PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ascend Speakers

debron
02-16-2005, 10:06 PM
This may be a dumb question, but is it possible (practical) to paint Ascend speakers? I have two black 170's for the rear surround I need to mount on the rear wall, but they will stand out like a sore thumb unless I can paint them (or do something) to match the wall.

curtis
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Instead of painting what you have, you might want to call Ascend and inquire about bare MDF cabinets that you can finish to your liking.

bamputin
02-17-2005, 01:33 AM
if you were to paint straight over the black finish, you'd probably prime then paint. i'm not sure at all how (any) primer would 'stick' to the finish. if you know how to sand things back a little, i'd do that, then prime, then paint.

or you could buy two plain mdf 170's :)

jamesg
02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Call me at 310-719-9786 to inquire about unfinished MDF cabinets. We could do a trade-in on your black matte pair, or you might test the open market. In my absence (tomorrow, Friday Feb. 18th) you may speak to any of our associates.

I strongly recommend NOT painting the vinyl unless you are willing to risk a ruined finish when you're done. The unfinished MDF is very absorbent and requires a minimum of three coats plus top clear coat, but it is infinitely preferable to painting vinyl. Turnaround time--however long it takes you to finish painting. Cost--same as black matte vinyl.

davef
02-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Just a minor correction here...

The unfinished MDF is very absorbent and requires a minimum of three coats plus top clear coat

The custom paint shop we use follows this procedure and the result is truly beautiful.. However, one coat of a quality primer and 1-2 coats of a decent paint (brushed on or sprayed) will give very good results.

A clear coat is certainly not required unless you want to acheive a gloss finish. If you are matching the paint on your walls, I would not recommend clear coat finishing.

Hope this helps!

debron
02-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks James. I'll probably call you, if not tomorrow, then next week. Bare MDF might be the way to go.

Two of my four new 170's are still in the box, unopened as I bought the speakers for the house we're building. Of course I couldn't wait three months to at least try them out with the Hsu subwoofer!

BradJudy
02-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I'll add my painting advice (having done it myself). If you don't want the seams between MDF pieces to show, you're going to have to use some wood filler or bondo and do some sanding. I thought I had done enough, but the seams were still visible.

jamesg
02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
My own personal preference is all. Having seen the gloss finish with a clear coat, it is truly a sight to behold....

Kris
02-19-2005, 09:54 AM
How much do the custom finishes run? I think Im going to be ordering a set in a high gloss piano black if its available. :D

Shrubman
03-19-2005, 12:47 PM
How much do the custom finishes run? I think Im going to be ordering a set in a high gloss piano black if its available. :D

Has this been answered anywhere?

curtis
03-19-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't think there is a definitive answer since they are truely custom finishes.

davef
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Kris,

Curtis has it right... Since these are truly custom finishes, pricing varies per type of finish (gloss, semi-gloss), color and additives (metallic, pearlized etc.).

Our paint shop also has the ability to computer match colors..

Send me an email of what you are interested in and we would be happy to offer a quote.

Take care!