PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer with speaker or high level inputs

audiomaniac
10-18-2020, 05:06 PM
Hi-

I've been using Sierra 2 speakers with a 2 channel music only system for the last year or so. I would like to add a sub like a Rythmik but only have a tape out on my preamp.

Do any of the Rythmik subs have a speaker inputs? Other than that, are there any tricks that I can use?

Thanks

Mag_Neato
10-19-2020, 04:40 AM
https://emotiva.com/collections/airmotiv/products/airmotiv-se12-subwoofer

The only sub I can think offhand that you can connect via high level (speaker) inputs that will apply a high pass filter internally is this one from Emotiva.

That's not to say you couldn't make a Rythmik work, and I am completely in favor of a Rythmik, just not sure how to hook one up and get the correct filtering without adding a MiniDSP or something similar.

racrawford65
10-19-2020, 06:28 AM
Looking at the Rythmik site (standard size amps), they have several amplifiers that have speaker level inputs.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html

You may either want to chat with Dina/Dave or Brian/Enrico (Rythmik) on options for subs.

Mag_Neato
10-19-2020, 06:38 AM
The most important thing you want to be able to do is have high pass filtering for your main speakers to cut out bass to them at the crossover frequency. My preamp (Parasound P5) has High & Low pass filters built in so I do not rely on my Rythmik to do that.

Definitely speak with Dave or give Brian at Rythmik a call to see if there are good options.

audiomaniac
10-19-2020, 09:07 AM
OK, I'm getting the picture. So I was looking at a REL that connects to your amp with their cable. But that appears to not have a high pass filter, it just supplements the bass. You are all talking about getting a sub with a high pass filter that cuts off the lower frequencies to the main speakers which makes more sense.

davef
10-19-2020, 10:50 PM
Hi-

I've been using Sierra 2 speakers with a 2 channel music only system for the last year or so. I would like to add a sub like a Rythmik but only have a tape out on my preamp.

Do any of the Rythmik subs have a speaker inputs? Other than that, are there any tricks that I can use?

Thanks

Hi Audiomaniac,

Rythmik does offer a model with an amp that has high level inputs. It isn't listed on our website, but we are happy to assist you with this.

Please free to give us a call :)