PDA

View Full Version : Receiver/Pre-Amp Output

bri1270
03-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I have a question about the output/impedence of a receiver/pre. It looks like the typical input sensitivity for an amp is near or around 1V. My receiver audio output is listed at 335mV with an impedence of 2.2k Ohms. I called Pioneer for some clarification, and all they could tell me was that the volume acted as a tenuator, and that they could not clarify the 335mV specification. Given the fact that it seems to be working fine with my B&K 5125 (input sensitivity of 1V, impedence of 33.2k Ohms) I should be okay. But my question is, what the hell does all of this mean? like I said, it seems to work fine, but I would have thought it shouldn't based on the specs of each component. Imean the Pioneer is only putting out 1/3 of a volt.

As you can tell, I'm not the most technical person...Yet.

And I'm an idiot for putting this in the wrong forum category. Sorry about that.

davef
03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi Bri1270,

Input sensitivity, when referring to an amp, is usually defined as the input level in volts required to produce the minimum or maximum amount of output wattage the amp is capable of. With an input sensitivity rating of 1V, B&K is stating that it takes 1V of input to produce the maximum output of the amp.

Regarding the audio output portion of your Pioneer, I would suspect the 335mV rating is an average rating. What Pioneer told you is true, the output voltage will vary because the volume control is an attenuator.

I do understand your concern, if your receiver's pre-amp outputs are not capable or producing at least 1V output, your amp will never reach its maximum output (not that you would want or need to). If this concerns you, purchase an inexpensive voltmeter and measure the output. It is the only way to be sure...

bri1270
03-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Thanks Dave. I have a volt meter, I guess I'll have to check it out. I have to be honest, had I not read the manual I probably wouldn't have even noticed, because it sounds great. I guess my concern was that I wasn't realizing the true potential of the amp, but I have to admit that it will play at volumes far beyond my audible tolerances.