PDA

View Full Version : forum link in main link header

bamputin
01-31-2005, 09:07 AM
i'd have to say that whenever i visit a website, i quickly scan the 'menu' of links often located at the top of a page (ala ascend) or the left hand side of a page for 'forum'. i'm not alone in this habit and i think many new visitors to the website would find the forum more often from a link nested with the other links (even hidden in support would generate extra traffic) than from the announcement.

:D

Jonnyozero3
01-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Yup - definately a good idea. I went back to the Ascend site (just because I could!) but then it took me a minute to find the link back into the forum (too lazy to retype the address in.). So yeah, a link up top would be great.

curtis
01-31-2005, 10:11 AM
There is a link? Where?

Lou-the-dog
01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
On the home page; "Important Announcement" Please visit our new discussion forums!"

I agree, the link should definitely be in the main header under something like "Community".

bamputin
02-01-2005, 12:17 AM
another good reason to have a link up top - laziness. thanks jonnyozero.

lou - use of the word community would certainly promote a measure of love and yes i'd agree that people normally look for such a word - failing 'forum' - to find a forum.

davef
02-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the recommendations...

Need some advice on this one though.

Our menu bar is full, no room to add another category link and I feel the "community" link should be visible on the menu bar and not on a sub menu..

My idea is to move the "view cart" link to under the "Purchase" header and place the "community" link there.

Any other ideas?

Tell you what.... An Ascend embroidered baseball cap to whomever comes up with the best idea. Post them publicly as I want community feedback on this.

Have fun!

Kpt_Krunch
02-01-2005, 07:58 PM
David - how about replacing "Reviews" with "Community" and in that header nest "Reviews" and "Discussion Forum" or "Community Discussion". As the "Reviews" in the header are community related (both professional and private).

davef
02-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Darn it... And I thought I was going to win a hat ;)

David - how about replacing "Reviews" with "Community" and in that header nest "Reviews" and "Discussion Forum" or "Community Discussion".

I think this idea is far better than mine...

Thanks Kpt_Krunch

Please keep the feedback coming!

Cliff_L
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Another idea -

How about combining Loudspeakers & Featured Products into one category - Featured Products, which would have the different speaker models, subwoofers, electronics, and accessories under that one category, thereby creating space for the Community category.

And another option is to do that and move the reviews under the community option like Kpt Krunch suggested. Two hats if both our ideas are used? ;)

curtis
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
I'll donate my hat if this is used....

Since the forum is like a "support" group....I think it could be put under the Support heading.

bamputin
02-02-2005, 07:58 AM
ok thought long and hard about this one - the 'view cart' link would be the least missed (and most easily found as a sub in the purchase link) out of the menu links.

'community' would replace it, and in the sub menus would be the main active forums, being:

Community

Loudspeakers, Subwoofers, Accessories, Electronics
Setup and How To's
Verified User Reviews
Technical Discussions
Website and Forum Suggestions
Announcements

this would majorly funnel any browser/information seeker straight to the threads he wants. once (or before) they've read the specs, measurements, and rave reviews, they look for the clincher - happy customers. i think you would find that you would draw a LOT of traffic to the forum, even from the very front page. and, let's face it, 'newbie' customers or in general newcomers to ascend, 'fit' best in the forum. in the forum they can ask any questions (who cares if it is answered in the faq or elsewhere on the website) they might have, and receive passionate, informed replies. let's face it, human response is a must for direct dealers (i know it was a major contributing factor to my purchase). on a slightly more holistic angle - with direct access to the most active forums from the very front page, they'll quickly run into the real guts of ascend's success - word of mouth.

pegleg
02-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Maybe I'm dense, but I was not able to find a link today, Feb. 17. The phrasing needs to be pretty clear, too. Something like "Ascend Users group".

Pegleg