.
Going with the advise from this and other forums I have tentatively selected either the 6.5" or 8" ACI Chambered speakers (http://www.audioc.com/speakers/BFlat/bflat.htm). The price point if great and they seem to have a good reputation. At only $10 per pair more than the 6.5" I could have the 8" ACI's. However, I'm not sure if that would be too much speaker for just rear surrounds. Maybe I'll use the 6.5" models for the rear surround and the 8" speakers for the Multi-room stereo speakers. In short I'm undecided between the 6.5" and the 8"...your comments and suggestions please.

Quinn
06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Call ACI and talk to Mike D. about it he won't steer you wrong. A good friend has the 8" chambered with his Emerald on-walls and Protege CC. The 8 inchers do surround duty nicely in his set up. I don't think it would be overkill. You don't say how big your room is.

MRose
06-15-2004, 03:01 AM
I have a set of the ACI round 6.5 inchers sitting in a box waiting to go into my attic theater. I'm using the term "theater" very loosely as it is roughly the about the same as a good sized cave (25'x9' with ceilings sloped from 7.5' to 3'). I'm waiting on the finish sanding of the floors before I put the surrounds in (too much dust otherwise) which should happen as soon as I can divine the whereabouts of my carpenter guy. I'm anxious to listen to this setup with my cbm-170's and will report as soon as I listen to them.

Derek
06-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Wow, this is an old thread! I am getting much closer to needing the in-ceiling speakers for my system. It has been a long, long process!

Budman,

For ht use with the x-over set at 80, I'm not sure you would notice a difference between the 6.5" and 8" speaker. However for audio use, I would think you would want the bigger speaker. Another thing I noticed about the two though, is that the 8" has a 1" tweeter and this may (I'm guessing here) match the ascends a little more closely. Unfortunately these type of speakers are very hard to audition... [:(]

I am leaning towards chambered speakers due to the construction of my ceiling. The floor joists are not solid wood, they used open trusses and I don't want the sound to travel all throughout the house.

Please let use know what you decide.

Derek