PDA

View Full Version : having trouble letting go

jeh
02-26-2005, 12:48 AM
i'm going through my first major upgrade of everything and instead of selling off my old gear i'm thinking of ways to utilize it. for example: i want to use my old receiver to power a couple bass shakers attached to my couch, and use my old rear surrounds to try the "presence" channel on my new yamaha.

my first thought was to offer my old gear to friends or family at a good price, but i can't seem to let go. am i being stingey?

Eddie Horton
02-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Nah, you aren't being stingy. You're what us 12 step recovery folks call "caught up in the grip" of a new addiction. The kid in the candy store syndrome.

bikeman
02-26-2005, 07:28 AM
my first thought was to offer my old gear to friends or family at a good price, but i can't seem to let go. am i being stingey?

Everything I'm replacing is finding a new home in my home. My old speakers, DVD player and VCR are now in my study. My old receiver is now in the basement. I do give stuff away if I can't find a use for it but with audio gear, I can always find a use for it.

David

Eddie Horton
02-26-2005, 10:36 AM
On second thought, you are being stingy. Please send me all your old stuff. I'm sure that'll make you feel better.

Dave G
02-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Keep that old stuff -- you never know when you might need it. I've been prepping and re-painting our basement the past couple of weeks. The old equipment we replaced when we got our Ascends (a pair of B&W DM10s and a Mitsubishi 30-watt receiver, both from about 1980) has been keeping me company as I move my drop cloth around the large rec room and guest bedroom. They're more than a bit shopworn and not anywhere as good as our current equipment, but they're old friends and much better than working in silence.

Dave

jeh
02-26-2005, 09:59 PM
i tried the presence channels out tonight...i did notice a lot more sound which seemed to come out of the screen but i could still localize the dialogue from the center below the screen. i can't quite figure out how to adjust the dialogue lift, the manual only describes what it does not how to set it. anyone with a yamaha similar to the 5760 know how?

Eddie Horton
02-27-2005, 05:43 AM
I don't have presence speakers connected to my HTR-5790 so I can't confirm this, but check out the section in the manual titled "Editing Sound Field Parameters". It gives a somewhat vague explanation on how to do this. I think it also says that not all DSP modes will have the same adjustability. At the end of the section it lists 7ch stereo, PLIIx and PLII music, PLIIx music movie and game, DTS Neo:6 music, and THX cinema and tells what can be adjusted for these DSP modes.
I've always thought the manual for this receiver left a lot to be desired, but go to that section and start playing around with it. If you screw something up, there's an option in the manual setup menu called "param.ini" that can be used to reset them back to factory defaults. If you have any other trouble, you can PM me or shoot me an e-mail and I'll do my best to help. Personally, I've never changed any of the values of the DSP's on my 5790 and don't use very many of them.