PDA

View Full Version : center channel speaker placement

esingley
09-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Hey all - this is probably one of those "just try it and see" issues, but would love other people's opinion as I don't always trust my own ear.

Short version: will angle-ing up a center speaker prevent any interference from the cabinet it's sitting on?

Longer version:

I'm planning on procuring a Luna center when it's released, so I'm planning the entire rest of my setup around it. :)

So, my plan is to place there Luna center on my media cabinet below the TV. I understand that the one issue there is that one should place the center at the front edge of the cabinet such that it doesn't interfere with the output. The problem for me with placing the speaker at the edge is aesthetic: this will cause there to be some visible, trailing cords behind the speaker. On the other hand, if I put the speaker against the wall, there will be about a foot of cabinet in front of the speaker. So, my question is that if I angle the speaker up a few degrees (which I need to do anyway to make it hit hear height), and maybe put some 1/2'' feet on it, will that take care of any sound interference from the cabinet?

Appreciate the perspective!

Bruce Watson
09-03-2018, 01:52 PM
The problem for me with placing the speaker at the edge is aesthetic: this will cause there to be some visible, trailing cords behind the speaker. On the other hand, if I put the speaker against the wall, there will be about a foot of cabinet in front of the speaker. So, my question is that if I angle the speaker up a few degrees (which I need to do anyway to make it hit hear height), and maybe put some 1/2'' feet on it, will that take care of any sound interference from the cabinet?

No it will not. You really should find a way to pull the speaker forward so that the drivers clear any cabinet or TV parts. You don't have to believe me; it's really easy to try for yourself. Try it both ways, see how much of a difference it makes to you. Maybe you can live with it reflecting off the cabinet work. I know I can't.

esingley
09-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Bruce! Follow-ups:

1. Mounting the Luna center on the wall below the TV might be an option. The problem is that the TV will already be a bit higher than ideal, so I'm trying to position the speaker such that that I can move the TV down as low as possible. How high off the cabinet would I need to mount the speaker to avoid any interference?
2. Mounting the speaker on the wall above the TV might be an option, too. I'd just have to angle the speaker down towards my position. That a better option?

Bruce Watson
09-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Bruce! Follow-ups:

1. Mounting the Luna center on the wall below the TV might be an option. The problem is that the TV will already be a bit higher than ideal, so I'm trying to position the speaker such that that I can move the TV down as low as possible. How high off the cabinet would I need to mount the speaker to avoid any interference?
2. Mounting the speaker on the wall above the TV might be an option, too. I'd just have to angle the speaker down towards my position. That a better option?

My center channel (Sierra-2) is mounted over my TV, angles slightly down to point at my main listening position. It's a custom bracket I built, and I understand that not everyone can or wants to build such a thing (but my wife said it's OK, so there's that ;-) Works great -- because it puts the front edge of the speaker even with (actually slightly in front of) the TV. That way none of the direct sound from the speaker can bounce off the top edge of the TV, or the back, and cause audible artifacts.

The point here is that you don't want to block direct sound coming from the speaker, nor do you want to bounce the sound off nearby surfaces. However that gets done seems to work IME.

esnewtunemakers
10-04-2019, 05:57 PM
Not sure if it's the right place for this question, but seems to be...

Is it important to have the center channel "front face" aligned with the L/R speaker "front faces"?

I'm asking because the answer will help decide how I move forward with re-doing my room: wall mount the TV or put it on a stand?

Wall mounting would result in the center channel a bit closer to the back wall than the L/R, while the stand option would more naturally align the front "faces" of L/C/R.

If it matters, it will be Towers and Horizon (w/RAALs)

davef
10-09-2019, 01:20 AM
Not sure if it's the right place for this question, but seems to be...

Is it important to have the center channel "front face" aligned with the L/R speaker "front faces"?

I'm asking because the answer will help decide how I move forward with re-doing my room: wall mount the TV or put it on a stand?

Wall mounting would result in the center channel a bit closer to the back wall than the L/R, while the stand option would more naturally align the front "faces" of L/C/R.

If it matters, it will be Towers and Horizon (w/RAALs)

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to have the center "aligned" with the front left/right speakers. However, with most decent receivers these days, differences in SPL and arrival times will be compensated for by DSP. Sometimes this type of processing can add more problems than it resolves, so if you are a purist - it is best to have the speakers as closely aligned as your setup/positioning will allow.

Hope this make sense!

esnewtunemakers
10-09-2019, 07:00 PM
Thanks Dave! It does make sense, and helps with another variable that isn't discussed much (as far as I could find).