PDA

View Full Version : availability of new Ascend logos

Ben_Wood
01-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey David, what is the latest word on the new and improved Ascend logos?

Mag_Neato
01-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Yeah....I was just thinking about that yesterday while dusting off my 170's!

jamesg
02-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Please read the newly-posted announcement in the "Announcements" category. We'll take care of you asap!

Abhi
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Please provide us the serial number for each speaker.
Nice to know the new logos are ready! My surround speakers (CBM-170s)are wall mounted and it'd be hard to see the serial# on its back. I'm sure there'd be many people in similar situation. Is it okay to send the serial #s of just the front speakers?

jamesg
02-01-2005, 10:43 AM
We're pretty easy to work with. That's an understandable concern, Abhi. I would suggest that if you saved your invoice, you can find the serial numbers of each speaker there. If not, then don't knock yourself out removing the speaker from the mount. Just send us what you can and specify how many logos you'll need.

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 11:36 AM
James,

On a similar note, my CMT-340 is a pre-production unit that has no serial number. :D Hopefully I can just put a note to that effect along with the serial numbers from my other 6 speakers?

Thanks,

Brad

jamesg
02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Duly noted, Brad.

The envelope send us and taken care of you shall be.

/Yoda

Kpt_Krunch
02-01-2005, 04:59 PM
If you are interested in obtaining (free of charge) one logo for each speaker that you own, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope (2 stamps please) to:

James - how 'bout us Canucks? Not sure of the postage required for you to mail them up here to me (or how to go about obtaining US stamps up here, as I don't think Canadian stamps would work if point of origin was in the US). Would you accept a Canadian check (with US conversion factored in of course)?

Thanks!

jermy4
02-01-2005, 05:12 PM
What do these new logos look like? I still don't have my Ascends yet, so I don't really know what the old ones look like either. :rolleyes:

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 05:31 PM
What do these new logos look like? I still don't have my Ascends yet, so I don't really know what the old ones look like either. :rolleyes:

The new one looks like the logo in the upper left corner of the site. The old one looks like an 80s metal band logo. :D :eek:

curtis
02-01-2005, 05:55 PM
best I could do...... :D

http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/15201875-M.jpg
http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/15201874-M.jpg

jermy4
02-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Thanks Curtis.

BillS
02-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Just sent off for mine. Can't wait for them to arrive.....

Bill

Mag_Neato
02-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Dumb question, but....

is a letter size S.A.S.E. required, or can we use a regular size envelope(smaller)?

jamesg
02-03-2005, 08:32 AM
James - how 'bout us Canucks? Not sure of the postage required for you to mail them up here to me (or how to go about obtaining US stamps up here, as I don't think Canadian stamps would work if point of origin was in the US). Would you accept a Canadian check (with US conversion factored in of course)?

Thanks!

This is a tricky subject. On the one hand, I can't just throw you Canucks a freebie at the expense of us hard-working Americans--just not fair. On the other hand, it's such a trivial amount of cash that a check is more of a hassle than it's worth.

I'll tell you what Kpt, and all your compadres north of our border, we'll invoke the honor system. If you come across any loose US change or a US dollar bill, just slip that in the SASE and I'll purchase the postage on my end. If too much time goes by without coming across any US money, then just send the SASE.

Let's give that a try. :D

jamesg
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Dumb question, but....

is a letter size S.A.S.E. required, or can we use a regular size envelope(smaller)?

"The only dumb question is the one you don't ask." Mrs. Rinear, 7th grade math teacher

Any old SASE will do.

jamesg
02-03-2005, 08:38 AM
The old one looks like an 80s metal band logo. :D :eek:

I guess it wouldn't be ironic then that the two guys who designed the old logo list among their favorite bands Metallica, Van Halen and Iron Maiden. :cool:

Let it never be said that we're not open to new (and improved!) ideas here.

Mag_Neato
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Okay jamesg...

I'm at work ready to drop the envelope in the mail and I realize I did not put the Serial No.'s with it........D'oh!!

Can you guys look up the No.'s and match them to me? (1) pair CBM-170's.

Thanks

Quinn
02-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I understand the logos aren't free but is the market for the new Ascend logos such that proof of serial numbers is needed? I guess I should be watching ebay to see what the highly collectible Ascend logos go for. Hmmm, I wonder what the "retired" logo will fetch.

bikeman
02-03-2005, 12:10 PM
" Hmmm, I wonder what the "retired" logo will fetch."

Before I put mine on ebay, I feel I owe it to my fellow forum members to offer two retired logos at substantial discount. For all of you it's just $29.95 and that includes shipping and insurance. For the next 48 hours, no additonal charge for our Canadian members.
Hurry! This offer is limited to the first victim, I mean caller.

:D

David

jamesg
02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Did I detect a note of sarcasm in the last few posts? :eek:

Hey, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. :p

Mag, I'll let the serial # thing slide just this once. Let's not make a habit of it, shall we everyone?

Mag_Neato
02-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!! I'm humbly greatful, Sir!

davef
02-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Yeah.... I know.. the Serial # thing is somewhat of a hassle. Your customer ID off your invoice from us would work just as well, provided you let us know just how many new logos you need...

The problem is not the expense (our logos are made in the USA and are not inexpensive), it is simply a matter of inventory. Hate to run out of logos well before our forecasts indicate :rolleyes: ... Probably happen anyway ;)

Hey quinn and bikeman, I've got a few of the "old ones" laying around too.. let me know what you fetch on Ebay...

Quinn
02-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Dave you trying to kill our market? It is not "old ones" it is "Classic Ascend" logos.

Ben_Wood
02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Will be mailing off my request for 5 new logos tomorrow. Has anyone had any problems removing the logos, any tips?

Kpt_Krunch
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
This is a tricky subject. On the one hand, I can't just throw you Canucks a freebie at the expense of us hard-working Americans--just not fair. On the other hand, it's such a trivial amount of cash that a check is more of a hassle than it's worth.

I'll tell you what Kpt, and all your compadres north of our border, we'll invoke the honor system. If you come across any loose US change or a US dollar bill, just slip that in the SASE and I'll purchase the postage on my end. If too much time goes by without coming across any US money, then just send the SASE.

Let's give that a try. :D

Well -I have 50 pesos from my last trip to Mexico - but that won't do it either I don't think :)

Seriously, we do get loose change all the time up here. Would about $3 cover off the expense? I should have it realitively soon! Thanks James!!!

jamesg
02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I realized I should have written "envelope" instead of "SASE" if you can't scare up the US change for a stamp.

Two stamps cost $0.74 American until the rates go up. Again, it's not about the money (doesn't that mean it's always about the money!?), it's about being consistent. If you drop a dollar bill in the mail, I'll provide change.

jamesg
02-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Will be mailing off my request for 5 new logos tomorrow. Has anyone had any problems removing the logos, any tips?

Just peel off the old logo. You'll see a pattern of glue points on the grill fabric. Remove the backing from the new logos (a utility knife works well, as does a fingernail). Align and center the new logo over the old glue points. If you would like to better secure the logo to the grille, turn the grille over and apply a few drops of "school" type clear glue. Leave the grille inverted as the glue sinks into the fabric for 30 minutes or so while it dries.

Voila! No more "classic Ascend" logo, it's a brand new millenium! Now go resell those classic logos for all they're worth! Remember to send us our cut.

Mag_Neato
02-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Are the new logos acoustically transparent like the "Classic" logos?

Mag_Neato
02-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Any estimates on turnaround time for the new logos once Ascend receives our envelopes? (gimme a break........this will be the only thing I have received from Ascend since my 170's 2 1/2 years ago!)

jamesg
02-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Turnaround time on logos:

The amount of time it takes USPS to deliver the envelope from us to you!

[I've kicked the procrastination habit--SASEs I receive are going out no later than the next day....]

jermy4
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
James,

Is it safe to assume that the 170s I just ordered will have the new logos?

Thanks,

JR

Lou-the-dog
02-10-2005, 06:15 PM

I"ll send my two year old over and he will quickly and "professionally" remove them for you...just like he did mine!

jamesg
02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Is it safe to assume that the 170s I just ordered will have the new logos?

JR

All speakers shipped after the middle of January 2005 have the new logos. Hope you enjoy!

Cliff_L
02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Received my new logos today!! Wow! Thanks for the super-quick turnaround!!! I think I sent off for them at or around the date when it was first mentioned. What awesome service. :)

Mag_Neato
02-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Got 'em yesterday when I got home from work.

A bit larger than the originals, but much more hi-end looking....nice!

Peeled off the originals, lined up the new ones and stuck them on. No problems at all removing the old logos.

Thanks Ascend!

Ben_Wood
02-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Received my new logos today in the mail! Thanks to David, James, and Co. for your customer service before, during , and after the sales. Excuse me, I have some rebadging to do!

jamesg
02-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Close to the Edge is one of my all-time faves. Siberian Khatru is the definition of a$$-kicking music. Steve Howe is hands-down the most underrated guitarist in rock history. All my most humble opinions, of course.

Re Logos: Glad to be o' service!

Ben_Wood
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Man, those are some sharp-looking logos! Is it my imagination or do my Ascends sound EVEN better now? James, glad to hear you're a Yes fan; if you have not seen the dvd "Yes Symphonic Live" do yourself a tremendous favor and get this disc as soon as possible!

jamesg
02-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the tip, Ben. We Yes fans must stick together. I shall consult the Oracle of Amazon forthwith.

Just for the record, the new logos DO NOT influence the acoustic performance of the speakers in any way. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming....

Abhi
03-10-2005, 03:22 PM
I received my logos couple weeks ago. They are definitely better than the old logos as expected. I carefully stuck the logos on the grilles and guess what! My 1 year old easily removed a logo from one of my speakers the very next day! He played with it and now it won't stick again. Thank god, he didn't eat it! Finally I took the logos off from my front speakers.

Pros:
-Attractive
-Professional looks

Cons:
-Not child-proof.
-You can't read them from the seating position. From couple of feet the "D" in "ASCEND" looks like an "O".
-Too many letters. Just "Ascend" would be good enough!
-Stickers!! Molded 3-D golden logos as part of the grille would look nicer.

Disclaimer: Logos or no logos, for me just the sound matters and my ascends are awesome!!

Quinn
03-10-2005, 03:29 PM
My kids peeled all the old logos.

Kpt_Krunch
03-10-2005, 11:33 PM
This reminds me - I gotta send my envelope in :eek:

curtis
03-10-2005, 11:49 PM
My kids peeled all the old logos.

You know...I am really happy about my kids and audio/video equipment. They don't seem to have interest in just "playing" with the knobs, buttons, or logos. They just want it to work.

sensibull
03-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Abhi's post reminded me of something I keep meaning to ask. Like him, I have no hope of keeping the logos on my speakers (1-year-old twins), but I do still have some residue of the old glue. Are there any easy ways/tricks of cleaning off the residue from the grills?

Quinn
03-11-2005, 06:35 AM
You know...I am really happy about my kids and audio/video equipment. They don't seem to have interest in just "playing" with the knobs, buttons, or logos. They just want it to work.

Yours aren't under three. Now that the oldest is 4 she just wants to know how to get it to do what she wants.

Kpt_Krunch
03-11-2005, 04:18 PM

You're not going to belive this - Connor (my 2 1/2 year old son) doesn't play with the knobs either - he uses them. When watching a movie, if he finds it too loud, he'll say "Daddy, that's to loud, I turn it down" and he'll walk over to my stereo rack and turn down the volume on the receiver. Thing of it is, I never do that - I always use the remote! And it's not like I don't have 5 or 6 other pieces of equipment on the rack to confuse him. He also knows not to touch the 'good' speakers (he's already destroyed my Kenwoods upstairs, but they were half wrecked to begin with). I think I may have a mini audiophile on my hands :)

edit: Forgot to add - when he was almost two, my sister-in-law came over to babysit him while the wife and I went out. Anyway, she wanted to watch a show (upstairs) but did not know how to get it to turn on. She got the TV on, but that was it. My son actually turned on the receiver (Yamaha upstairs) and pressed the third button from the left (LD/TV) to get the picture, then adjusted the sound for her. It's astounding what kids will pick up! Needless to say she was shocked (and a bit embarrased).

davef
03-16-2005, 12:27 AM
I came home from the office the other day and my 3yr old was using his Home Depot toy drill on my 340 mains, proudly declaring to mommy that he is building speakers. Whatcha think? Hire him now? Wouldn't want him working for my competitors.. trade secrets and all :o

He also proved his technical expertise when he showed me how to put "thomas" into the DVD player... This was quite shocking as he knew exactly what buttons on the player to hit. I wonder how long before I find a sandwich in there :cool:

Lou-the-dog
03-16-2005, 05:01 AM
I wonder how long before I find a sandwich in there :cool:

I'll bet it won't be long. I've found Matchbox cars in the bottom of my subwoofer. The 2 youngest ones were using the port as a "garage".

Randy

Quinn
03-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Just hope he doesn't realized the size similiarities between a slice of bologna and a CD/DVD.

sensibull
03-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Sorry to re-post, but no suggestions for what to use to safely remove the glue residue from the grills? Dave?

metalaaron
03-17-2005, 05:40 AM
i would try a hair dryer?

davef
03-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry to re-post, but no suggestions for what to use to safely remove the glue residue from the grills? Dave?

Hi Sensibull,

Sorry.. missed your first post :o

Honestly, the best way to remove any residual glue is to replace the grille completely. Send me an email and we will take care of you.

Take care!

Nicholas Mosher
03-18-2005, 05:42 PM
came home from the office the other day and my 3yr old was using his Home Depot toy drill on my 340 mains, proudly declaring to mommy that he is building speakers.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

If I ever have kids, I'm going to make a cattle-corral pathway throughout the house to contain the monsters! Or I suppose a run with tracks on the ceiling might work too... :D

sensibull
03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi Sensibull,

Sorry.. missed your first post :o

Honestly, the best way to remove any residual glue is to replace the grille completely. Send me an email and we will take care of you.

Take care!

No problem Dave. Sorry so long in reply and thanks again for showing what excellent customer service is! I'll be in touch...