PDA

View Full Version : AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

theophile
03-27-2021, 02:23 PM
After following the development, bothering Dave with many questions and reading reviews of the Sierra-2EX’s for the past 2 years, I’ve finally stepped away from my beloved Sierra-1 NrT’s of 10 years. Though very satisfied and happy with the NrT’s, as Dave and many others have stated…the Sierra-2EX’s are in a whole ‘nother league! Even the Sierra-2’s that I tried for 30 days didn’t fully accomplish what I wanted in my small dedicated near-field music room. However, the Sierra-2EX has surpassed even My long awaited expectations and more importantly, My Serious OCD ears!!! Many have written of their experiences and opinions on the 2EX with virtually 100% approvals. But if you are new to Ascend Acoustics ID audio speakers, or would simply like to read more glowing positive accolades…read on!

Brief personal background: I’ve studied classical piano for 10 years, have an instrumental music degree, have performed on most wind instruments and strings and have been an “Audiophile” for the past 45 years. I know and appreciate acoustical non-amplified music, with many exposures to LIVE orchestral, choral, keyboard, chamber, small wind ensemble and intimate jazz group performances…in simpler words, I know when reproduced music sounds Real! My recorded musical library includes a wide genre variety of musical taste, but 90% are geared towards acoustic instrumental, vocals and keyboard (including cathedral pipe organ)! For the past 10 years, I’ve developed reference recorded sources that are “high end”, offering me accurate evaluations and repeatability of every step of analysis, listening and performance of components (especially speakers). Okay, I know, this wasn’t very brief…I’ll move on!

The Ascend Acoustic Sierra-2EX: It would be Much easier (and faster) to simply state the negatives of the Sierra 2-EX…er, the only negative (besides waiting for 2 years) would be, They’re Not Free! Okay, that’s too easy, so I’ll start with what they do Well! The best opinion to offer and what my ears “hear” are they present Exactly what is in the recording, good or bad! I can listen for many hours to my great recorded library and never feel fatigued…just highly satisfied to the depths of my soul! They are very detailed and analytical, offering substantial precision and definition while always maintaining accurate musicality and realism!

No doubt (as Dave has stated many times), the Custom RAAL ribbon tweeters are one of the industries’ best transducers…Fast, Clear, Neutral and Precise…Most Natural cymbal, melodic percussion, keyboard and instrumental Tonalities I’ve ever Heard! The whisper of a breath, very low ambient background sounds of the venue, the superb clarity and separation of soloist/background vocals and the brilliant timbre of strings, woodwinds, brass and melodic percussion all come through with natural conviction, authority and realism. With the Custom 2EX Sierra midbass/woofer development (created to keep up with Sierra’s $3.5K Diamond Dome Tweeter in a Custom Sierra 2di configuration), credit Dave for acting on AA memberships’ request to pair this very special (and costly) Custom 6” EX woofer with the small Custom Sierra RAAL tweeter…a Match made in Audio Heaven (including Dave’s brilliant xover Magic)! Visceral impact throughout the bass/midrange is astounding and immersive. I’ve not experienced a S-2EX to RAAL-Tower comparison, but according to others who have, state the S-2EX is closer to the RAAL Towers than to the Sierra S-2…That about says it all!

Some other quick observations from my 100+ hours of listening these past few weeks:

Soundstage - can be HUGE, but depends on the recording. Not only is the center image locked in with perfect size, weight and pinpoint placement, but also easily floats in space between the LR channels and can also extend well beyond the listening setup walls. Again recording and genre dependent, the soundstage can easily extend 5-10ft outside of the side walls, 10-20ft above the 2EX placement and 5-30ft beyond the back listening wall for an Amazing Stereo 3D Presentation (very holographic). This large soundstage places instruments and vocals in their proper place and size with respect to the recorded venue, space and miking techniques. Separation of harmonies, textures and space stays locked in and assist in the 2EX monitors Completely Disappearing…you visually See Speakers, but hear Music, just glorious natural MUSIC!

Balance – The 2EX has powerful, articulate, fast and deep bass (full range, seems to extend flat down to 35Hz in my room) that for most music, could be all you desire. Punch you in the chest is very high, with no boom or hangover ring. Midrange fidelity and clarity are also a huge step-up from the Sierra-1, rendering vocals with new details I've not heard before from my music library! However, I do have the 2EX high passed at 50hz with a very well integrated and musical powered sub low passed at 50hz to cover the bottom 1 ¼ octaves (my preference for orchestral and pipe organ music). Overall, the RAAL blends seamlessly with the EX to create a 1-point source wall of sound that Defies their diminutive size and prowess.

Dynamics – Even though not as efficient as the S1-Nrt or the S-2, the 2EX seems to easily play greater dynamic peaks without Ever sounding harsh, strained or distorted…my SWAG being in the range of 3-5db more listenable volume! This translates into less compression and offers more realistic live performances. Energy and emotional transference of the music’s spirit is a forte of the 2EX, sounding live with involuntary toe-tapping rhythmic involvement and peak jaw dropping surprises. Throughout the full bandwidth, Micro and Macro dynamics are simple superb, translating into equal listener satisfaction, no matter the volume playback chosen! Faithful to the music, delicate soft passages have pristine openness and clarity, then in similar fashion, crescendos take my breath away as I recover from the excitement of the uncompressed moment!

Professional Monitor? – IMHO-YES! The Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2EX's offer a critical and accurate window not only into the music, but also the recorded venue, the medium (mics, mixing, etc.) and the energy and soul of the performers. They add nothing to the presentation but musical truth, thus could easily be declared worthy of professional studio mixing task! But wait, look at the high quality inert laminated bamboo build, possibly the best transducers on the market and fused with high end crossover components…easily worthy of a retail value 4X+ the asking price! How does Dave do it? Don’t know, but decided to pick up this value deal before Ascend goes up on their prices!!!

More descriptives, superlatives or praises…nah, this review is long enough! If you want to hear what I and others hear from the engineers at Ascend Acoustics, get a pair to try for 30-days…believe you’ll find like me, these are Definite Keepers!

Ted

racrawford65
03-29-2021, 07:37 AM
Nice write-up, Ted.
Emotiva USP-1/UPA-1 - nice combo - I used to have same in my office, although sold both some time ago when I took down office set up (now just stream from computer).
No worries about stacking electronics on the sub?
Robert

theophile
03-29-2021, 07:56 AM
Nice write-up, Ted.
Emotiva USP-1/UPA-1 - nice combo - I used to have same in my office, although sold both some time ago when I took down office set up (now just stream from computer).
No worries about stacking electronics on the sub?
Robert

Thanks Robert!

Surprisingly, I’ve no vibration or feedback issues. My listening room is 10ft x 9ft and am able to easily energize my intimate near-field listening space with 106db+ dynamic peaks without clipping, feedback or strain (20hz-28Khz)! The sub cabinet is built with 1" mdf...heavy, but solid and easily supports the weight of the stacked components (these anyway)! A few years ago I was experiencing some resonant RF electrical feedback, but found remediation with much higher quality shielded interconnects!

Ted

racrawford65
03-29-2021, 10:21 AM
thanks, Ted.

Makes me wonder if I could use my Rythmik's as a "shelf", if needed. At least for solid state gear - I'd be hesitant to put my tube stuff on top of one of the subs.

curtis
03-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Makes me wonder if I could use my Rythmik's as a "shelf", if needed. At least for solid state gear - I'd be hesitant to put my tube stuff on top of one of the subs.
I have a lava lamp sitting on my Rythmik F15HP. :)

theophile
03-29-2021, 11:18 AM

Curtis...Does it sound BOOMIE? :rolleyes: :o

racrawford65
03-29-2021, 12:26 PM

Not one of the new Anthems? Although, why am I not surprised about the lava lamp?

Just kidding, Curtis!

curtis
03-29-2021, 01:08 PM
Curtis...Does it sound BOOMIE? :rolleyes: :o
Ha!

Not one of the new Anthems? Although, why am I not surprised about the lava lamp?

Just kidding, Curtis!
LOL!
Audio purchases are on hold until my GF and I settle on and buy a house.

That said, I’m very interested in the new Anthems. I really enjoy my AVM 60. For the new Anthems I’m interested in how Roon will be implemented.

jimlucci
03-29-2021, 01:23 PM
Nice review Ted! I debated between upgrading my existing Sierra1's, buying a fresh set of Sierra2ex's and the Towers - I ended up choosing the Towers only because my listening area is pretty large. I will say that I am extremely happy that I got the RAAL upgrade - those tweeters are magical. Your system looks great - love the pics....Jim

davef
03-30-2021, 03:27 AM
Wonderful review and thank you! So pleased that you are enjoying the Sierra-2EX!!

theophile
03-30-2021, 05:13 AM
Wonderful review and thank you! So pleased that you are enjoying the Sierra-2EX!!

Thank You, Dave, for offering audiophiles a monitor that has such precision in recorded medium playback as to allow music to effortlessly flow to the heart...Bravo!!! :cool:

Ted

racrawford65
03-30-2021, 05:17 AM
Ha!

LOL!
Audio purchases are on hold until my GF and I settle on and buy a house.

That said, I’m very interested in the new Anthems. I really enjoy my AVM 60. For the new Anthems I’m interested in how Roon will be implemented.

I'm interested in the new Anthems, as well. Perhaps the AVM70 to go fully separate or move to the MRX740. Don't need 15 channels. Not as concerned about music since I am picking up a separate preamp for 2 channel. Using the 740, I can power my center, two surrounds, and 4 ATMOS heights and eliminate one amp (currently using the 720 to power center and 2 surrounds and a separate 4 channel for ATMOS). Really like the looks of the new Anthems. But not pulling the trigger anytime soon - upgrading my tonearm first and then will wait until Anthem works out the bugs with Genesis and adds the new HDMI board before considering this upgrade.

theophile
03-30-2021, 05:31 AM
Nice review Ted! I debated between upgrading my existing Sierra1's, buying a fresh set of Sierra2ex's and the Towers - I ended up choosing the Towers only because my listening area is pretty large. I will say that I am extremely happy that I got the RAAL upgrade - those tweeters are magical. Your system looks great - love the pics....Jim

Hi Jim,

Your review of the RAAL-Towers was wonderful. Believe for your 3200cf listening room, you made a perfect choice! I've no doubt Dave's Towers would be extremely competitive with Any in the marketplace today, at Any price! :o

For my 990cf listening room, can't imagine Any 1cf Monitor made that would sound better!!!

IMHO, Ascend Acoustics=Best speaker value on the Planet! :cool:

Ted

theophile
04-10-2021, 06:32 AM
...Makes me wonder if I could use my Rythmik's as a "shelf", if needed. At least for solid state gear - I'd be hesitant to put my tube stuff on top of one of the subs.

Robert,

Bet with the solid cabinet construction of the Rythmik Subs, probably be safe to use the top as a shelf for even tube electronics. If not, maybe a product like These (https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/component-isolation/products/tenderfoot?variant=12643255353399) would guarantee acoustic vibration isolation!

Ted

racrawford65
04-10-2021, 01:25 PM
thanks, Ted. I was able to reorganize my equipment in current entertainment center so no need to use either Rythmik as a shelf.

I've never used any Herbie's products for isolation. I've been using Symposium stuff for several years - was really sold when I put a Segue ISO under my TT and it eliminated all feedback.

petmotel
05-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Very nice review, with your credentials I can't think of a more worthy recommendation. Your descriptions put into words exactly what I hear and what I feel when I listen to my EXs which I have in a dedicated stereo bedroom system. I have no pipe organ music, I really can't see the reason to complicate this particular configuration with a sub, and I truly love and appreciate low bass. Again, awesome review, well said!

Jay

theophile
05-14-2021, 06:30 PM
Very nice review, with your credentials I can't think of a more worthy recommendation. Your descriptions put into words exactly what I hear and what I feel when I listen to my EXs which I have in a dedicated stereo bedroom system. I have no pipe organ music, I really can't see the reason to complicate this particular configuration with a sub, and I truly love and appreciate low bass. Again, awesome review, well said!

Jay

Thanks Jay, appreciate your nice comments! :o

Yep, the Sierra-2EX Are Very Special!! However FWIW, adding a sub provided me with three big advantages:

1. Solid 18Hz performance that gives depth, realism and venue ambiance to most acoustical genre.
2. Expands Midrange clarity due to 6" bass driver relieved from full range reproduction.
3. Greatly increases the Main Power amp headroom (with a >50Hz high pass to the 2EX), thus increased dynamic peaks for all music genre.

IMHO, the audible advantages of a well-integrated musical sub with a 2-way stand-mount monitor is Very Noticeable and Appreciated! Thus, with the Sierra-2EX I first experimented with "full range" (no sub). They simply are amazing as they do provide room energizing sound without breaking a sweat and can easily handle dynamic peaks with finesse and grace! They certainly outperform Anything I've heard these past 45 years (as an audiophile with a music degree) in their price range!!

That said, I then incorporated the 12" 500W Axiom powered sub into the mix. I began at the 80Hz high/low pass settings, but eventually settled on a high pass/low pass of 50Hz. This gave me the best integration, seamless hand-off and low bass tonality, as I took full advantage of the 2EX Seas 6" Curvy woofer/mid-bass prowess and speed! I've greatly increased clean, dynamic, effortless peaks in all my music listening, midrange clarity and definition has certainly expanded. Soundstage has opened up and become even better defined and an energized room of 18Hz to 28KHz wall-of-sound allows the speakers to Totally Disappear and immerse my listening experience with all genre of live, realistic Soul Filling Recorded Music!!!

Love the 2EX full range...I do, but a properly integrated sub can bring some nice additional surprises!! ;)

Ted

curtis
05-14-2021, 06:59 PM
I am in complete agreement on using a properly integrated sub(s) with any system.

petmotel
05-14-2021, 07:50 PM
Ted, you've not written a single thing in this thread I disagree with. I have three different systems with AA speakers, a theater system, a system in a good sized shop building, and a bedroom system. Two of the three have SVS ultras doing exactly as you describe. Maybe down the road I might add a sub to the dedicated stereo system, but it sure ain't a slouch as is!

Jay

theophile
05-18-2021, 05:28 AM
Ted, you've not written a single thing in this thread I disagree with. I have three different systems with AA speakers, a theater system, a system in a good sized shop building, and a bedroom system. Two of the three have SVS ultras doing exactly as you describe. Maybe down the road I might add a sub to the dedicated stereo system, but it sure ain't a slouch as is!

Jay

Thanks Jay...Sounds like you have All your spaces Nicely Covered! ;)

Bet a Rythmik L12 would work perfectly with your S-2EX...might have to try "2" for a 2.2 music room myself!!

FWIW, your 2-04-20 Sierra-2EX review inspired me to get my 2EX in March (the sale also had a little to do with that)...Thanks for your detailed and wonderful write up! :cool:

Ted

theophile
06-13-2021, 03:57 PM
Sierra-2EX...Progress moving forward!!

After my eldest did critical listening to the previous reviewed 2.1 setup (see 1st pic), he noted that the soundstage wasn't as deep and high as the previous S2-NrT listening sessions (I had to agree). The NrT's were tilted back 5 degrees, allowing expansion of the soundstage in my 11ft ceiling, creating a very nice sudo-venue openness and expansion!

However, instead of tilting the 2EX (due to narrower vertical expansion), decided to "finally" relocate the sub cabinet to the left front corner...had to re-tune the sub (LP Crossover to 60hz-Trim to full-Volume reset down to 5-oclock...was at 6-oclock). I dropped (set) the components onto a temporary "mini rack" (step stool-pic #2) and have a nice permanent 4-shelf audio rack on order!!

After all was tuned and complete, The New Sound...well, excuse my Italian, Ho.. Sh..!!! :) WOW! Sub Bass management has returned to my prior setup (was always happy with it), but the 8" lowering of the component stack has created even better focus, image precision, wider soundstage and a Huge Increase in venue depth and height. But more importantly, warmth/detailed/refined/natural Midrange is showing a Beautiful Renaissance! I am hearing details and low level nuances in all of my music that I never heard before...it is truly Amazing to me and a Very Surprising revelation! :o

All I can figure is that the component stack I had on top the subwoofer cabinet was causing 2nd reflections and cancellations that diluted the EX mid-woofer Midrange prowess capability?!? Although it was sounding great before the changes, the 2EX has taken a giant leap forward in realistic, live sound presentation that consistently leaves me short of breath and yearning/needing to re-hear my large music genre CD collection!!:cool:

Who'd a thunk it! Now to re-spin my 400+ CD's!!!! :D

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/GTKwJGC1/IMG-7930.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GTKwJGC1) https://i.postimg.cc/dZ0SFdGn/IMG-7985.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dZ0SFdGn) https://i.postimg.cc/9wtX66ty/IMG-7983.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9wtX66ty)

Mag_Neato
06-14-2021, 04:35 AM
Sierra-2EX...Progress moving forward!!

After my eldest did critical listening to the previous reviewed 2.1 setup (see 1st pick), he noted that the soundstage wasn't as deep and high as the previous S2-NrT listening sessions (I had to agree). The NrT's were tilted back 5 degrees, allowing expansion of the soundstage in my 11ft ceiling, creating a very nice sudo-venue openness and expansion!

However, instead of tilting the 2EX (due to narrower vertical expansion), decided to "finally" relocate the sub cabinet to the left front corner...had to re-tune the sub (LP Crossover to 60hz-Trim to full-Volume reset down to 5-oclock...was at 6-oclock). I dropped (set) the components onto a temporary "mini rack" (step stool-pic#2) and have a nice permanent 4-shelf audio rack on order!!

After all was tuned and complete, The New Sound...well, excuse my Italian, Ho.. Sh..!!! :) WOW! Sub Bass management has returned to my prior setup (was always happy with it), but the 8" lowering of the component stack has created even better focus, image precision, wider soundstage and a Huge Increase in venue depth and height. But more importantly, warmth/detailed/refined/natural Midrange is showing a Beautiful Renaissance! I am hearing details and low level nuances in all of my music that I never heard before...it is truly Amazing to me and a Very Surprising revelation! :o

All I can figure is that the component stack I had on top the subwoofer cabinet was causing 2nd reflections and cancellations that diluted the EX mid-woofer Midrange prowess capability?!? Although it was sounding great before the changes, the 2EX has taken a giant leap forward in realistic, live sound presentation that consistently leaves me short of breath and yearning/needing to re-hear my large music genre CD collection!!:cool:

Who'd a thunk it! Now to re-spin my 400+ CD's!!!! :D

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/GTKwJGC1/IMG-7930.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GTKwJGC1) https://i.postimg.cc/dZ0SFdGn/IMG-7985.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dZ0SFdGn) https://i.postimg.cc/9wtX66ty/IMG-7983.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9wtX66ty)

Good deal! I had those WoodTech/MetalTech stands for my speakers...... 30" tall model, before getting my 26" tall Sanus steel foundation stands!

theophile
06-20-2021, 08:37 AM
Good deal! I had those WoodTech/MetalTech stands for my speakers...... 30" tall model, before getting my 26" tall Sanus steel foundation stands!

Thanks Ed!

I ended up with a very simple but nice Monoprice Monolith 4-shelf audio rack...solid and very functional. However, the 23.5" shelf widths played havoc with the soundstage depth and height when set in-between the Sierra2-EX! I was able to stretch out the right 10ft speaker wire and set the new rack somewhat near the left wall (under my double french door windows). With nothing-but-air between the 2EX monitors, achieved Another WOW Moment!!! :o

Currently have new 12 gauge oxygen free copper wire on order and will terminate with my high-end banana plugs and get the new rack arrangement all the way against the left side wall. Once set-up is complete, will provide more comments on the overall sound changes and of course, obligatory new pics! :cool:

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/30d9HV6Q/IMG-7999.jpg (https://postimg.cc/30d9HV6Q)

Mag_Neato
06-21-2021, 05:09 AM
Here's my little stack..... Pangea Vulcan rack in carbon fiber.

petmotel
06-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Ted, is the rest of the room as barren as the pictures portray? If so, I am wondering what some first reflection point damping might do to even further the sound quality?

Jay

Mag_Neato
06-22-2021, 08:13 AM
Here's my treated room!

theophile
06-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Ted, is the rest of the room as barren as the pictures portray? If so, I am wondering what some first reflection point damping might do to even further the sound quality?

Jay

Jay,

For the most part, Yes! My dedicated small 2-channel listening environment has presented some challenges. The room's left side (10ft L) has a glassed half-moon transom with doubled glass paneled false french doors. To the right are bi panel closet doors and the 32" entry way that oppose the french door exterior wall (see pics). The room's 9ft Width on one end host the monitors and sub, with the opposing 9ft wall housing the listening love seat. It is a 90sf/990cf music room with overall dimensions of 9'W x 10'L x 11'H...a little cramped, but does provide a wonderful quasi-near field presentation! Other than paintings [and the framed "1911 Conservatory of Lavenir, Paris, France- recognition letter for their Classical Pianoforte Course-Honors of completion to my Grandmother :cool:], the equipment and listening 9ft walls are sheetrock finishes! As per this overall minimalistic room decor, surprisingly I have neither too live or too dead of room acoustics, exhibiting virtually no echo or reverb. Believe this overall contributes enough diffraction and absorption to enhance the "Huge Venue Presentations" found in my diverse library of music genre...just the way I like my room acoustics! :)

Last year, I experimented with four 2" X 2ft square GIK Acoustiscs-2A Alpha Diffusor/Absorber panels. After a full month and many hours of room placements and detailed listening sessions (trials on every wall surface and about every configuration I could come up with), I returned the panels. I simply could not Improve any facet of the soundstage presentation, nor any areas of the room's acoustics that I enjoyed in my sweet listening spot! As stated in post#23, setting the new component rack under the double french door/windows to the left exterior wall (zero eq. interference between the 2EX) appears to eliminate any damaging first reflections, creating what I believe will settle out to be the best my small intimate music room is capable of! :D

Now, just awaiting arrival of new longer speaker wire to finish the audio component rack relocation task! ;)

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/NLtVfcMT/IMG-8016.jpg (https://postimg.cc/NLtVfcMT) https://i.postimg.cc/rd80wsv3/IMG-8015.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rd80wsv3)

theophile
06-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Here's my little stack..... Pangea Vulcan rack in carbon fiber.

Here's my treated room!

Ed,

I did look at the Pangea Vulcan 4-shelf audio rack (also in CF)...it is Very Nice! However, if I ever wanted to add a shelf to house a smaller sub behind each 2-EX stand (original plans that aren't in the trash just yet), I needed a shelf depth that was 3" less. In my situation, the Monolith (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27678) meet this criteria!

YES, another Dedicated music room! :cool:

Bet the 2EX sound awesome there!!! :D

Ted

Mag_Neato
06-22-2021, 12:34 PM
Ed,

I did look at the Pangea Vulcan 4-shelf audio rack (also in CF)...it is Very Nice! However, if I ever wanted to add a shelf to house a smaller sub behind each 2-EX stand (original plans that aren't in the trash just yet), I needed a shelf depth that was 3" less. In my situation, the Monolith (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27678) meet this criteria!

YES, another Dedicated music room! :cool:

Bet the 2EX sound awesome there!!! :D

Ted

Yes, they do sound awesome!

Sounds like you found the right rack for your application. I lucked out and bought the Pangea 2nd hand from a buddy who is always changing things in his system. Nearly bought a pair of mono block amps from him once.

theophile
07-04-2021, 10:31 AM
...Sounds like you found the right rack for your application. I lucked out and bought the Pangea 2nd hand from a buddy who is always changing things in his system. Nearly bought a pair of mono block amps from him once.

Now, just awaiting arrival of new longer speaker wire to finish the audio component rack relocation task! ;)

Ted

Ed,

Yep, the Monolith component rack is working out nicely (see pics)!

Got in the new KnuKoncepts 12ga 100% OFC speaker Wire (50' Roll (http://www.knukonceptz.com/sp/kl3-kable-122-audiophile-cl3ul-in-wall-speaker-wire/)) and relocated the new rack to the left wall. Started with 2-25ft speaker wire lengths and got about 150 hrs break in time over the 1st week (music playing round-the-clock)! Switching out and comparing with my prior 35 yr old shorter (10ft) 12ga 100% OFC speaker cable (Monster Pro HR), the KK bass tightness-depth-tonality took 24 hours to blossom, however midrange took another 24 hrs to become sweet and lucid! Top end smoothness/trainsients to the RAALs didn't return until 100 hours of music break-in!! On Friday (150 hrs), I trimmed the 25ft lengths into 14ft (left 2EX) and 19ft (right 2EX) lengths.

At 200 hours, top to bottom bandwidth has matured Very Nicely, but the overall very precise and detailed soundstage is still somewhat collapsed, as compared to the well broken in 10ft Monster Pros!! The Monster cable creates a Huge Depth in Soundstage (like 15th row seats, with 30-50ft venue depth vs the KK at 3rd row seating with 15-20ft venue depth). The deeper soundstage Immediately draws me into the music emotionally with a very relaxed sensation of being in the venue (Live, immersed in the music), whereas the shallower soundstage initially sounds very impressive with a slight edge of more detail and resolution, but at the expense of becoming emotionally uninvolved with the performance (Sterile and detached)!! Given more playing time, we'll "hear" if the KK cables can come around!

FWIW, I've ordered some high-end speaker cables (SP4 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/speaker-cable-single/products/sp4-speaker-cable-single-288-ssi-wires)) from Morrow Audio to try! Hopefully they can meet (or even surpass) the musical performance of my old "tried but true" too-short MC cables!?! With a 60 day return policy, again will have the opportunity to really "Hear" if differences are worth the investment $$$! :confused:

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/yk0zNTwF/IMG-8021.jpg (https://postimg.cc/yk0zNTwF) https://i.postimg.cc/nMBHsZmj/IMG-8031.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nMBHsZmj) https://i.postimg.cc/fJFyX5Lk/IMG-8046.jpg (https://postimg.cc/fJFyX5Lk) https://i.postimg.cc/ZBVKqx2b/IMG-8050.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ZBVKqx2b)

racrawford65
07-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Never heard Morrow cables so will be interested in your impressions.
I generally use blue jeans cables (as interconnects in "less critical" - to me - applications, eg, AVR to ATMOS amp), blue jeans speaker cables, and for more critical connections, AudioSensibility.

theophile
07-08-2021, 11:24 AM
*the KnuKoncepte bass tightness-depth-tonality took 24 hours to blossom...
*midrange took 48 hrs to become sweet and lucid...
*Top end smoothness/trainsients to the RAALs didn't return until 100 hours of music break-in...!!
*At 200 hours, top to bottom bandwidth has matured Very Nicely, but the overall very precise and detailed soundstage is still somewhat collapsed, as compared to the well broken in 10ft Monster Pros...

Never heard Morrow cables so will be interested in your impressions.
I generally use blue jeans cables (as interconnects in "less critical" - to me - applications, eg, AVR to ATMOS amp), blue jeans speaker cables, and for more critical connections, AudioSensibility.

Robert,

At 250+ hours, the KK cables are starting to really become “Musical”! They have increased their Soundstage Depth presentation to almost Exactly match the Monster Pro’s! Additionally, I’m now hearing more nuisances, detail, resolution and greater air/openness/less veiling in the midrange and treble bandwidths throughout all of my well known music genre (without any hint of edginess, harshness or additional brightness)! Bass tonality, speed and punch has also improved!! Overall, my “emotional involvement” with my music has grown exponentially and now seems to have surpassed my old tried & true Monster reference cables!

I still have the Morrow Audio cables (SP4) coming in to try for a 60 day trial period! I've looked at the Blue Jeans (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NSXRHH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1KF3ITPY3ZC5Y&psc=1) Canare 4S11 "star quad" 14-gauge cable, with four conductors together in one outer jacket and set up as a single-wired connector, each then becoming an 11 gauge + or - cable run! Will consider these if the Morrow SP4's high-end (and $$$$) cables don't knock my socks off!! :rolleyes:

Ted

racrawford65
07-08-2021, 04:26 PM
thanks for the updates, Ted.
Maybe I'll try a set of the KK's one of these days.
Next on my list to purchase is a degritter ultrasonic record cleaner to replace my vinyl stack/cheap Ultrasonic set up.

theophile
07-18-2021, 05:50 PM
thanks for the updates, Ted.
Maybe I'll try a set of the KK's one of these days.
Next on my list to purchase is a degritter ultrasonic record cleaner to replace my vinyl stack/cheap Ultrasonic set up.

...I still have the Morrow Audio cables (SP4) coming in to try for a 60 day trial period! I've looked at the Blue Jeans (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NSXRHH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1KF3ITPY3ZC5Y&psc=1) Canare 4S11 "star quad" 14-gauge cable, with four conductors together in one outer jacket and set up as a single-wired connector, each then becoming an 11 gauge + or - cable run! Will consider these if the Morrow SP4's high-end (and $$$$) cables don't knock my socks off!! :rolleyes:

Ted

Robert,

Well, after about 300 hrs of break-in, I've changed my impressions of the KnuKoncepts 12Ga OFC speaker Cables. Overall, they have presented limitations that aren't musical. Dynamics are somewhat compressed, as they aren't "live sounding" at low volumes, but when pushed with realistic listening concert volumes, become somewhat edgy and dry, not as open and smooth as my original Monster Pro High Res cables!

Still awaiting the Morrow SP4 cables (due the week of the 26th). So, I ordered the in stock BJC Canare 4S11 Star Quad cables from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSVVGZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I was somewhat dejected upon their arrival, as they are a stiffer and larger diameter speaker cable than what I'm use to, but wait, where in the heck did my S-2EX Go????????????:confused:

I'm immediately hearing background nuisances, inner details and venue sounds that weren't in my recordings before. Soundstage depth and height has grown even larger with 3D air around vocalist and instrumentalist. A veil, one I never felt existed, has been lifted and Clarity, Redolution and Realism has taken a quantum leap into the High-End Realm! In my music library, cymbals, clapping, string bowing and many other micro details have appeared more real than I've previously experienced. Vocals, as an emotional and diverse instrument, have taken on a new reality (can hear everything). Bass attacks, punch, timbre, tonality and speed has become Superb and grown exponentially (just thought I had great bass before). Overall, Micro and Macro Dynamics have increased and presentation has become very much more musical. Come now, where did my 2EX go??????! :rolleyes:

No kidding, the new BJC Canare 4S11 speaker cables have made my Sierra 2EX Monitors sound like they were given a hefty dose of Steriods, like a purchase of new higher end Monitors!! If I added all of the positives of my old Monster Cables and the new KnuKoncepts speaker cable, I'd Still not come close to what these Canare cables have shown me and if I could cancel my Morrow Audio SP4 speaker cable order, I would...Period! But they are already built and paid for and should be arriving in the next 2 weeks. I just can't wrap my head around the Morrows (@ 10X the price) out performing these Made-In-Japan speaker cables, but will have 60 days to try! It ought to be Very Interesting! ;)

FWIW, after conversing with my friend and audiophile buddy of 47 years, he ordered the BJC Canare 4S11 cables and after 5 minutes of listening, called me proclaiming, "WOW-Ho..Sh..-WOW"...BEST $100 I've EVER Spent on Stereo Gear...These ARE NOT Going Back...Can't believe what I've been missing"! :cool:

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/rzz03T30/Canare-4-S11-Star-Quad-Sp-Cable-7.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rzz03T30) https://i.postimg.cc/bZYTmJwF/Canare-4-S11-Star-Quad-Sp-Cable-8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bZYTmJwF)

curtis
07-19-2021, 09:55 AM
Years ago, I made my own cables with Canare 4S11. I used them with my CMT-340SEs. I terminated them for bi-wiring. I re-terminated for non bi-wire after getting my Sierra-1's. I think I still have them in the garage somewhere.

When I got my Sierra-2's, I wanted to have the same cable for L/C/R, so I went with BJC's Beldon cable with ultrasonically welded locking bananas for all three.

Honestly, I hear no difference.

racrawford65
07-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Thanks, Ted, for the update.
Curtis answered my question regarding difference between the Belden and Canare cables.

theophile
07-19-2021, 03:14 PM
Years ago, I made my own cables with Canare 4S11. I used them with my CMT-340SEs. I terminated them for bi-wiring. I re-terminated for non bi-wire after getting my Sierra-1's. I think I still have them in the garage somewhere.

When I got my Sierra-2's, I wanted to have the same cable for L/C/R, so I went with BJC's Beldon cable with ultrasonically welded locking bananas for all three.

Honestly, I hear no difference.

Good to hear "no differences", Curtis...Thanks!

Maybe, the "non-welded" conductors of the 4S11 sound equal to the "sonic-welded" conductors of the Beldon cables?!? :confused: Jeff at BJC has stated receiving many comments (similar to mine) from users who have stepped up from the Beldon welded to the 4S11 welded cables?!?

My BJC very upbeat findings and comments (post#34) come after using other 12 Ga OFC cables that are terminated with regular Sewel compression Deadbolt bananas. Believe I currently have a better Synergistic Match using the Canare 4S11 Star Quad cables (also ultrasonically welded conductors to locking banana connectors) between my power amp and the 2EX!?! :)

Ted

curtis
07-19-2021, 05:39 PM
My only reason for going for the welded is durability, and I didn't want to mess with the compression connections any longer, and the locking bananas. I think the gauge was thicker overall, too

And...too lazy to make cables. :)

theophile
08-18-2021, 08:39 AM
No kidding, the new BJC Canare 4S11 speaker cables have made my Sierra 2EX Monitors sound like they were given a hefty dose of Steriods, like a purchase of new higher end Monitors!! If I added all of the positives of my old Monster Cables and the new KnuKoncepts speaker cable, I'd Still not come close to what these Canare cables have shown me and if I could cancel my Morrow Audio SP4 speaker cable order, I would...Period! But they are already built and paid for and should be arriving in the next 2 weeks. I just can't wrap my head around the Morrows (@ 10X the price) out performing these Made-In-Japan speaker cables, but will have 60 days to try! It ought to be Very Interesting! ;)

FWIW (imagine I'm sounding like a broken record...heck, I am a Stereo Audiophile :rolleyes:), but Hearing is Believing! I received the Morrow Audio SP4 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/speaker-cable-pair/products/sp4-speaker-cable-pair-144-ssi-wires) speaker cables on 7/26 and have had them cooking with music 24/7 since (now over 400 hours of break-in). They Are the Keepers...sent back the Canares! The Morrows (to Me) are worth 5X the price (50%-sale) of the Canare S411 cables!!! :)

They take all of the positive sonic qualities of my previous cable usages (30 Yr 10Ga Monster Pros, 12 Ga OFC KnuKoncepts, Blue Jeans 11Ga Canare 4S11) and Step-Up the LIVE music reproduction presentation with Improvements in:

1. Soundstage depth (recording dependent) 10 to 20 feet deeper than any of the above speaker cables.
2. Soundstage Pinpoint focus, with much greater air and separation of vocals, instrumentals, strings, keyboard and small ensembles.
3. Venue accuracy, ambiance and spaciousness with tremendous width, depth and height.
4. Balance of an extremely natural, open and live 3D Holographic presentation.
5. Excellence in micro/macro dynamics.
6. Extremely accurate timbres/tonalities/resolutions.
7. Superb attack/sustained/decay articulations.
8. Full Bandwidth precision and balance-Nothing is missing.
9. Make my Highly-Resolving 2EX Sing with Very Musical, Realistic and Live-You-Are-There Presentations.
10. Relaxed and Smooth Aura of Sound that allows for Hours of continuous non-fatiguing listening sessions.
11. More Naturally Allows the music to become an effortless, immersive and engaging experience.
12. Ease of system/speakers disappearing with only the Music to Enjoy!

Overall, I find myself toe-tapping and listening to every bar of music on each CD as I hear and feel what the musicians intended to impart in their creative art of music! Often, my mind is Blown, because What I See (my room and my components) versus What I Hear (Live Venue Performances) are in such stark contrast, the goose bumps, breath catching and sometimes tears just flow!!

Seems now, I can just enjoy and relish the emotional art my full musical library genre presents without any thought or interference from my “Stereo Setup” (With Thanks to Ascend Acoustics)!!! :cool:

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/3dnnS5b6/IMG-8188.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3dnnS5b6)

racrawford65
08-18-2021, 03:01 PM
Nice review, Ted.
So tempted to order a pair but currently need to resist spending more money on A/V equipment as I recently picked up a Degritter (very impressed by this machine and how well it cleans vinyl) and ordered a SPEC AP-UD1 turntable "mat" from Japan which should be here next week.

theophile
08-18-2021, 04:26 PM
Nice review, Ted.
So tempted to order a pair but currently need to resist spending more money on A/V equipment as I recently picked up a Degritter (very impressed by this machine and how well it cleans vinyl) and ordered a SPEC AP-UD1 turntable "mat" from Japan which should be here next week.

Thanks Robert,

This "Audio Hobby" seems never ending, huh! :rolleyes:

Other than the Sierra-2EX acquisition, these Morrow Cables (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7355-AA-Sierra-2EX-Monitor-Review&p=66400#post66400) have made the most substantial sonic improvements in my current 2.1 stereo presentation for these past ten years!! Suffice to say, They REALLY show what the Sierra-2EX are capable of as True Studio Monitors! :cool:

As long as the CD player (30 years old) and the Pre/Power Amps (12 years old) continue to perform and not fall apart, I might dare upgrade to some of the Morrow Interconnect Cables for my analog components! With a 60-day Trial period and Lifetime guarantee, nothing to loose but a few more coins, huh!! ;)

Ted

racrawford65
08-18-2021, 05:55 PM
So true, Ted. It's only money and you can't take it with you!

elan120
08-20-2021, 10:49 PM
FWIW (imagine I'm sounding like a broken record...heck, I am a Stereo Audiophile :rolleyes:), but Hearing is Believing! I received the Morrow Audio SP4 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/speaker-cable-pair/products/sp4-speaker-cable-pair-144-ssi-wires) speaker cables on 7/26 and have had them cooking with music 24/7 since (now over 400 hours of break-in). They Are the Keepers...sent back the Canares! The Morrows (to Me) are worth 5X the price (50%-sale) of the Canare S411 cables!!! :)

They take all of the positive sonic qualities of my previous cable usages (30 Yr 10Ga Monster Pros, 12 Ga OFC KnuKoncepts, Blue Jeans 11Ga Canare 4S11) and Step-Up the LIVE music reproduction presentation with Improvements in:

1. Soundstage depth (recording dependent) 10 to 20 feet deeper than any of the above speaker cables.
2. Soundstage Pinpoint focus, with much greater air and separation of vocals, instrumentals, strings, keyboard and small ensembles.
3. Venue accuracy, ambiance and spaciousness with tremendous width, depth and height.
4. Balance of an extremely natural, open and live 3D Holographic presentation.
5. Excellence in micro/macro dynamics.
6. Extremely accurate timbres/tonalities/resolutions.
7. Superb attack/sustained/decay articulations.
8. Full Bandwidth precision and balance-Nothing is missing.
9. Make my Highly-Resolving 2EX Sing with Very Musical, Realistic and Live-You-Are-There Presentations.
10. Relaxed and Smooth Aura of Sound that allows for Hours of continuous non-fatiguing listening sessions.
11. More Naturally Allows the music to become an effortless, immersive and engaging experience.
12. Ease of system/speakers disappearing with only the Music to Enjoy!

Overall, I find myself toe-tapping and listening to every bar of music on each CD as I hear and feel what the musicians intended to impart in their creative art of music! Often, my mind is Blown, because What I See (my room and my components) versus What I Hear (Live Venue Performances) are in such stark contrast, the goose bumps, breath catching and sometimes tears just flow!!

Seems now, I can just enjoy and relish the emotional art my full musical library genre presents without any thought or interference from my “Stereo Setup” (With Thanks to Ascend Acoustics)!!! :cool:

Ted

https://i.postimg.cc/3dnnS5b6/IMG-8188.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3dnnS5b6)

Outstanding review, Ted,

I may have to try these when my speakers are delivered. The improments outlined in your review are attributes I also would like to get in my system.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

Regards,
Kevin

natetg57
08-21-2021, 04:20 AM
Outstanding review, Ted,

I may have to try these when my speakers are delivered. The improments outlined in your review are attributes I also would like to get in my system.

Regards,
Kevin

Beware that it is quite easy to 'hear' improvements when those improvements are expected. Try to do any listening tests blind. Have someone else switch them out and see if you can hear a difference.

theophile
08-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Beware that it is quite easy to 'hear' improvements when those improvements are expected. Try to do any listening tests blind. Have someone else switch them out and see if you can hear a difference.

Nate,

Great point!

These past 2 months, my eldest son and I spent 3 weeks switching out 5 pairs of speaker cables (Monster Cable Pro- Monoprice Access - Knu Koncepts KL3 OFC - BJC Canare 4S11 Sonic Welded and Morrow Audio SP4). Using very familiar and specific genre cuts, we started out performing blind listening test and after many listening sessions, started comparing comments. We were within 90% agreement on audible changes, descriptions, positives and negatives. It was an arduous long task, but we always kept coming back to the Morrow Audio SP4 cables for their ease, precision, depth, focus and realism of holographic venue presentation and bandwidth timbre/resolution accuracy!!

Break-in timing (for cable sets to settle out and reach their best performances) were:

Monster - (about 35 years!-smooth, balanced but diffused soundstage)
Mono - (100 hrs-Strident and flat presentation from the onset)
Knu K - (300 Hrs-slowly improved, but would never open up soundstage depth-harsh highs and not dynamic)
BJC C - (100 Hrs-for $$$, Very Good, but w/300+ hrs, would not yield a soundstage as deep as the Morrows)
Morrow - (275 Hrs total-arrived with 10-days of burn-in from Morrrow=highs-mids-soundstage Came Superb...Bass took 24 hrs, then came in with the Thunder of Thor!) :)

Ted

elan120
08-21-2021, 09:43 AM
Nate,

Great point!

These past 2 months, my eldest son and I spent 3 weeks switching out 5 pairs of speaker cables (Monster Cable Pro- Monoprice Access - Knu Koncepts KL3 OFC - BJC Canare 4S11 Sonic Welded and Morrow Audio SP4). Using very familiar and specific genre cuts, we started out performing blind listening test and after many listening sessions, started comparing comments. We were within 90% agreement on audible changes, descriptions, positives and negatives. It was an arduous long task, but we always kept coming back to the Morrow Audio SP4 cables for their ease, precision, depth, focus and realism of holographic venue presentation and bandwidth timbre/resolution accuracy!!

Break-in timing (for cable sets to settle out and reach their best performances) were:

Monster - (about 35 years!-smooth, balanced but diffused soundstage)
Mono - (100 hrs-Strident and flat presentation from the onset)
Knu K - (300 Hrs-slowly improved, but would never open up soundstage depth-harsh highs and not dynamic)
BJC C - (100 Hrs-for $$$, Very Good, but w/300+ hrs, would not yield a soundstage as deep as the Morrows)
Morrow - (275 Hrs total-arrived with 10-days of burn-in from Morrrow=highs-mids-soundstage Came Superb...Bass took 24 hrs, then came in with the Thunder of Thor!) :)

Ted
Good description, Ted,

Just curious, did you switch off the sub or kept it on during listening test?

Regards,
Kevin

racrawford65
08-21-2021, 10:19 AM
Outstanding review, Ted,

Regards,
Kevin

Agree, as well. I've also bookmarked the Morrow page. May have to give them a try sometime.

theophile
08-21-2021, 10:31 AM
Good description, Ted,

Just curious, did you switch off the sub or kept it on during listening test?

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,

Since we also wanted to determine the HP 50Hz response/blend of the S-2EX with the LP 50Hz response/blend of the sub while listening to the different speaker cables to the S-2EX, the sub was on 100% of the listening sessions! :cool:

Ted

elan120
08-21-2021, 12:35 PM
Kevin,

Since we also wanted to determine the HP 50Hz response/blend of the S-2EX with the LP 50Hz response/blend of the sub while listening to the different speaker cables to the S-2EX, the sub was on 100% of the listening sessions! :cool:

Ted

Thank you, Ted,

What was the deciding factors to try the SP4 instead of other ones? Meanwhile, based on the improvements from SP4, would you consider to move up to SP5 or SP6?

It will be another couple month before I can try different speaker cables, so just try to see what might be a good choice when I am ready.

Regards,
Kevin

theophile
08-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Thank you, Ted,

What was the deciding factors to try the SP4 instead of other ones? Meanwhile, based on the improvements from SP4, would you consider to move up to SP5 or SP6?

It will be another couple month before I can try different speaker cables, so just try to see what might be a good choice when I am ready.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,

My original interest was peaked by positive on-line comments and these "Testimonials & Reviews" by owners On the Morrow Website, see HERE (https://www.morrowaudio.com/pages/reviews)!!

As per my review (top of review page), Mike stated their SP4 speaker cables were the "sweet spot" in their diverse cable line up and a "best buy"...I agreed as they came in at the top of My current budget level!! Their 10-day burned-in service, a 60-day trial period and lifetime warranty were just Sweet Icing on the cake! I was prepared to just "test them out" and return them, but once I Heard the Sp4s in My System for a week or so, quickly decided "They Are Not Going Back" and for me, were worth the additional investment I made!!!

Thus, instead of stepping up to their much costlier speaker cables, decided when it all settles out I'll invest in their RCA interconnects (like the MA4 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/interconnect-pair/products/ma4-interconnect-pair-48-ssi-wires) & the SUB4 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/subwoofer-cable/products/sub4-subwoofer-cable-48-ssi-wires))!!

I really love their business model integrity, their website, their honest customer service approach and of course, their proven products (reminds me of Ascend Acoustics!)...hopefully, others will also discover what their cable designs have to offer in creating Audio Nirvana! :D

Hope this all helps, :o

Ted

elan120
08-21-2021, 02:17 PM
Hope this all helps, :o

Ted

Very helpful information, Ted,

Once I have the speakers delivered, it will take a bit of time to have everything arranged and settled, and I plan to try these speaker cables to see if the same magic will happen in my system.

I will have a resolving source setup, if this speaker cable can help reveal more, I will be extremely happy.

Regards,
Kevin

theophile
08-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Very helpful information, Ted,

Once I have the speakers delivered, it will take a bit of time to have everything arranged and settled, and I plan to try these speaker cables to see if the same magic will happen in my system.

I will have a resolving source setup, if this speaker cable can help reveal more, I will be extremely happy.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,

What speaker cables will you be using to break-in the RAAL Towers? :confused:

Ted

elan120
08-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Kevin,

What speaker cables will you be using to break-in the RAAL Towers? :confused:

Ted

Ted,

I will start with an old pair of MIT MH-750, once burn-in is completed, I will compare with another old pair of HGA Silver to see which one work better.

Regards,
Kevin

theophile
09-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Ted,

I will start with an old pair of MIT MH-750, once burn-in is completed, I will compare with another old pair of HGA Silver to see which one work better.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,

Are the RAAL Towers in the house...50-100 hours broken in yet?!? ;)

Ted

elan120
09-12-2021, 08:17 AM
Kevin,

Are the RAAL Towers in the house...50-100 hours broken in yet?!? ;)

Ted

No, not yet, still waiting for the delivery. :(

My guess is early Oct.

theophile
09-15-2021, 01:18 PM
No, not yet, still waiting for the delivery. :(

My guess is early Oct.

Cool Kevin...Christmas in October! ;)

Ted

elan120
09-15-2021, 02:20 PM
Cool Kevin...Christmas in October! ;)

Ted

Sure looks that way, Ted,

Meanwhile, it is giving me time to get items ready to test the setups, including some DIY parts, so it will be a very busy October for me. ;)

Kevin

theophile
09-21-2021, 03:03 AM
Sure looks that way, Ted,

Meanwhile, it is giving me time to get items ready to test the setups, including some DIY parts, so it will be a very busy October for me. ;)

Kevin

That's great, Kevin...Enjoy the Journey and keep us informed! :D

Well, the SP4's speaker cables sound sooo great, was curious about what their interconnects could do for me. Mike stated yesterday morning that they’ll Further Enhance the SP4 Soundstage Attributes in addition to the same degree of soundstage improvements I hear with the SP4's…very hard to imagine it getting any Better!?! :confused:

With their 60-day return policy, figured I have nothing to loose...Ordered their MA4's and Sub4 interconnects, along with their in-house cable break-in 10-day services. There is a 3 week delay in build time, thus should see these arriving at the end of October! Before Thanksgiving, I'll report back my findings of "Audio Fact or Sales Fiction"!!! :cool:

Ted

elan120
09-21-2021, 07:32 AM
That's great, Kevin...Enjoy the Journey and keep us informed! :D

Well, the SP4's speaker cables sound sooo great, was curious about what their interconnects could do for me. Mike stated yesterday morning that they’ll Further Enhance the SP4 Soundstage Attributes in addition to the same degree of soundstage improvements I hear with the SP4's…very hard to imagine it getting any Better!?! :confused:

With their 60-day return policy, figured I have nothing to loose...Ordered their MA4's and Sub4 interconnects, along with their in-house cable break-in 10-day services. There is a 3 week delay in build time, thus should see these arriving at the end of October! Before Thanksgiving, I'll report back my findings of "Audio Fact or Sales Fiction"!!! :cool:

Ted

I speculate the interconnects will also help, but not sure to what degree, so I will be looking for your review by late November to see how you like them.

As for my journey, well, it got started again last night. I received an email from Dina that they will be getting the finished cabinets in 3-4 weeks, so looks like I should get the speakers around mid to late October.

Kevin

briand
10-13-2021, 06:50 AM
I'm now thinking about upgrading my speaker cables.
Would a bare wire connection to the speaker be preferable to spades or banana plugs since it would be 1 interface rather than 2? Convenience is not a factor since I never change out my speakers. I would still use banana plugs on my amp since the convenience there is is needed.

theophile
10-13-2021, 08:32 AM
I'm now thinking about upgrading my speaker cables.
Would a bare wire connection to the speaker be preferable to spades or banana plugs since it would be 1 interface rather than 2? Convenience is not a factor since I never change out my speakers. I would still use banana plugs on my amp since the convenience there is is needed.

Hello Briand and Welcome to the Ascend Acoustic forum! :)

Over the past 40 years, I've had it both ways in my audio systems. Found the sound degraded over the years due to oxidation of the exposed bare copper wire. I had to cut back 1/2" on both ends each year to remove the oxidation and get to fresh bare wire. I then discovered the o-ring sealed compression banana plugs (like THESE (https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-SW-29863-12-Deadbolt-12-Pair/dp/B006U3O566/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=sewell+banana+plugs&qid=1634138064&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A28128AMZ00PEQ&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWT1lLVk04OTdCREgmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0MjMyODkxOE9MOUQ4RzVWRERHJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMzkyOTYzTE5WSk9PQkhZUkNKJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm9 0TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==)) that make a positive connection, sound good and minimize environmental exposure!

FWIW, the Blue Jean Canare 4S11 (like THESE (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NSXRHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)) offer ultrasonic welded connectors that have a lock mechanism to secure the connection to the terminal receptacle! IMHO, these 4S11 speaker cables with that welded/lockable connector yielded the Best sound and performance for the investment! I've found better (Morrow Audio), but had to spend 8X the price! :rolleyes:

Hope this all helps!

Ted

briand
10-13-2021, 01:33 PM
Thanks. Makes sense to minimize wire oxidation.
I am finding with my Sierra 2EX that things in my system that were hardly noticeable with past speakers now can make a significant difference. Good for music enjoyment, bad for wallet.

theophile
10-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Thanks. Makes sense to minimize wire oxidation.
I am finding with my Sierra 2EX that things in my system that were hardly noticeable with past speakers now can make a significant difference. Good for music enjoyment, bad for wallet.

Correct Briand! The Sierra 2EX are very musical, but also very analytical (reason I call mine, "Monitors")! In my experience, they are capable of opening windows into the honest quality of components, cabling, recordings and even room acoustics!!

Feed them with well matched synergistic electronics, wiring and music in a balanced listening environment and they'll produce Live Surreal 2-channel Stereo Magic! :cool:

Ted

theophile
11-21-2021, 05:13 PM
I speculate the interconnects will also help, but not sure to what degree, so I will be looking for your review by late November to see how you like them.

As for my journey, well, it got started again last night. I received an email from Dina that they will be getting the finished cabinets in 3-4 weeks, so looks like I should get the speakers around mid to late October.

Kevin

Kevin...Well, the RAAL Towers should be almost in-the-house?!

FWIW, have been cooking the Morrow Audio Interconnects (2-sets for pre and power amps and 1-sub cable) these past 30-days. They came from Morrow with 300 hours of break-in on them and I added another 400+ hours of music playback. Well, they are going back tomorrow!?! :rolleyes:

Neither the Morrow MA4's or the SUB4 interconnects meet my expectations, that of "improving" the MC CD Pro Reference interconnects I had before! The Morrows were smooth and detailed, but never really matched the MC's open soundstage that precisely places the music (vocals, instrumentals, strings) into the walk-into-the-venue recorded space! My Components + My Interconnects + My Sierra 2EX Monitors/Sub + My Music Room + SP4 Speaker Cables = Magical 3D Stereo that blows the room boundaries down and is a constant mind-blowing experience!!! With my set-up and situation, believe the sonic Balance, Synergy and Realism I already had obtained (especially with the "Morrow SP4 speaker cables") will be enjoyable for many more years to come!!!

Ted

elan120
11-21-2021, 10:14 PM
Kevin...Well, the RAAL Towers should be almost in-the-house?!

FWIW, have been cooking the Morrow Audio Interconnects (2-sets for pre and power amps and 1-sub cable) these past 30-days. They came from Morrow with 300 hours of break-in on them and I added another 400+ hours of music playback. Well, they are going back tomorrow!?! :rolleyes:

Neither the Morrow MA4's or the SUB4 interconnects meet my expectations, that of "improving" the MC CD Pro Reference interconnects I had before! The Morrows were smooth and detailed, but never really matched the MC's open soundstage that precisely places the music (vocals, instrumentals, strings) into the walk-into-the-venue recorded space! My Components + My Interconnects + My Sierra 2EX Monitors/Sub + My Music Room + SP4 Speaker Cables = Magical 3D Stereo that blows the room boundaries down and is a constant mind-blowing experience!!! With my set-up and situation, believe the sonic Balance, Synergy and Realism I already had obtained (especially with the "Morrow SP4 speaker cables") will be enjoyable for many more years to come!!!

Ted

Thank you for the detailed update, Ted,

Very good to know you already have the combination you want. That is the state I will be working on for a short while, but in couple weeks, my first step should start, by having the room ready to take the RAAL tower delivery. It has been longer wait then I originally planned, but I am now just happy I finally can get the setup started. Once I have the initial setup going, and all the break in done, I plan on following your steps by getting a set of Morrow speaker cable to see if I am able to duplicate your sucess.

Kevin

elan120
12-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Ted,

Thank you for the speaker cable tip, I placed an order today with their 10 day burn-in service at a very good discount.

Regards,
Kevin

theophile
12-05-2021, 05:52 AM
Ted,

Thank you for the speaker cable tip, I placed an order today with their 10 day burn-in service at a very good discount. Regards, Kevin

You're welcome, Kevin! Hope you find their virtues offer your setup superior sonics and great value like I did! ;)

Will we be seeing a RAAL Tower review from you soon?!?

Ted

elan120
12-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Will we be seeing a RAAL Tower review from you soon?!?

Ted

Probably not until Jan-2022 due to delivery is unlikely to happen in December, but the 2EX will be shipping soon, so I will have them setup in RAAL Tower's place until Tower is delivered.

I received one of the two amps earlier this week, and speaker cable is being build, so once I have the 2EX here, I will still have plenty of fun before the yearend.

Kevin

Jim Burnes
12-23-2022, 02:29 AM
My Background: Musician and Engineer. I've played some combination of trumpet, guitar and keyboards since 2nd grade. Engineer is day job: Combination of computer hardware and software design.

I've had my Sierra 2EXs for 1.5 years now and I thought I'd chime in on their performance. I'll follow Ted's original review format and add my own comments. My setup with the Sierras is Moode Audio running on a Raspberry Pi 4b, streaming into a Topping E30 DAC in pure DAC mode into an Academy Audio preamp then into dual mono Hypex NC400s into the 2EXs.

I've owned two audiophile monitors sets since I started in the hobby 20 years ago. Both had exceptional imaging, dynamics and richness. The first were Dunlavy SM1 studio monitors. The second were Alon Acarian 1s. The SM1s were the fastest, best imaging monitors I'd ever heard. Amazingly the 2EXs almost exactly match them in that respect.

The Alon 1s are dipoles and have the most amazing holography with the ability to project the sound stage behind you. With well-recorded live music the 2EXs equal if not exceed them in this respect. I tested the 2EXs with an ambiphonic recording of a nature setting with birds flying around a lake and the room became the lakefront and I was completely surrounded. I could identify individual birds and their species as they slowly flew by. Stunning.

So in my mind the 2EXs are like a combination of a Dunlavy SM1 and an Alon 1 with tighter, more extended bass -- except, and this is totally subjective, they are more musical. I think its due to that amazing RAAL ribbon tweeter and its almost magical cohesion with the Seas woofer creating accurate sweetness combined with rock-solid pacing

That tweeter is so accurate, but never harsh. Bells sound exactly like bells. Saxaphones and trumpets are sweet and accurate. I have a few recordings that mix trumpets and cornets and you can clearly hear which is which, who the the manufacturer is and what kind of bell they have (76 LA Benge and 1934 Olds Standard for the curious). Guitars are airy and sensuous.

I listen to about 70% Jazz/Fusion, 20% Rock and 10% classical. One of the first albums I tested was Bob Curnos LA Big Band performance of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays tunes. It really stretched the 2EXs and they shined. Reproduction of complex human vocals and acapella is amazing in Cadence's renditions of Feeling Groovy and Spinning Wheel. Turn on the 200 wpc NC400s, give the 2EXs enough juice and they rock out without break up (be careful). Spin some Yes/Fragile/Roundabout, RUSH (anything) or early Chicago (Brand New Love Affair, Dialog Parts 1 and 2) and... wow. Energy, dynamics, separation and pace all day long.

So I love these things more than some relatives. No they aren't free, but they *are* a great deal on a slice of sonic bliss and an example of great craftsmanship so rare these days. Thanks Dave!

jimlucci
12-23-2022, 05:21 AM
My Background: Musician and Engineer. I've played some combination of trumpet, guitar and keyboards since 2nd grade. Engineer is day job: Combination of computer hardware and software design.

I've had my Sierra 2EXs for 1.5 years now and I thought I'd chime in on their performance. I'll follow Ted's original review format and add my own comments. My setup with the Sierras is Moode Audio running on a Raspberry Pi 4b, streaming into a Topping E30 DAC in pure DAC mode into an Academy Audio preamp then into dual mono Hypex NC400s into the 2EXs.

I've owned two audiophile monitors sets since I started in the hobby 20 years ago. Both had exceptional imaging, dynamics and richness. The first were Dunlavy SM1 studio monitors. The second were Alon Acarian 1s. The SM1s were the fastest, best imaging monitors I'd ever heard. Amazingly the 2EXs almost exactly match them in that respect.

The Alon 1s are dipoles and have the most amazing holography with the ability to project the sound stage behind you. With well-recorded live music the 2EXs equal if not exceed them in this respect. I tested the 2EXs with an ambiphonic recording of a nature setting with birds flying around a lake and the room became the lakefront and I was completely surrounded. I could identify individual birds and their species as they slowly flew by. Stunning.

So in my mind the 2EXs are like a combination of a Dunlavy SM1 and an Alon 1 with tighter, more extended bass -- except, and this is totally subjective, they are more musical. I think its due to that amazing RAAL ribbon tweeter and its almost magical cohesion with the Seas woofer creating accurate sweetness combined with rock-solid pacing

That tweeter is so accurate, but never harsh. Bells sound exactly like bells. Saxaphones and trumpets are sweet and accurate. I have a few recordings that mix trumpets and cornets and you can clearly hear which is which, who the the manufacturer is and what kind of bell they have (76 LA Benge and 1934 Olds Standard for the curious). Guitars are airy and sensuous.

I listen to about 70% Jazz/Fusion, 20% Rock and 10% classical. One of the first albums I tested was Bob Curnos LA Big Band performance of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays tunes. It really stretched the 2EXs and they shined. Reproduction of complex human vocals and acapella is amazing in Cadence's renditions of Feeling Groovy and Spinning Wheel. Turn on the 200 wpc NC400s, give the 2EXs enough juice and they rock out without break up (be careful). Spin some Yes/Fragile/Roundabout, RUSH (anything) or early Chicago (Brand New Love Affair, Dialog Parts 1 and 2) and... wow. Energy, dynamics, separation and pace all day long.

So I love these things more than some relatives. No they aren't free, but they *are* a great deal on a slice of sonic bliss and an example of great craftsmanship so rare these days. Thanks Dave!

Nice review Jim!

theophile
12-23-2022, 09:07 AM

Jim

Excellent Review and Welcome to the Ascend Acoustic Forum!! After living with My Sierra-2EX these past 2 years, I can appreciate and concur with all of the positive sonic attributes you so well stated!

These past 18 months, I've introduced component/setup changes that have taken the 2EX monitors to even "greater and on-going consistent" sonic levels of Live-I-Am-There presentations (in the recorded venue). Contributors are a new GaNFET Class-D Power amp Starkrimson (https://orchardaudio.com/product/starkrismon_stereo_ultra_500w_stereo_amp/), new Speaker cables SP7 (https://www.morrowaudio.com/collections/speaker-cable-pair/products/sp7-speaker-cable-pair-865-ssi-wires), directly driving the power amp from my Philips CD880 player variable outputs (no other pre-amp in the component chain), and driving the sub high level inputs (from power amp outputs)! The synergistic balance and combination of these changes constantly blows-my-mind with precise 3D holographics and transient realism that closely replicates live acoustical music!

With the new Klippel NFS V2 Crossover development and all of the very positive owner reviews, I received my V2 X-Overs and broke them in for 300 hours of music playback. I did find (as Dave and others have stated) the lateral soundstage (left to right) is better defined and more open and the midrange has a little more detailed transients. However to My Ears (and components-room acoustics-genre of music), the V1 X-over offers a soundstage that is at least "Twice as Deep (and as wide)" as the V2, with Precise Instrumental/Vocal Midrange placements that are "Extremely Real and Natural in tonality, timbre, air and transients"!!

As I've recently mentioned to Dave, The V1 iteration of the original Sierra-2EX, to me, is more musically pleasing. Re-inserting the V1 X-overs back in the 2EX cabinets brought back all the jaw dropping, breath catching, emotionally involving, ho.. sh.., teary eyed, system total disappearance, transported to the venue hall Listening Sessions!! As Dave suggest, these differences I hear may be due to my preference for speakers that are not as neutral (ref:2EX w/V2 X-overs). That may be true, but I Also Do Hear what in my setup Sounds Accurate and Live as per my real world unamplified acoustical performance experiences!!! :cool:

Ted
https://i.postimg.cc/4xD3FRTC/Ted-s-2-1-Music-Room-Front-Wall.jpg (https://postimg.cc/87bDj35w)

Jim Burnes
12-27-2022, 12:23 PM
As I've recently mentioned to Dave, The V1 iteration of the original Sierra-2EX, to me, is more musically pleasing. Re-inserting the V1 X-overs back in the 2EX cabinets brought back all the jaw dropping, breath catching, emotionally involving, ho.. sh.., teary eyed, system total disappearance, transported to the venue hall
Ted
https://i.postimg.cc/4xD3FRTC/Ted-s-2-1-Music-Room-Front-Wall.jpg (https://postimg.cc/87bDj35w)

Glad that I've got the V1 xovers then.

BTW: I'm setting up a home theater in the basement and after pricing out some high end Klipsch gear i figured I might consider Ascend for the job as it would likely beat the klipsch stuff on price as well as peerformance. One thing that I would really like though would be a Duo / D'Appolito variant of the 2EX for LCR duty. The current Duos are cute but a little small for my space. A 2EX Duo would be like a beefier Dunlavy SM1 and just big enough for my room. Two of the Seas 6" per speaker would support both 2 channel stereo and demanding LCR tasks of home theater. I could use smaller ascends for surround channels.

curtis
12-27-2022, 12:34 PM
BTW: I'm setting up a home theater in the basement and after pricing out some high end Klipsch gear i figured I might consider Ascend for the job as it would likely beat the klipsch stuff on price as well as peerformance. One thing that I would really like though would be a Duo / D'Appolito variant of the 2EX for LCR duty. The current Duos are cute but a little small for my space. A 2EX Duo would be like a beefier Dunlavy SM1 and just big enough for my room. Two of the Seas 6" per speaker would support both 2 channel stereo and demanding LCR tasks of home theater. I could use smaller ascends for surround channels.
How big is the space?

davef
12-27-2022, 05:12 PM

Wonderful review Jim and thank you. I have moved your review into its own dedicated thread. This is generally how we handle review posts.

The review is here:

https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7731-Sierra-2EX-Review&p=70601#post70601

Please direct any comments / questions regarding this review at its new location.

Thanks!

davef
12-27-2022, 05:20 PM
Glad that I've got the V1 xovers then.

Hi Jim,

Please don't disregard the Sierra-2EX V2 upgrade based on Ted's comments. Ted has a good ear, but he also prefers speakers with rising treble, which is easy for me to conclude based on the speakers of ours he loved, and the ones he did not love.

We have now had over 300+ customers upgrade from Sierra-2EX to Sierra-2EX V2 and so far, Ted is the only customer who actually prefers the original version compared to the V2 (and that is perfectly OK). In fact, we never expected the overwhelming feedback on the V2 upgrade nor did we expect to sell as many of the V2 upgrade kits as we are.

From a purely objective standpoint, the Sierra-2EX V2 is the better speaker, and to my ears and the majority of our Sierra-2EX customers, also better sounding as well.

We priced the V2 upgrades very fairly and they are not a profit center for us (I think I might have made a mistake in that regard ;) ) - so I am not trying to sell something to you (that isn't what I do) - but, based on measurements and the vast majority of listeners - statistically speaking, there is over a 99% chance you will prefer the V2 version.

theophile
02-02-2023, 01:26 PM
...As I've recently mentioned to Dave, The V1 iteration of the original Sierra-2EX, to me, is more musically pleasing...As Dave suggest, these differences I hear may be due to my preference for speakers that are not as neutral (ref:2EX w/V2 X-overs). That may be true, but I also do hear what in my setup sounds accurate and live as per my real world unamplified acoustical performance experiences!!!

...Please don't disregard the Sierra-2EX V2 upgrade based on Ted's comments. Ted has a good ear, but he also prefers speakers with rising treble, which is easy for me to conclude based on the speakers of ours he loved, and the ones he did not love.

Of course, Dave is absolutely correct Jim! Sorry if I have mislead you (or others) into thinking that the EX-V2 versions that are so well received (due to Dave's hard work and dedication), are not worth the upgrade...They Are!

Your 2EX review details seem to parallel my overall musical experiences, thus I felt compelled to generally state my upgrade activities at possibly improving 2-channel sonic reproduction fidelity! I don't know the full details of your listening room acoustics (IMO, easily 50% of the final sonic fidelity presentation), or your hearing physiology capabilities (@69, my hearing above 15KHz drops quickly, but recent audio-metric testing shows my sensitivity is still at 0db from 2KHz to 8KHZ)!

Undoubtedly, My dedicated room acoustics + My music genre I listen to + My synergistic component balances (including the Sierra-2EX V1) + My Ears are why I made the choice I did! As Always, I speak for myself, but definitely encourage any other audiophiles/music lovers to Try Dave's newest Klippel-NFS V2 X-overs for Yourself!

I'm just the 1% odd-ball who appreciates and respects the changes arrived at but for whatever reasons, find that the original custom Tuned-By-Ear V1 crossover Dave created sounds best To Me for My system and unique music room!

Ted

Mag_Neato
02-03-2023, 04:52 AM
Took some REW measurements last night. My Sierra-2EX's with V2 upgrade, crossed at 80hz to my dual Rythmik F12's. I took Left speaker only W/subs, Right W/subs, and combined. There is no EQ from 80hz and up. The subs are running from a MiniDSP 2x4HD. I recently switched from a Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC to just using the DAC in the Parasound P6. I also recently added a Auralex SubDude II under one sub, and SVS Soundpath isolation footers under the other sub, so the original sub EQ/correction in the MiniDSP probably needs to be redone as is evident by the apparent drop off down low. However, the bass loads the room so well it still sounds fantastic. Those NFS optimized Sierra-2EX V2 crossovers sure look nice!