PDA

View Full Version : Ordered pair of FV15HPs, what cables...

Fast351
05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
I just ordered a pair of FV15HPs for my theater room. I'm placing the subs 1/2 way up the side walls. The room is a 20x40 rectangle, screen on the 20' wall, so the subs are 20' back from the front wall. That has me needing long sub cables. The equipment is front left, so the left sub probably needs about a 25' cable, and the right sub probably closer to 50'.

I realize a cable discussion is opening a can of worms, but you can buy cables as cheap as $6 (Monoprice RG59U RCA cable) all the way up to sky is the limit.

I don't mind spending a few bucks on a decent set of cables, but is there really any difference in the sound of different cables? My gut says no, but I could be convinced...

So, what says the collective?

ballen
05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
My opinion is to go with Monoprice or if you want to spend a little more, then Blue Jeans Cable. I've never owned expensive cables, but I've read enough accounts of blind tests where folks couldn't distinguish between 'premium' versus 'cheap' cables.

The only concern would be the length. I believe there are limits to the length you should be running RCA cables, but I believe 50 feet is within the limit. Might be worth double checking.

DaveHo
05-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Will the Monoprice cables work? Of course they will, in fact I'm running one of their 35ft cables to a subwoofer in my Zone 2 system. It's been working fine for several years. That said, to me, their RCA cables are pretty stiff, look cheap & feel cheap. I'm not a fan of the connectors either , but for something that won't be touched, it'll be fine. Would I use them in my main system, no. On the other hand, Blue Jeans cable offers high quality cable & connectors, for not a lot of money. I use them extensively in my main system.

Fast351
05-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Yeah I was thinking either the LC-1 cables from BJC (wind up being $72 for a 45 foot cable, with the benefit I can order it in any length I want) or the SVS Soundpath cables, which get high marks on AVS for being of excellent build quality. Their 15M cable is $60.

It sounds to me once you get over the "adequate coax for subwoofer applications" level, the biggest difference is the quality of the connectors. I have heard complaints on both the Monoprice and the Mediabridge ULTRA (Amazon cables) of having Chi-Fi connectors on them.

I guess after spending $2550 on subs, I should just bite the bullet and spend $120 on cables.

sludgeogre
05-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Pretty much any cable will work, but some will be less prone to noise over long distances, and others just have crappy connectors. With line level gear it's much less of an issue, but with turntables you can hear some of the noise that crap cables will pick up over a distance because the gain adjustment is so high. With line level equipment the gain is far lower and you just won't ever hear any of the noise the cable may or may not pick up.

I just have to say that I have grown to really despise Monoprice, though. I just had yet another 20 foot HDMI cable fail on me the other day, my projector started losing the source signal once every hour or sometimes more. After swapping to a different cable, the problem went away. With their RCA cables, the connectors aren't a continuous circle of metal made to a decent tolerance to make a good connection, it's a a few curved pins that form a circle. I've had those pins break off, be too tight to actually connect to a piece or gear, or get seated and then when I need to remove them have damaged my equipment by yanking on the jack so hard. They're also made out of a low grade of PVC that is easy to damage. I've also bought a few cell phone chargers from them, all of which have died in less than a year. Everything I buy from them ends up causing me pain at some point.

Blue Jeans makes an insanely great quality product. Everything I've gotten from them has been a connect it and forget it endeavor. All of their products don't seem to wear either, they all look brand new, even after swapping around in different systems. I really think it's well worth the price.