PDA

View Full Version : Center channel placement

jimsiff
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey, I just ordered a 340C to complement my 340 mains and VTF3. I don't have a TV stand right now. I returned the Tech Craft I was using because small children and open shelves don't mix. My Sammy HLP-5663 is on a coffee table until I figure this out. I'm struggling with center channel placement. I have two options.

1) Get a stand (probably custom) with a large enough center section to hold the 340C. In that configuration, the center channel would sit about 1' off the ground just below the TV. I would have the stand built with an open back for the center section to allow the port to breathe properly. Would imaging suffer considerably with the speaker that low?

2) Figure out a way to mount the center channel on a wall mounted shelf above the TV, far enough out so the speaker wouldn't be behind the screen. I've seen various ideas on AVS for this, but my current living/HT room sucks. Putting a shelf on the wall that gets the speaker far enough out would be difficult. I could do it with a TV mount, but the WAF factor may negate this idea.

I can't do a short stand in front of the TV. I have 3 small children that would love to play with the speaker. I'm more concerned about SQ than asthetics, but I have to balance that with the WAF factor. She doesn't understand my concern and feels any place will do.

Help!!! :D

curtis
03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Jim...I feel for you....

I think either one could work well.

One thing to think about with it being close to the floor is possible obstructions between it and the listening area. Also...1 foot my be a little close to the floor, in which case you might get unwanted reflections.

I would also think about angling the center speaker toward the listening area as well when above or below the TV.

jimsiff
03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Curtis, how did you mount your 340C? I remember seeing some pictures of your setup some time ago. Do you still have them available online?

curtis
03-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I was lucky.....my new new TV has an optional shelf on the top. I understand some of the Sammy's have this as well.

http://www.thechangs.us/clean.JPG

jimsiff
03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm going to hijack my own thread and ask... how do you like your Newcastle P-965? What are you using for amps?

I ended up with a Pioneer VSX-54TX receiver because I couldn't afford to go with separates. I think the 54tx will be a decent pre/pro for awhile when I decide to upgrade to outboard amps.

curtis
03-01-2005, 12:43 PM
are you allowed to hijack your own thread? :)

I love my P-965. I use it with ATI 1502 and 1505 amps that I purchased used. I think the setup sounds great. You can see the amps to the left and right of the P-965.

I would like to try different amps, but that will have to wait until I have more disposable income and different priorities. A higher end two or three channel amp maybe, or nice 7 channel amp.

Before the P-965 I had a HK 525....then I added the ATI 1505 amp, then the 1502, and finally the P-965.

Nicholas Mosher
03-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I have the opposite problem. I decided that sound was more important than picture, so I went with 5 CBM-170s mounted on 30" stands. This means I'll have to go with either front projection or flat panel plasma/lcd. With the shape of my room, the projector would be mounted 3' above my head, and only 2' behind me. I'm worried the fan will be audible. Therefore I'm thinking of going with a 42" 480p Plasma. They go for around $2.5k now from companies like LG.

As far as your setup goes, most people I've seen put their centers on top of their tvs like Curtis did. I'd be worried about placing the speaker "in" another box like an entertainment center.

Good Luck!

jimsiff
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Nicholas,

Thanks for the response. I agree that putting the speaker in an entertainment center is questionable. From what I've read, above the TV is better in most cases, and I'm leaning towards using a Sanus TV wall mount. (https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=products/wallmount/milano/MH20b.html&cart_id=3427643_1286) It's not the prettiest design, but it gives me up to 31" separation from the back wall. It's a hinged design, so I should be able to adjust it closer or farther from the wall. That should allow me to get the front of the speaker at or just in front of the TV with no problem.

Best of all, the concept of a TV mount for the center channel seems to have passed the WAF test. Now I have to get approval for this model. :D

Kpt_Krunch
03-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Jim - I have my 340 center about a foot off the ground on a glass shelf below by TV. I have the center sitting on foam with thicker foam at the front (about 2 inches high in front, 1/2 inch behind it) to angle it towards the listening area (about 12 feet back).

No problems here at all - the dialogue for movie and vocals for music (when listening to a multi-channel SACD or DVD-A) sounds wonderful. From what I understand, the 340C has a special Exbac crossover that compensates for arrangements above or below a Video screen to make up for the not so perfect placement, and IMO it works extremely well!

picasso
03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I think we all run into this sooner or later. My original setup with a CRT TV had the center channel laying on top of the TV. Upgraded to a 42in plasma and mounted the center channel directly in front of the plasma on the same shelf the TV rested. I had no other choice at the time. Although it sounded fine, the remote sensor on the TV was blocked by the speaker. Minor inconvenience since the remote is only needed for on/off and switching inputs. Everything thing else goes throught the cable box and the receiver. Finally cleared out the underneath shelf of the wooden TV stand and tried the center channel there. It's angled upward towards the listening area and only six inches off the ground. I couldn't be more pleased. The extra bottom end effect from such an enclosure is exactly what most broadcast TV dialogue needs. If nothing else, try it and see for yourself.