PDA

View Full Version : New Owner/Member - Non HT Setup recommendations?

JBKB
05-14-2020, 10:01 AM
Good day all! My F15HP just arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm stoked! I've checked out the Sticky thread regarding initial setup recommendations, but I'm not going to be using an AVR. Just 2.1 audio. My equipment list, room size, etc are listed below. Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment to be able to take accurate sound measurements, so I'm looking for opinions regarding the best settings for audio only. Ultimately, I realize it should be set to whatever sounds best...I'm just looking for a jumping off point.

Room size is 11'8" x 23'8"
Speakers are Klipsch Heresy I's spaced 3.25' from each side wall and 5.27' from the back wall. These measurements were based on using an online golden cuboid calculator based on the room dimensions.
Amplifier is a Yamaha A-S1100 using RCA from pre-out to sub.
Sub is placed about 6" from the back and side wall in the rear left corner.

If I've overlooked this info already posted elsewhere, I apologize.
Thanks for any info, input, criticism or suggestions!

Here's a pic of the space...

chas
05-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Nice relaxing listening space!

Jack1949
05-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Congrats on your new sub. I believe @enricoclaudio should be able to answer any Rythmik setup questions you may have.

racrawford65
05-15-2020, 01:56 AM
Which amp is your sub equipped with?
Does your Yamaha have bass management (I quickly looked at the Yamaha site and I don't think so)?

The Rythmik Site provides amplifier guides with recommended settings.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F15HP.html

Assuming no bass management in the Yamaha, probably best to use the LINE IN on the sub.
Limiter on
PEQ off
Low Pass 80/24 (assuming your speakers are small)
Rumble on (especially for vinyl)
Crossover 80
Volume - to integrate with your speakers (there are SPL apps for smart phones. better than nothing for level matching)
Damping - hi (for music, my preference)
extension - I use 14; you should try others

If your bass sounds boomy, you may need to move the sub out of the corner a bit more.

JBKB
05-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Thank you for taking your time to provide some direction!
I was pretty close to what you recommended except had Damping set to off, and also scooted the sub a little farther out from the corner, man does this thing sound good! Very musical and tight whereas my previous no-name sub was always 'mushy'. Since the Heresy's lose some bass being so far out of the corner, I moved the crossover to about 70ish which helped a lot.
I have no doubt I'll continue to mess with the settings, but I'm really enjoying this upgrade.
Thanks again for the reply!

racrawford65
05-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Glad I could help. Enjoy.

What TT is that?

JBKB
05-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Thanks! AT-LP7 turntable with AT-VM750SH cart/stylus running through a Parks Audio Puffin phono preamp. The Yamaha has both MM/MC pre amp, but the Puffin lets me dial in a whole ton of options which is helpful for old bluegrass records, and playing with various cartridge settings...though it might spurn criticism from analog purists.

racrawford65
05-20-2020, 04:23 PM
Nice. I looked at the Puffin a few days ago. Nice unit - latest beta firmware has an interesting new feature (Magic, pop & click remover). I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Sugar Cube (which is impressive -- I have one in my analog setup which I use on occasion for those albums that have too many pops/clicks that even good cleanings won't remove.

Pogre
05-26-2020, 10:14 AM
Now that setup looks to me like someone did their homework and put actual effort into placement and layout. Great job man. I'll bet it sounds awesome!