PDA

View Full Version : Any new higher end models on the way?

audionut101
02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Just curious if you guys are planning any new higher end models in the near future?

ClutchBrake
02-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Hehe. I've begged and pleaded as well as offered up money sight unseen to no avail. I just keep checking back day after day.

Quinn
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I just loggged on and the top topic is "availibility of new Ascend..." with James' name by it and my heart started racing as I eagerly went to see what Dave will give us next. Alas, it was not to be the subject was the new logo.

Eddie Horton
02-01-2005, 01:11 PM
A new floor standing model would be mmmmmm mmmmmmm good. Something from about 35Hz up. I'll double whatever money ClutchBrake is offering.

Kpt_Krunch
02-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I dunno guys - I think what David has is pretty good already! Match it up with a good sub and you'll beat any current Floor stander out there in comparable price. That being said - for those 2-channel purist's who want a full range speaker........;)

davef
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the nice comments!

Well, lets just say that I am *always* working on something.... ;)

Eddie Horton
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
That's it???!!!!??? You're killing me. That being said, the 340's and 170's paired with a sub or two has been impossible for me to beat for HT and multi-channel music for anything close to what I paid for my Ascends, but it would be nice to have some Ascend floor standers for use as mains. That way, you get great HT, multi-channel, and 2 channel. Not that I'm complaining about what I have......it's just that I have that male gene which forces me to want more stuff.

bikeman
02-01-2005, 05:06 PM
"for those 2-channel purist's who want a full range speaker........"

The 340's are all I'll want for home theatre but I sure would like some ear candy for two channel.

David

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Always working on something, eh?

I know the topic of dipoles has come up before and I think that was the answer to that one as well. :)

It would be interesting to see a more full range from Ascend.

Ben_Wood
02-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I can honestly say that I'm so pleased with my CMT-340c and 4 CBM-170s that the thought of a possible upgrade hasn't crossed my mind, and I've had the Ascends for over three years. I wish I was as satisfied with the video portion of my home theater as I am with the audio side!

Shrubman
02-01-2005, 06:11 PM
As a new member, please forgive me if this has been asked to death.

Can I assume from the above posts that even Ascend fans don't trust a pair of 340s to achor a system without a sub? I was considering putting a system together over time, starting with 2 channel capability and moving towards full HT.

bikeman
02-01-2005, 06:41 PM
For the money, the Ascend's are excellent for two channel. When we talk about a new speaker for two channel, we're talking LOTS more money. There are always tradeoffs. When we add money to the equation, there's a few fewer tradeoffs. That's about it.
A fuller range speaker would be better in my two channel layout. That's why I'm rooting for Dave F. to go in that direction. Even in my HT, I still listen to music about half the time. The 340's still put a smile on my face.

David

davef
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi Shrubman.... and welcome!

Can I assume from the above posts that even Ascend fans don't trust a pair of 340s to achor a system without a sub?

This is quite coincidental... Although I probably don't count as an Ascend fan, I was just telling another member today that I removed my subwoofer from my home system (340 mains + center).... and I am loving it, especially for home theater. In my room, which would be considered large, I am getting some impressive bass easily down to the 48 hz range with nice impact.

I removed the sub as I was finding it too distracting. I am sure I will eventually add it back into my personal system (when I miss the real deep bass), but right now I find that without the deep bass, the frequency range that is being reproduced is more articulate..

With the important benefit of being able to watch a movie in the evening :D

While I would not label the 340 as a true "full range" speaker.... I can assure you they handle themselves quite nicely when receiving a full range signal...

davef
02-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey Brad

I know the topic of dipoles has come up before and I think that was the answer to that one as well. :)

It would be interesting to see a more full range from Ascend.

if I remember, we did talk about dipoles a while back. Strange thing is, in the past year while our sales and email inquiries have increased, the requests for dipole speakers have dramatically decreased....

Something more full-range? Would you still use a subwoofer?

I really hate to publicly discuss exactly what I am working on... Can I just say that I have been busy? :rolleyes:

Took me years to release the CBM-170.... this remarkable speaker, that would be considered at the end of its lifecycle (compared to most typical loudspeakers), sells more now than ever before... I like to do things right the first time, you know.... :p

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Just some good natured poking David. ;) Truth be told (and I've said this many times before), I am more interested in a wood finished Ascend setup than new Ascend models. Although I do like the idea of floor standers for the visual appeal and convenience. I like the stands Curtis has, but the stock 340 stands aren't my thing. I know some people think I'm stuck on this issue, but it just shows that I like the sound so much that I'm not looking to improve it.

The interest (and it's just an idle one) in more full range would be for two channel with no sub.

I'm surprised at your comments on a sub, but I'm also coming from CBM-170s and not 340s. I think when it's dialed it in right, it sounds fantastic with a sub. I wouldn't remove mine unless I either knew the music didn't go too low, or was listening nearfield.

davef
02-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Brad...

I'm surprised at your comments on a sub, but I'm also coming from CBM-170s and not 340s. I think when it's dialed it in right, it sounds fantastic with a sub.

Yup.. I am surprised by my comments as well... The 340s will play lower and with improved dynamics compared to the 170s so that might explain some of it.

However, I can probably attribute some of what I am finding annoying about using a sub (and I have Hsu, SVS, and a host of others) is that most recording engineers are simply over-doing it on the bass. I suspect many of them feel the more bass the better, but lately I have found the bass tracks in many DVD movies annoyingly distracting, overpowering so that other detail during this bass passages are missed. Sure, turning the subwoofer to a lower volume helps, as does lowering the crossover frequency, but the proper balance is never maintained from one DVD to the next.

I would love it if there was some form of standardization to the LFE track.

Don't misunderstand me.. I love deep bass, but perhaps after 20 years of listening, I am finding it easier to listen without it, then with it...

Important to remember.. Our eardrums are thin membranes that resonate with sound waves (how we hear)... Deep bass will cause much greater movement of this membrane such that if we are "hearing" deep bass signals at the same time as hearing smaller wavelengths (higher frequencies), the higher frequency translation is modulated by the larger wavelengths thus resulting in decreased detail and accuracy....

Of course, both the CBM-170 and CMT-340 were designed to be used with a subwoofer (of which, as you noted, when paired together they will work exceptionally well) but for me, and for right now, I am just enjoying more critical listening.

GoDeacs94
02-01-2005, 08:17 PM
New Member here, working on pulling the trigger. My biggest issue is surround mounting. an in wall or on wall version of either the 170 or 200 would be a WAF homerun for a lot of us I am sure!

Waddya say David?

bt

eRob
02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
New Member here, working on pulling the trigger. My biggest issue is surround mounting. an in wall or on wall version of either the 170 or 200 would be a WAF homerun for a lot of us I am sure!

Waddya say David?

bt

I thought you could wall mount both.

GoDeacs94
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Mounting isn't the issue, rather a black box sticking out a foot from the side wall as you walk into a room.

I am not saying this is a deal killer, but it is not the cleanest solution and will take a bit more "negotiation".

bt

eRob
02-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Mounting isn't the issue, rather a black box sticking out a foot from the side wall as you walk into a room.

I am not saying this is a deal killer, but it is not the cleanest solution and will take a bit more "negotiation".

bt

I see what your saying. A speaker that is made to be used as a suround speaker . That's a good idea. Not sure why they haven't thought of that yet or maybe they have.

Kpt_Krunch
02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I think a CBM-170 mounted on the wall looks pretty :) - and it sounds even better than it looks!!

curtis
02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Brad...you already have some of the best looking CBM-170's. Can I persuade you to post a pic for the newer members?

Have you thought about doing matching stands for them?

BradJudy
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Brad...you already have some of the best looking CBM-170's. Can I persuade you to post a pic for the newer members?

Have you thought about doing matching stands for them?

I'll post a pic in a minute. I have actually thought about making matching stands since I have extra veneer. Probably something that looks a lot like yours, but with my veneer. It was a lot of work, so I haven't decided yet. Since it would have to wait for better weather anyway, I have some time to think about it.

The other thought is seeing if DaveF will send me bare 340s and make a pair that matches my 170s. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough veneer to do 340 and stands, although 340s with my veneer on gloss black stands would look pretty slick.

BradJudy
02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Here's a pic. If we get gallery space I'll upload stuff. At the moment, I have a number of things in my AV123 gallery space here (most of it is in the sub-albums listed at the top): http://forum.av123.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=210&cat=500&thumb=1

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/Ascend_bear.JPG

ClutchBrake
02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I'd say I'm one of the more vocal people when it comes to wanting more products from Ascend. Dave is probably tired of me bringing it up every few months! :D While it may be an annoyance I only bring it up because the 340s just aren't going to cut it in my next setup.

Right now I have a 5.1 setup consisting of five 340s and an SVS 20-39 PCi. I power it with a Denon 3803. My room is sealed and measures 14W x 20L. For the money I couldn't be happier with my setup.

I really like my Ascends. I want Ascends in my next home theater. I certainly don't mean it as an insult when I say the 340s won't cut it in my new setup. It's just that my next setup will be my no compromises setup. Front projector, infinite baffle subwoofer, separates, recliner seating, the works. As of right now the speaker system that tops my list for movie reproduction is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA. I'm sure others prefer something different, and I may find something too, but right now to my ears I've heard nothing better.

When I push for new Ascend products I do it merely because I want to continue supporting Ascend with my own wallet. I have and will continue to support them with recommendations when the situation calls for it. Unfortunately most of my friends are cheap bastards. ;) I can only hope my online recommendations are more productive for Dave & company.

S_rangeBrew
02-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Yup.. I am surprised by my comments as well... The 340s will play lower and with improved dynamics compared to the 170s so that might explain some of it.

However, I can probably attribute some of what I am finding annoying about using a sub (and I have Hsu, SVS, and a host of others) is that most recording engineers are simply over-doing it on the bass.

Have you looked into Infinite Baffle subs? After doing a lot of reading and research on them, it seems many folks who have always been dissapointed with other subs, try an "IB" and are converted instantly. Supposedly, they add *no* color to the sound compared with box subs. Supreme accuracy, and the ability to go below 10hz! (What that is good for, I don't know) They also have the advantage of taking up no space in your listening area, as they are mounted in the attic or basement.

Disadvantages: Need rudimentary DIY skills, need an adjoining space to your listening room (basement, attic, garage, storage area) that is big enough to act as a infinite baffle.

I was about to buy an expensive box sub, but after reading up on IB, it's a no-brainer for my situation, since I have a full basement under my listening room.

Check it out: The Cult of the Infinitly Baffled (http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm)

curtis
02-02-2005, 12:45 PM
In a certain sense.....if you get those M&K S-150's, Dave will still be part of your HT. :D

It would certainly be interesting to hear what Dave and Ascend could do if they charged that kind of money for a speaker.

When you say "no compromises"....you do have a budget though, right?

curtis
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
The other thought is seeing if DaveF will send me bare 340s and make a pair that matches my 170s. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough veneer to do 340 and stands, although 340s with my veneer on gloss black stands would look pretty slick.

I agree.....that veneer with gloss black stands would look real nice!!

Quinn
02-02-2005, 01:29 PM
As of right now the speaker system that tops my list for movie reproduction is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA.

You might be in for a real surprise as to how similiar those are to the 170s.

ClutchBrake
02-02-2005, 01:45 PM
In a certain sense.....if you get those M&K S-150's, Dave will still be part of your HT. :D

It would certainly be interesting to hear what Dave and Ascend could do if they charged that kind of money for a speaker.

When you say "no compromises"....you do have a budget though, right?

Interesting comment. With my current setup the two finalists were the Ascend setup and the M&K 750 MK II THX SELECT.

Well, I don't necessarily want Dave to charge that kind of money for a speaker. I want Dave & Co. to charge less and offer the same performance! :)

This isn't something I'm going to be doing in the near future. I'm talking five years down the road or more. I've barely lived where I am now for a year.

When I say no compromises I mean I am going to get what sounds best to me. Right now that is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA setup. Lists for about $4K and can likely be had with a nice discount. That is my idea of not compromising. I'm sure there are much more expensive speakers out there but I'll likely never be exposed to them.

My no compromises standard is different that that of most, I'm sure. When I say no compromises I mean it as a middle class guy, not someone who has money. For example, my idea of a no compromises sports car is a C6 Corvette, not a million dollar import.

I can guarantee you I make far less money than most of you. The difference is I have no wife or children to support. :)

jamesg
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
My standard is champagne taste on a beer budget.

demunb
02-05-2005, 09:24 AM
maybe it's just me, but I've never had dipole surrounds. Since my HT is movies only I'd love to try a pair. If Ascend made dipoles I can guarantee they'd sell at least one pair :)

eRob
02-05-2005, 04:23 PM
maybe it's just me, but I've never had dipole surrounds. Since my HT is movies only I'd love to try a pair. If Ascend made dipoles I can guarantee they'd sell at least one pair :)

What makes dipoles better? I don't know anything about them.

bikeman
02-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Dipoles are not better. They're different. They're not for everyone, including me or for every situation. Listen and then decide.

David

demunb
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Like David said, they're not inherently better, just different. Dipole speakers have drivers that do not face directly forward- usually they have a driver facing front and another facing back. they are pointed so that no sound comes directly at you, but sort of envelopes you. Lots of companies produce dipoles for surround duty because of this diffuse presentation for the rear channels. There's lots of debate about this topic but you'll find devotees in both camps.

My comments are based on the fact that I've never owned dipoles, but if Ascend came out with some I'd try them in my movie room. Most people I've talked to prefer a direct radiator for multi-channel music, but for movies it seems to be a toss up.

Others with more knowledge can chime in with specifics.

metalaaron
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
it goes back to a common theme - speakers are personal

i prefer direct firing for many reasons.

I want pin-point, head turning, accurate surround sound. Directs combined with current surround sound technologies deliver that experience for me.

Jonnyozero3
02-06-2005, 09:53 PM
....but for me, and for right now, I am just enjoying more critical listening.

Dave! Critical listening!?! Are you maybe *testing* something....*new*????

Sorry...I love my conspiracy theories :)

Anyhow...more on topic: my vote would be for a dedicated surround that could be mounted flush to a wall like the 200. Versatility is huge for a surround I think. Maybe something that is both direct & multipolar...oh yeah...switchable! Or maybe a hybrid like those weird Mirage Omnisats (never heard them but saw good reviews). I understand more drivers=more cost, but if they're not much more than about $350 a pair, I'd be very happy.

I say: Quick speaker designing to you!

:)
Jon O.

audionut101
02-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Dave- my vote is also for a surround...BUT how about a multi-drive tripole design.....something you should be quite familar with AND something I bet you can probably improve upon.

eRob
02-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I was reading some of the older threads and Dave said he's working on a new surround speaker. That was back in 2003 so maybe they will have it done soon.

Jonnyozero3
02-08-2005, 06:39 AM
I hope so, I want to buy in the next few months. Oh that would be great.

I remember bugging dave about a surround back in the old forums, but I thought it would be good to bother him some more about it :D

Quinn
02-08-2005, 06:56 AM
Dave has pretty much said no di/bi-pole is in the works because he gets very few requests for them.

"if I remember, we did talk about dipoles a while back. Strange thing is, in the past year while our sales and email inquiries have increased, the requests for dipole speakers have dramatically decreased.... " http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showpost.php?p=6193&postcount=14