PDA

View Full Version : Power conditioners...how much of a difference?

Eddie
03-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I was curious if anybody here uses power conditioners...if yes which one (make/model/cost) and how much of a difference do you hear with them?

I mean, is this comparable to people claiming to hear a big difference with exotic cables or is there more scientific substance behind it? Are there certain areas of the country, or certain types of housing/neighborhoods which have a greater need for a p-c?

Quinn mentioned hearing a difference using a cheap eBay one with his digital JVC receiver; I just have an analog Marantz (5400).

curtis
03-11-2005, 10:15 PM
I have an older version of one of these:
http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=228

I did not notice any change in audio...but video did seem to get nicer.

Quinn
03-12-2005, 07:09 AM
I hear no difference now with the Audio Refinement Complete that I replaced the JVC with.

Eddie
03-12-2005, 07:11 AM
I was looking at this one, but for that price I want to make sure it's going to make a significant difference:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10374653&SearchEngine=PriceGrabber&SearchTerm=10374653&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=15890

Supposedly Belkin is known for good power-management type equipment...

If the p-c is unnecessary I'll just get this for surge protection and backup:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10372172&SearchEngine=PriceGrabber&SearchTerm=10372172&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=15890

Eddie
03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
I hear no difference now with the Audio Refinement Complete that I replaced the JVC with.

I imagine the ARC has such high-quality electrical components that it probably doesn't need a power conditioner...whew that must be a nice setup, though I quite enjoyed your old JVC.

Do you hear a big improvement over the JVC? I remember you said the JVC was a bit "dry and analytical."

BillS
03-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Eddie,

I have a Monster HTPS-7000 Power Conditioner. I paid $800 for it and I am very happy so far. I run my Denon AVR-5700 Receiver and several pieces of audio and video gear through it and I must say, picture and audio was noticebly improved. As I live in Central Florida, surge supression is very important to me as we have frequent lightning strikes and storms. There is ongoing debate on the net about the value and necessity of Power Conditioners for Home Theater application. For me, I have piece of mind and enhanced audio and video to enjoy.....

Just my 2 cents, of course, your mileage may vary.

Bill

Eddie
03-12-2005, 10:22 PM
$800, ouch!!! I was hesitating at spending 1/8th that much, LOL.

So you think specific climate conditions is one of the main reasons for getting a p-c? I don't think we get that many electrical storms here in the Houston area, maybe someone will correct me on that... But isn't that what a surge suppressor and battery backup is for?

BillS
03-13-2005, 07:10 PM
This hobby is not for the faint of heart. Good HT equipment deserves to be protected if conditions warrant. That said, I could have opted for a much cheaper alternative but I believe I did the right thing for me and I have been happy every since. The Monster HTPS 7000 is built like a "Tank" (weighs 45 pounds) and I'm confident that I will be keeping it for decades to come. When I compute the amortization over such a prolonged period of time, this thing really costs next to nothing. If you can get past the initial purchase price, its down hill from there.

As a side note, I work for United Space Alliance, LLC. which is headquarted in Houston, infact, my immediate Manager is located there. I've traveled there on business many times and enjoy the area very much, but I personally prefer Central Florida (I've been offered to relocate to Houston on more than one occasion). Weather is almost exactly the same between the two locations (we often get your weather 1 to 2 days later).

Eddie
03-14-2005, 05:40 AM
> Good HT equipment deserves to be protected if conditions warrant.

Huh? I thought the purpose of a power conditioner was to improve sound and video performance by "conditioning" the current, whereas a surge protector/backup is used to protect against power outages and lightning strikes? Though I suppose if you're forking out $800 it darn better do both things very well...

> I personally prefer Central Florida

I probably would too---I'm sure your Atlantic coast is a heck of a lot prettier than the rank mudhole we have here, otherwise known as Galveston. :(

Quinn
03-14-2005, 09:18 AM
If you own your own home have an electrician install a whole house surge protector at the fuse box. Should be around $200.

Eddie- 288 south to Freeport and Surfside is much nicer than Galveston. Of course you'll still have the Texas brown water from the sand off the sand bars.

BillS
03-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Eddie,

One other important feature of the HTPS-7000 is "Balanced Power" which in non-technical terms means improved (noise free) electricty to the components (except for High Current items). It splits 120 volts into 60 volts positive and 60 volts negative thereby cancelling noise and eliminates "dirty" electricity. I concur with your point of view about power conditioners and their function as well as surge supression. In my opinion, the HTPS does both very effectively. If I did not live in the "Lightning Capital" of the country, I might not have been able to completely justify the cost to myself. I never considered Quinn's suggestion but in retrospect, this would have been a cost effective way to protect against electrical surges. As I don't suffer from "Upgrade-ites", My HT strategy has been to purchase the best quality I could afford and hold on to it for a very long time. I know others might plan differently, but so far, I'm very happy with what I have and anticipate enjoying it for many years to come.

Bill

cestlavie
03-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Hey guys,

I don't think I have found a forum anywhere else that has a collection of people who inherently already think similarly to how I think, which I think is basically cost efficiency to product, and haven't seen anyone yet bragging about their 20k wires or something like that.

But anyways, in another buying predicament.
Like the first poster, I am looking into power conditioners by the second most hated brand in the audio world next to b**e, monster (it's ok I don't censor it I hope, a lot of you guys probably use monster cables, you don't have to fess up). But anyways, I was looking into the low end power conditioners. I was looking at Quinn's suggestion of having an electrician do the house, well that's not an option for me, I'm young, about to hit the business world, and don't have a primary residence as of yet. I would need something mobile, and also, I'm not sure, but supposedly power conditioning helps video/audio quality, though testimonials vary.

I can get roughly 60% off retail, and I am within a budget, say...200 at the max with the 60% Any suggestions? I was looking at the cheapest one the HTS2500 MKII, since reading through most of these guys, they seem to be sales gimmicks more or less since none of the clean power stages are explained. I live in So. Cal and will probably continue to do so, and don't need the surge as much, but the power conditioning is intriguing, and I've heard good things about monster power conditioners.

Thanks in advance, great advice so far,
Sing
Waitin on my ascends, comin this thursday.

Quinn
03-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Look at OneAC or Powervar off ebay even with 60% off M@$*#^ those two are likely better deals. But look at shipping those things are heavy!

cestlavie
03-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Dang...no kidding, medical grade equipment for 1/5 of the price of what I can get M****** for.

Thanks for the tips Quinn, do you use this stuff yourself?