PDA

View Full Version : Now for a Technical Question

bri1270
03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
If I were to buy the 340's and wall mount them using a heavy duty adjustable wall mount (so they won't be flush to the wall; something similar to what Ascend sells for the 170, but these hold about 45 pounds, and use a "clamping" method to secure the spaeker), and cut the crossover at 80hz via my receiver, would the distance to the wall matter with regard to the rear port since bass won't really be an issue? I saw in another thread that Dave said there should be about 12" behind a 340, but with my current mounts, there's only about 6".

Thanks Again

And this will be the determining factor as to whether I get the 170's or 340's. Although I'd love to be able to mount and really crank up some 340's, I don't want to sacrifice the quality of sound for size.

...almost there...(stay on target), almost there (stay on target)...

Lou-the-dog
03-08-2005, 09:17 AM
6" would be a less than ideal but with my tin ear I'm not sure I could tell much diff between 6" or 12". DaveF has always recomended we give the 340's more breathing room.

Randy

bri1270
03-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I realize that more space is better, but if you're not pumping that much air with low frequencies, will the six inches make that much of a difference? What I'm trying to achieve with my mains and center is good clean mids and highs that I can really crank, and let my subs manage the lows.

ClutchBrake
03-08-2005, 12:54 PM
When helping me decide how I could mount my 340 rears the setup davef recommended provided 3.5-4" between port and wall. Given that I'd say 6" is A-OK.

curtis
03-08-2005, 12:56 PM
I think it also matters if it is parallel to the wall or angled.

bri1270
03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
There is a slight downward and inward angle towards the listening position. I would say 10-12 degrees from paralell and 7-10 from perpendicular.

bri1270
03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey Clutch, I think I read the thread you're referring to, and wasn't Dave saying that it would be okay to do that with a 340c positioned horizontally?

curtis
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
There is a slight downward and inward angle towards the listening position. I would say 10-12 degrees from paralell and 7-10 from perpendicular.

Its been a while since I had geometry....but that doesn't read right. Then again...I never liked word problems. :D

Mag_Neato
03-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I just tried to lay that out on AutoCAD......and my computor shut down! :eek:

Eddie Horton
03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I think you'd be fine with 6.

ClutchBrake
03-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Hey Clutch, I think I read the thread you're referring to, and wasn't Dave saying that it would be okay to do that with a 340c positioned horizontally?

Don't remember the thread, even if it was one of mine. :) I was referring to my e-mail and phone correspondence with Dave. And yes, my situation was horizontal placement.

If I were you I'd just give Dave a call. He was wonderfully helpful and didn't seem to mind in the least that I called him directly.

bri1270
03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Looks like I have to give you guys a lesson in "New Math."

If the back of my speaker was paralell to the wall, then the inward (vertical) angle is 10-12 degrees down towards the listening position. My second reference to perpendicular was definitely wrong, but if the speaker was again paralell, then the inward (horizontal) angle is about 7-10 degrees towards the listening position.

This probably doesn't help much. Math never was a strong point, but check out my punctuation...

Besides I sell stuff to PHd's, scientists, and physicists, I don't need math. (just kidding).

Clutch, thanks, I guess I will give them a call.

bri1270
03-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Okay, I just talked with Dave. He confirmed my hypothesis. If I crossover at 80hz, then the speaker won't be pushing as much air, thus the space required by the rear port to properly vent and not sound boomy will be decreased. So, I should be okay with the 340's at 80hz with 6" behind them...wooohoooo...here I go. I have to make some angular adjustments with my speaker mounts, but nothing major.

And, in case Dave does read this post, the 170 was the #3 speaker on Audioreview.com top 200 products list behind the B&W DM602 S3 (which rated 4.77 with 43 reviews), and the Magnepan MM3 (which rated 4.68 with 236 reviews), followed by the 170's (which rated 4.94 with 80 reviews). Personally I think that should make them the number 1 speaker, but what do I know?

I will also add that Dave was exceptionally helpful and outgoing, and seemed to be very happy to help. (I say seemed because I tend to go on and on at times, and I'm sure we could have ended our conversation after 10 minutes, but he continued to let me ramble for another 5 or so without becoming obviously irritated) I have to say that good customer service can, at times, reach beyond the product. I'll also add; if these speakers are as good as I am anticipating them to be, then Ascend has a customer for as long as I have home audio equipment.

Thanks to everyone for their input/advice. I'm looking forward to giving you all my thoughts on the 340's.

Brian