PDA

View Full Version : Capture/Analysis of amp output to detect clipping w/RAAL Tower

Sbrom
01-31-2018, 08:28 AM
I moved my system to a larger space. As expected it takes more amplifier power to drive the Sierra RAAL Towers to the same listening level. My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2050, rated at 140 Watts with 2-channels driven into 8 Ohms.

This leads me to a project I've considered for some time. Using a DSO I plan to capture and analyze (looking for clipping) the differential voltage at the speaker terminals while playing music and calibrated tone bursts.

Ascend has provided impedance plots for the RAAL Tower, which will help me to estimate true amplifier power at a given frequency.

I'll work my way up in successive volume levels until I reach either A) my normal listening level, or B) amplifier clipping.

Anything I should be wary of from a speaker perspective?

Thanks,
Steve

davef
01-31-2018, 03:26 PM
I moved my system to a larger space. As expected it takes more amplifier power to drive the Sierra RAAL Towers to the same listening level. My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2050, rated at 140 Watts with 2-channels driven into 8 Ohms.

This leads me to a project I've considered for some time. Using a DSO I plan to capture and analyze (looking for clipping) the differential voltage at the speaker terminals while playing music and calibrated tone bursts.

Ascend has provided impedance plots for the RAAL Tower, which will help me to estimate true amplifier power at a given frequency.

I'll work my way up in successive volume levels until I reach either A) my normal listening level, or B) amplifier clipping.

Anything I should be wary of from a speaker perspective?

Thanks,
Steve

I really don't recommend doing this -- sine wave tone bursts have very high crest factors and do not represent music. These can be very damaging to speaker components, especially as you reach higher power levels. Ribbon tweeters, especially, should not be subjected to this type of signal.

Just stick with music - no reason to use tone bursts.

Sbrom
01-31-2018, 04:11 PM
I really don't recommend doing this -- sine wave tone bursts have very high crest factors and do not represent music. These can be very damaging to speaker components, especially as you reach higher power levels. Ribbon tweeters, especially, should not be subjected to this type of signal.

Just stick with music - no reason to use tone bursts.

I appreciate it, I knew you’d have some important advice. Understood. Music-only it is!

Thanks,
Steve