PDA

View Full Version : L12 for PC

MrGuru
05-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Hi there - I've just upgraded my PC speaker setup - I'm currently using a pair of CBM 170's with a Micca OriGain DAC/amp for power. I have ordered a Rythmik L12 for a sub that I plan to connect to the Micca via the pre-out port and my question is this - will setting the crossover to 80Hz on the sub tell the CBM 170s to not bother with anything below 80Hz or will I need another piece of equipment to sort that part out? If so, what is recommended?

Thanks!

natetg57
05-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Hi there - I've just upgraded my PC speaker setup - I'm currently using a pair of CBM 170's with a Micca OriGain DAC/amp for power. I have ordered a Rythmik L12 for a sub that I plan to connect to the Micca via the pre-out port and my question is this - will setting the crossover to 80Hz on the sub tell the CBM 170s to not bother with anything below 80Hz or will I need another piece of equipment to sort that part out? If so, what is recommended?

Thanks!

No, there is no way for your Micca amp to know what setting you have on your subwoofer. You could try to add some sort of passive high pass crossover between the amp and the speakers, or just integrate the subwoofer as well as you can using the crossover and phase knobs. There is a nice guide on Rythmik's website on how to do this. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/phase1.html

rjkruk
05-13-2019, 08:13 AM
This might be helpful
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/high-pass-filter.html

MrGuru
05-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reply, Nate.

Alternatively, would it be easier to just get a inexpensive AVR and use the Micca for something else?

natetg57
05-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, Nate.

Alternatively, would it be easier to just get a inexpensive AVR and use the Micca for something else?

That's definitely a possibility if you have the space for one. Since you already have the Micca, I would suggest trying to integrate it and see how you like it. Maybe try lowering the crossover to 60. I'm guessing it'll still sound really good without a crossover on the 170s. But someone else with more experience might be able to chime in.

MrGuru
06-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Got the L12 hooked up and set the crossover to 80hz, and left the phase knob alone at 180 degrees. Volume around 1 o'clock, and it sounds great so far! Ran a REW sweep and it's mostly flat between 25hz - 200hz, with some peaks around 60ish. I might try out some filters in REW but I think I'm pretty satisfied.

Question: I tried reading the phase guide and I was way over my head. What do most people do with that knob?

jimb
06-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Mostly, it's to get the crossover region to add, in phase, without a dip. So maximizing performance around 80 Hz would be the key to optimizing that knob.

curtis
06-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Mostly, it's to get the crossover region to add, in phase, without a dip. So maximizing performance around 80 Hz would be the key to optimizing that knob.
Yup...if you are setting the crossover to 80hz for sub/speaker, play an 80hz tone, sit at the listening position, and play with the phase on the sub until the 80hz tone is the loudest.

In other words, when the combination of speaker and sub crossed-over at 80hz is the loudest at 80hz at a certain phase adjustment/angle, then they are in phase.

Two people and a decibel/spl meter makes it easy.

MrGuru
06-08-2019, 06:58 AM
Yup...if you are setting the crossover to 80hz for sub/speaker, play an 80hz tone, sit at the listening position, and play with the phase on the sub until the 80hz tone is the loudest.

In other words, when the combination of speaker and sub crossed-over at 80hz is the loudest at 80hz at a certain phase adjustment/angle, then they are in phase.

Two people and a decibel/spl meter makes it easy.

Thank you for dumbing it down for me - that makes sense. Thank you!!

I assume the dB meter on the REW software will work just fine when using a setup mic?

Also, I currently have the slope set to 12dB.

curtis
06-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Thank you for dumbing it down for me - that makes sense. Thank you!!

I assume the dB meter on the REW software will work just fine when using a setup mic?

Also, I currently have the slope set to 12dB.
Yup, that will work fine, and you will get a visual representation.

Switch between 12db and 24db slopes to see which you like better.

MrGuru
06-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I tinkered around with REW and various settings on the back of the sub and leaving the phase at 180 was the best result - along with 12dB (24dB did not really make much of a difference) for the slope setting. I had a pretty decent flat curve already, with a little dip around 30Hz, so I tweaked the EQ filter a little bit, and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

MrGuru
06-09-2019, 12:12 PM
This isn't directly related to my L12, but I thought I'd post my final 2.1 PC setup:

MLP: https://i.imgur.com/Ty13XjH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DzBes7Q.jpg

fahadabbas
12-24-2020, 03:41 AM
Hi there