PDA

View Full Version : do you use your television speakers?

jeh
02-10-2005, 07:33 PM
my tv speakers are always turned off and i have all sound going through my ascends.

bikeman
02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
For the most part, I route the sound through the receiver but if I'm just listening to the weather, I'll just leave the TV speakers on.

David

curtis
02-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Sometimes...but it is rare.

Kpt_Krunch
02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Never in the H/T room - everything is wired through my receiver! As for my upstairs family room, only when watching a VCR tape of a TV show (don't have my VCR in through the receiver upstairs).

BradJudy
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out - I always listen using the TV speakers when watching television programming unless there's something special. Naturally, DVDs and CDs go through the system.

Cliff_L
02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm with ^-------^ BradJudy. While watching regular TV shows, I usually just use the TV speakers, unless it's something in the musical genre (Grammys, etc). DVDs/CDs are always through my receiver. The reasoning may be that I just have regular antenna TV reception too - I reserve the best, pure digital signal for my receiver. ;)

Lou-the-dog
02-11-2005, 06:06 AM
Same as Brad and Cliff. With a 2 and 3 year old at home the TV is essentially on most of the day. No use burning up my good gear for SpongeBob.

Randy

Quinn
02-11-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm the opposite. Kids programs are bad enough compound that with terrible sound from the tv speaker and I can't take it. Always thru the HT.

Derek
02-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Same as Brad, Cliff and Randy. For analog tv, is use the tvs speakers. For hdtv or dvds, I use the receiver and the ascends.

picasso
02-11-2005, 07:40 AM
TV speakers are always turned off.

Expensive gear should be used.

jermy4
02-11-2005, 08:09 AM
TV speakers are always turned off.

Expensive gear should be used.
I 2nd that!

bikeman
02-11-2005, 08:22 AM
"Expensive gear should be used."

I don't have any expensive gear. I bought Ascend's. :D :D

David

Mag_Neato
02-11-2005, 09:05 AM
LOL! I have Ascends and Outlaw......nothing expensive here either!

Back on topic....I only use the "system" when listening to music(obviously!) or watching DVD's or VHS tapes. My wife prefers the TV only for broadcast shows, and the kid's shows do not need to sound any better. My tv has "Hyper-surround" simulated surround.....works fine for regular cable.

Eddie Horton
02-11-2005, 10:48 AM
The speakers on my 51" Sony were immediately turned off and have stayed that way. We have 3 other TV's in the house, but none of them have a system attached, so they are used.

mattepntr
02-11-2005, 04:11 PM
My HT is separate from the den, which gets regular boob-tube duty.

HT has a plasma with no NTSC tuner or speakers.

Den has only cable TV and no receiver.

Rick

davef
02-11-2005, 04:18 PM
For me it all depends on what is on the TV...

"Thomas the Tank Engine" and such is ALWAYS played through the TV speakers, as are my wife's weekly sitcom shows (Raymond and various reality shows)... My shows and movies are always played through the audio system, even late at night...

DavidD
02-11-2005, 04:41 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out - I always listen using the TV speakers when watching television programming unless there's something special. Naturally, DVDs and CDs go through the system.

I guess we're the odd ones out, Brad. Most of the time, TV programming just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble of firing up the system.

DavidD
02-11-2005, 04:43 PM
For me it all depends on what is on the TV...

"Thomas the Tank Engine" and such is ALWAYS played through the TV speakers, as are my wife's weekly sitcom shows (Raymond and various reality shows)... My shows and movies are always played through the audio system, even late at night...

"Tommy Train", as my daughter used to call him. Absolutely. Even late at night, CDs and DVDs go through the system.

curtis
02-11-2005, 04:44 PM
SpongeBob in DPLIIx is pretty interesting.

Dave Nelms
02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
If I am jsut watching the news or some older shows, No real need to watch Columbo in PLII, I just use the TV speakers. If I am going to watch movies or newer shows, I will usually fire up the system.

This set up is purely out of necessity. My wife is very technology impared. It is much easier for her to run the TV normally. There is nothing worse than getting that call at work that's starts with "I cannot hear anything coming out of the TV. What do I do to get it to work?"

mattepntr
02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
SpongeBob in DPLIIx is pretty interesting.

Interesting...yes...

picasso
02-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Dave N:

Get a programmable universal remote that does macros for the unitiated.

I have one macro that turns everything on.

Another macro that first changes my cable box to the smooth jazz station....then turns off the plasma......then changes the surround sound mode to disable the center channel.......then increase the volume up twenty notches.

Another macro is set up for my visiting children use of an Xbox. It changes the input of the TV to one of the component inputs..........changes the surround processor to its proper input.

I set up another macro that reverses the Xbox use back to cable viewing.

Similar macros for DVD player use and it's reversal back to cable viewing.

Didn't bother with VCR macros nor switching to CD player mode. Don't use the VCR often and CD listening is usually when no one else is around.

Works great with kids and new girlfriends....

I use a Universal Remote Control MX500 (not sure if I'm using the right name) but if buying now would buy the MX700. One of the best electronics purchases you'll ever make.

Derek
02-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Dave N:

I use a Universal Remote Control MX500 (not sure if I'm using the right name) but if buying now would buy the MX700. One of the best electronics purchases you'll ever make.

Amen! I have had an mx-500 for a few years and I just got a mx-700. I am still working on programming the 700. It makes life sooooo much easier for me and my wife.

Derek

debron
02-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't even have an audio signal going to my TV, so don't even know if the TV speakers work! Satellite, DVD, VHS, & CD audio and video all go into the Onkyo and one video signal goes to TV. Sound of course, goes to Ascends/Hsu.

With speakers that good, I can't imagine wanting to listen to anything on the TV speakers! But then, 90+% of our TV watching is movies. We rarely watch network TV (too many commercials!), not even the news.

Lee Bailey
02-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Have not used them since I got the TV. Though I did find that they don't use very good shielding. Put up the convergence grid one day, and took out a speaker. That made some foul looking results. I'm tempted to take them all out and see if I can actually converge the set at all.