PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170 Stands

Quinn
09-30-2003, 02:48 AM
In concession to WAF I've got Paradigm Atoms(rear-ported and wall-mounted) in white as my rear surrounds. I have no problems with the match. If I go to a surround music format(DVD-A or SACD) it might become an issue. I've got the Ascend offered stands and my wife doesn't have any problem with'em. You can use any stand that appeals to your taste. Any of those receivers should be a nice choice. I haven't heard any reports of sound being degraded with using the wall brackets Ascend sells for the 170s. I should be able to give a first hand account later this week as I'm wall mounting a pair in the kid's playroom.

edit- Welcome to the forum marko.

michaeld
09-30-2003, 02:51 AM
I ran into this issue several years ago putting a rear-ported sub up against a wall. I did some research and read somewhere (I think on Cerwin-Vegas' site, IIRC) that as a minimum, the sub/speaker should be placed the same number of inches from a wall as the diameter of it's largest port.

I.E. 4" away from the wall for rear-firing 4" ports. The 170s have a 1" port, right? It looks like the wall brackets hold the speaker about 3-4" away...should be just fine.

Derek
09-30-2003, 05:50 AM
I just went through this with my wall mounted surrounds. I originally wanted 170's for surrounds, but Dave steered me away from the 170's to the 200's because they are sealed. Now that I have seen the 170's in person, I am glad he made this suggestion. The 170's are kind of deep, so I think they would look a little overwhelming when mounted on the wall.

I also bought a pair of omnimount-20's for the 200's. I installed one of the 200's on the omnimount and didn't like the way it looked. I ended up installing the slotted brackets from my old surround speakers on the backs of the 200's. These have keyhole slots that allow the speaker to hang from a screw. The result is a surface mounted speaker. In my situation, it looks much better.

Anyone interested in a pair of brand new (one was never opened) omnimount 20's? [:D]

Hope this helps,
Derek