PDA

View Full Version : 340 Mains with 170 Center?

Matt B
03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I received my CBM-170 mains, CBM-170 center, and Hsu STF-2 last week, and I must say that I am *extremely* impressed. I'm so impressed, that I've decided to purchase two more speakers to complete an Ascend 5.1 system. (My current surrounds (an old pair of NHT SuperZeros) sound a bit thin compared to the CBM-170s.) So I'm thinking about

getting another pair of CBM-170s for my surrounds.
getting a pair of CTM-340s for my mains and moving my current CBM-170 mains to surround duty.

Here's the rub: my unforgiving entertainment center won't fit a 340 center, so I *must* keep the 170 center. Does anyone on the forum use 340 mains with a 170 center? Also, can anyone comment on the advantages of the 340s over the 170s? Or the advantages of the 170s over the 340s?

My listening room is 12W X 28L X 10H. But it's a Philadelphia row house, so I tend to keep my volume moderate so as not to disturb my neighbors. Given this habit, would 340 mains be overkill? What advantages do 340s have over 170s at lower volumes? And, of course, vice versa?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Best regards,
Matt

curtis
03-01-2005, 09:56 AM
As you turn the volume down, the differences in speakers get less discernable, but I would think the differences between the two Ascends would still hold true.

In your situation, I think I would be inclined to go with all CBM-170's....maybe even 7 of them.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong. Give the Ascend guys a call and discuss.

Mag_Neato
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree with Curtis....

stick with the 170's! Why add different speakers to the mix? You will have the best possible sonic balance with identical speakers.

If I had not already owned a decent center speaker(B&W 600 series), I would have gone for the 340c because it is a "traditional" center channel(i.e. it is horizontal). Since you are restricted in the size of your center channel, take advantage of the situation. :)

Matt B
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your reply, Curtis.

Give the Ascend guys a call and discuss.

I did e-mail David Fabrikant from Ascend, and he said that 340 mains would mix well with a 170 center. But I just wondered if anyone uses such a setup.

As you turn the volume down, the differences in speakers get less discernible, but I would think the differences between the two Ascends would still hold true.

How would you characterize the differences between the 170 and the 340? Does the 340 approach the neutral sound of the 170? And if I decide to purchase 340s, could I use them for 2-channel listening without my subwoofer?

Of course, the 170s are quite a bit cheaper (and I wouldn't need to purchase stands for them), so the 340s would need to be significantly better (for my purposes) to justify the cost.

Thanks again,
Matt

curtis
03-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh...there is no doubt the 340 mains would work well with the 170 center.....all of the Ascends speakers work well together.

The 170's are bit more neutral, the 340's more dynamic with more lower end and can play louder as well.

I recently turned off my sub on accident and had my 340's playing fullrange....sounded great!

Matt B
03-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Since you are restricted in the size of your center channel, take advantage of the situation.

Thanks, Mag_Neato. It's always nice to hear that a limitation can also be an advantage.

The 170's are bit more neutral, the 340's more dynamic with more lower end and can play louder as well.

So if I really enjoy the neutrality of the 170s, 170s all around would probably be the best choice for me at this time.

Thanks again,
Matt