PDA

View Full Version : Power conditioners

Quinn
01-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Who is using a power conditioner? I picked up a OneAC off fleabay for $15 with shipping for my JVC digital. It did improve the sound. What have you guys experienced?

curtis
01-31-2005, 10:05 AM
I use one. A Tripplite Isolator that I got from eBay.

I have my pre/pro and TV plugged into it. I can't tell if it made a difference to audio, but it did make the TV picture cleaner/nicer.

BradJudy
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
I also recently picked up a OneAC unit from an AudioCircle member. I can't say I noticed an immediate benefit, but it's running on my second system at the moment. It's hard to tell changes with things like power that you can't A/B.

I also have a Tripplite Isobar on this system, so the power has been pre-filtered to some degree. My HT system has a Monster power conditioning strip on it.

I haven't put an o-scope to it, but I think the power at our house is pretty good to begin with.

jermy4
01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Who is using a power conditioner? I picked up a OneAC off fleabay for $15 with shipping for my JVC digital. It did improve the sound. What have you guys experienced?
What was the ebay item number? I have a digital panasonic and for $15 it might be worth trying one of these power conditioners.

Quinn
01-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Search under OneAC or powervar. Those two names seem to be the favorites for cheap power conditioners. $15($2 and $13 for shipping) is low, the seller put in their ad that it was a slightly higher currant output than input when they plugged it in. Of course it will be a little higher out put if nothing is plugged into it but that scared folks off.

I think I have bad electricity, we get power failures nearly monthly.

Kpt_Krunch
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Quinn - I purchased a Monster HTS3600 off ebay for about 1/2 of what I could get for it here in Canada. It gives me piece of mind to be sure (at least somewhat - I'm still looking to get a serial manager device to plug the conditioner into) and it does a great job on cleaning up the video. Not sure about the sound, in terms of normal use. But as with the video, I really notice it when other 'things' are plugged in and on (like a vaccum cleaner or a shredder). In the past before the PC, when my wife would shred something, there would be an audible 'pop' on the speakers, and when running a vacuum, noise on the screen. After getting an installing the Monster HTS3600, no pop, no noise :D and a cleaner video picture.

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Someone on AudioCircle is selling two small OneAC units with upgraded outlets (basically what I have). They are only big enough for something like a CD player and/or dac, but they are also cheap ($25 + S&H).

jermy4
02-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Someone on AudioCircle is selling two small OneAC units with upgraded outlets (basically what I have). They are only big enough for something like a CD player and/or dac, but they are also cheap ($25 + S&H). Not big enough for a digital receiver?

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Not big enough for a digital receiver?

No, these are 1 amp units and that would only mean 120W of power at 100% efficiency. Since digital receivers are 90-95% efficient, that still means only a bit more than 100W total could be used.

jermy4
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
No, these are 1 amp units and that would only mean 120W of power at 100% efficiency. Since digital receivers are 90-95% efficient, that still means only a bit more than 100W total could be used. You seem to understand these specs, which I don't. What specs do I need to look at to make sure the power conditioner will support my panasonic SA-XR10?

BradJudy
02-01-2005, 07:17 PM
You seem to understand these specs, which I don't. What specs do I need to look at to make sure the power conditioner will support my panasonic SA-XR10?

The key item would be if they list the maximum current or power draw. Basically, the number of amps (the current) a device uses can't be greater than the number of amps the power conditioner can handle. If you are given a maximum power draw (lets say 400W) then divide by the voltage (120V) to get the amps (in this case 3.3A).

BillS
02-02-2005, 07:00 PM
I have the Monster HTPS-7000 and I think it makes a world of difference in my system. Picture appears to be more crisp and color saturated. Audio is free from "noise" and sound stage is excellent. Worth the money in my humble opinion.

Bill

Dave Nelms
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I have been using an Audio Power power wedge for years. I cannot even think about using unfiltered AC for home theater or audio.